MK Dons | Page 3 | Vital Football

MK Dons

• Thread starter Deleted member 11413
  • Start date
Although if Power had left that ball go past him like Morsey did for their goal, and then nearly the same thing shortly afterwards, he would have been labelled as dross

Max was more at fault for that goal then morsy. Elder/walton more so. Max was out on the right wing pressing, leaving sam to cover two positions in front of the defence. Certain areas of the pitch the defence/space covered has to be a priority, whilst maintaining pressure from the correct positions. That was massey's job to apply pressure. Haven't seen the goal again but all you see from max when defending is his extremely slow movement and arms pointing to someone to cover him. Morsy has questionable positioning compared to evans/fulton had/have but he makes up for it with work rate and desire to get back at players. Max has far worse positioning and zero desire to work back.

That Morsy tweet about Massey tells me that players definitely read social media and perhaps forums as well. He did well but was nowhere near MOTM yet Morsy personally made a point to praise him. I suspect Massey is well aware of the criticism fans have been (rightly) throwing at his door and it has perhaps affected his confidence. As for Power he’s been rubbish for a while now after that purple patch. His set pieces have glossed over his general play. Desperately need an upgrade to play with Sam next season. I don’t expect Max’s closet father Moonay to like this post.

To be fair to Massey ( and I have been critical) there surely must be a better player in there than he shows. Thing is , as was the case yesterday, he seems to shine when the game is won and takes on a confident persona running aggressively at the defence when the pressure is off. Problem is when the game is tight or in the balance he disappears, hides and doesn't want the ball.

It may be a confidence thing but will be no use to us next season against much better opposition.

Quite honestly I find it baffling that there's so much negativity after a 5-1 drubbing that quite conceivably could have been 7 or 8 as was the case against Oxford. Only Wigan fans!

I know the rather cynical nature of this fanbase means there's always at least one elected scapegoat per season - and in this case Massey and Elder - but I really can't see how either can be criticised after their performances yesterday. It seems Colclough and James (the latter in particular) have contracted the Espinoza bug in that they seem to get better with each game they don't play!

The last time James played he was absolutely dominated by Scunthorpe's front line and eaten for breakfast by Ivan Toney before being hauled off just after half-time.

Massey's cross for the third goal was spell-binding yesterday, and he was the catalyst for the fifth goal with a burst of energy beyond what you'd expect for a player who's already played over an hour of football. Likewise Elder supplied a magnificent delivery only for Roberts to make a complete hash of the finish.

Let's not forget that Elder and Massey were both superb against Premier League opposition on a consistent basis, so clearly they're capable players and huge parts of a team on their way to amassing 100 points so I don't really see why they must always be subject to such vitriol.

People seem to be blaming Elder for the MK Dons goal yesterday, when if anything it was Morsy's fault for hesitating and not clearing the through ball which caught the back-line by surprise - if that was Elder or Massey they wouldn't have heard the end of it on here!

Players make mistakes, but I'm convinced that some on here will criticise certain players no matter how well they play, which can't be any good for their confidence...

We won 5-1, smile a little bit! :please:

Dan burn was dominated by Ivan toney.

Mk defended like us last season under joyce, affording us time and space on the ball. It was far too easy, i like the fact that our mangement say we had to work hard for it, just to try and increase the magnitude of our win. When we smashed oxford that was a legit dominating win. Yesterday we played a team with a manager that has averaged less than 1 point per game.

I'd like to know distance covered by James when he played, as he was on the overlap every attack down the left, far more than byrne on the right and he was always back in time to defend. He's not as good with the ball as byrne or as quick but a far better athlete and defender. Compared to elder he's a far better player, only advantage elder has is his size.

Players that perform only with time and space(like yesterday) will not perform next season in the championship if we go up.

Quite honestly I find it baffling that there's so much negativity after a 5-1 drubbing that quite conceivably could have been 7 or 8 as was the case against Oxford. Only Wigan fans!

I know the rather cynical nature of this fanbase means there's always at least one elected scapegoat per season - and in this case Massey and Elder - but I really can't see how either can be criticised after their performances yesterday. It seems Colclough and James (the latter in particular) have contracted the Espinoza bug in that they seem to get better with each game they don't play!

The last time James played he was absolutely dominated by Scunthorpe's front line and eaten for breakfast by Ivan Toney before being hauled off just after half-time.

Massey's cross for the third goal was spell-binding yesterday, and he was the catalyst for the fifth goal with a burst of energy beyond what you'd expect for a player who's already played over an hour of football. Likewise Elder supplied a magnificent delivery only for Roberts to make a complete hash of the finish.

Let's not forget that Elder and Massey were both superb against Premier League opposition on a consistent basis, so clearly they're capable players and huge parts of a team on their way to amassing 100 points so I don't really see why they must always be subject to such vitriol.

People seem to be blaming Elder for the MK Dons goal yesterday, when if anything it was Morsy's fault for hesitating and not clearing the through ball which caught the back-line by surprise - if that was Elder or Massey they wouldn't have heard the end of it on here!

Players make mistakes, but I'm convinced that some on here will criticise certain players no matter how well they play, which can't be any good for their confidence...

We won 5-1, smile a little bit! :please:

Massey has been shite and anonymous for the majority of the season, his starting place in recent months has been unwarranted in my opinion. He played well yesterday but doing so once in a blue moon isn't good enough.

It can’t just be me sick to death of this Espinoza talk. That’s an FA Cup winner and club legend you’re on about there. How about showing him the respect he deserves. He’s better than this entire squad put together. James is rubbish.

Good result, although I thought 5-1 flattered us, over the 90 mins it was closer than that.
I can understand why PC plays Massey he comes back to defend which suits PC system of 1 up front. Saying that if you defend you need to win the ball and on more than 2 occasions in the 50/situation he failed to do that.

Really Dragnet? I thought the score flattered them. They were awful at the back. When we attacked at pace they were static and had no answer to us apart from constant fouling.
The lead up to their goal came from a foul on Bryne. The injustice of it clearly annoyed us and we probably lost concentration giving them a chance to temporarily get on top.

It can’t just be me sick to death of this Espinoza talk. That’s an FA Cup winner and club legend you’re on about there. How about showing him the respect he deserves. He’s better than this entire squad put together. James is rubbish.

I never said an ill word about him, I simply suggested he became better with every game he didn't start.

Massey has been shite and anonymous for the majority of the season, his starting place in recent months has been unwarranted in my opinion. He played well yesterday but doing so once in a blue moon isn't good enough.
Correct. I'm not sure he's been shite, it's tough to judge when he doesn't actually do anything. But it is shite to be so anonymous so often.
Not sure I agree he played well yesterday, but he did do three things that I can actually remember for a change. The cross for Powell's goal, the run for Griggs 3rd, although if he'd played a good pass to Jacobs, Jacobs would have been the scorer. And the shot he Hardin the first half, whilst it was poorly executed, I was pleased that he made the decision to have a go, I believe it was the right decision.

But overall I don't see the use of a winger that either can't or won't attempt to go past a defender.