Moors | Vital Football

Moors

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Should be a good test for Pools.
Our dodgy home form vs Moors away form.

It will be interesting to see who is in the Pools dugout for this game.

Obviously I posted my initial musings before the announcement on the official website regarding Dave Challinor being set to take charge, though it still remains unclear when he will assume his duties as manager.
As I said before Saturdays game, most teams get a positive bounce from new managerial appointments, however with Pools!!!!!

Last edited:
It says on the Mail website that Sweeney remains in charge for tonight's fixture with Challinor taking over later in the week. I gather he will be at the game but not in the dugout. Solihull are another form team who will provide a stern test. Lets hope we don't have any more comedy goalkeeping from Mr Killip this evening. Watched video of first goal Notts scored against us and it was almost identical to the second goal Dagenham scored against us a few weeks back. I was at the Daggers game and saw it first hand. The only difference was the County goal was on the Right of the box whereas the Daggers goal was on the Left. On both occasions Killip charges out to the edge of the area, a Pools defender and an opposition forward are there and the forward gets a touch and puts it into the empty net. Absolutely disgraceful. If you come out that far you get the ball and their player as well if necessary. Ok you could argue the Dagenham bawls up was an "uncharacteristic error" but why the fook is he doing exactly the same thing six weeks later? Killip has his strengths but he is unreliable which is why I hope Challinor shows him the door.

Much as it hurts to say the better team won tonight.
Pools did create some good opportunities in the first 30 minutes, but then seemed to lose their way and energy.
Even after halftime Moors were dominant and could have scored on a couple of occasions prior to the goal being scored. Once they were ahead they just sat back and allowed Pools to pass the ball around in front of two banks of four.
Pools lack that cutting edge to take chances when created and the physicality to compete with the dominant teams in this league.

The referee tonight was good and tried to let the game flow, but it must be impossible to deal with players intent on pushing rules to the limit and beyond. Time wasting is indemic as is clutching your head after the most innocuous of collisions, hopefully Challinor will be able to instill these traits into our players so we are at least competitive .

Killip made some good saves and couldn't be faulted for the goal, he did make a charge from his line which, but for Kioso covering, could have led to the opening goal. However, he was left exposed by his defence and probably was right to come out and challenge for the ball.

Thanks for the report OP. I guess we were due an average performance. Maybe they were fatigued after Saturday when they ran Notts ragged for almost all of the first half and still looked for goals in the second half. Looking forward to Challinor taking over but good to see Sweens will still have a role to play. I hope Yeovil doesn't come too soon for them.

Killip has his strengths but he is unreliable which is why I hope Challinor shows him the door.
Killip is a National League keeper because he makes mistakes. That's why he's playing in this league. If you don't want unreliable players you shouldn't watch National League football.

Killip is OK.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate all keepers make errors but I just cant accept that a keeper makes the same obvious howler(embarrassing and crazy) within weeks of the first instance. It seems to me it is evidence of lack of judgement. I don't deny that on his day, Killip is a very good shot stopper but I feel he is costing us too many points. It is no surprise his last club got relegated.

Think we’ve been blessed cos we’ve had keepers in the recent past [at this level] who have saved us points, in particular Loach and Carson, and it’s been evident. The blame doesn’t lay at Killip’s feet, it’s Hignett who wanted rid of Loach and brought in Ben.
We’ll never know what might have been, we have an opportunity to see what might be, with experience, particularly in Killip’s case.

Let’s ride it out and see where the new gaffer takes us.

:red:

Killip, like Loach and Carson before him, is a decent shot stopper. However, like his predecessors he isn't great on crosses; plus the defence in front of him are easily turned and lack pace to recover. Thus he finds himself rushing out from his goal to try and act as a sweeper!
Generally his distribution is decent too.