MK Dons (A) | Page 7 | Vital Football

MK Dons (A)

Apparently, Gavin Massey has deleted his twitter account after receiving substantial abuse - some of it reportedly racial - following last night's game.

It's one thing voicing off on a message board, but to hound someone directly in this way is just sad.

I think it goes without saying that we can be critical or a players performance and attitude without directly messaging them abuse. You can understand fans frustration and need to vent, but some folks don't seem to understand where the line is and professional and private begin and end. Messaging him abuse is not going to inspire him to play any better, it will just ensure he keeps playing as badly - if there was any racist abuse the club will take action and ban a fan as they did in the past and the police will likely follow up. So at the end of the day it is a zero sum game for everyone.

It's the nature of Twitter though you give everyone a direct opportunity to say things to you and unfortunately a lot of people can't be trusted to behave reasonably with that power. If you found a cure for cancer someone would still have a go at you on Twitter, so if you are a footballer playing as badly as Massey is he is going to get hammered. I genuinely don't know why footballers even read their mentions or search their name especially after having such a torrid game - as it can't do you any good.

I've just seen one of the MK Dons goal and it's made me the maddest I've been for a while. Gavin Massey, if you don't want to wear our shirt then do us all a favour and refuse to play. I'll take a kid like Obi who may be out of his depth, but will work his arse off and give his best for our shirt all day long over that waste of space.

When the likes of Kal Naismith and Joe Garner leave this club, they'll be remembered not just for last season, but for continuing to give their all for the cause when all their teammates had been sold, but no one wanted them. Massey however, will be remembered as a gutless quitter. Enjoy the 12k a week you are currently taking from our club Gavin, because mark my words you won't get a payday even half that size for the rest of your career.

He's not on 12k a week. He wasn't on that in the Championship and he has taken a 50% pay cut since after relegation.

The 12k myth came from a website guessing figures, many of which were demonstrably incorrect.

The other thing i'd say about Massey is i think he's not so much lazy as he is devoid of confidence and goes hiding. He was like this in L1 and in the second season in the Championship. I genuinely don't think he's going out there thinking 'i can't be arsed' but i don't think he's got any bottle and hides rather than takes responsibility out of mental weakness rather than malice. It ends up at the same type of performance but i wouldn't say he's looking at the opposition saying 'i could skin him but i can't be bothered in L1' more he's so terrified of making a mistake so he just tries to avoid doing anything.

Last edited:
Messaging him abuse is not going to inspire him to play any better, it will just ensure he keeps playing as badly - if there was any racist abuse the club will take action and ban a fan as they did in the past and the police will likely follow up. So at the end of the day it is a zero sum game
Fully agree on the racist point.
Otherwise he deserves everything he gets. Shocking attitude and application, not fit to wear the shirt never mind picking up his significant salary for doing basically feck all.
Tbh more often than not he has delivered a zero sum game 🤬

He's not on 12k a week. He wasn't on that in the Championship and he has taken a 50% pay cut since after relegation.

The 12k myth came from a website guessing figures, many of which were demonstrably incorrect.

The other thing i'd say about Massey is i think he's not so much lazy as he is devoid of confidence and goes hiding. He was like this in L1 and in the second season in the Championship. I genuinely don't think he's going out there thinking 'i can't be arsed' but i don't think he's got any bottle and hides rather than takes responsibility out of mental weakness rather than malice. It ends up at the same type of performance but i wouldn't say he's looking at the opposition saying 'i could skin him but i can't be bothered in L1' more he's so terrified of making a mistake so he just tries to avoid doing anything.
Or he's just shit ?

What it probably means is what little effort our Gav has been putting in will reduce even more now if that's possible out of spite towards the perpetrators. How long has he left contract wise ?

Or he's just shit ?

We know he's not usless as we've seen him rip teams to shreads on his day. The issue is he hasn't had one of those days in 18 months or so.

There is a very good player in there somewhere but you wouldn't know it watching him last season or this one.

Fully agree on the racist point.
Otherwise he deserves everything he gets. Shocking attitude and application, not fit to wear the shirt never mind picking up his significant salary for doing basically feck all.
Tbh more often than not he has delivered a zero sum game 🤬

Am I reading ur post right Hampton, you saying apart from the possible racist tweets he's received, all the other personal abuse on his twitter feed is ok???

Am I reading ur post right Hampton, you saying apart from the possible racist tweets he's received, all the other personal abuse on his twitter feed is ok???

If the abuse is criticism of his attitude, application and ability as a footballer on the pitch, then I think Hampton might have a point, he has been dreadful so far this season to be fair.
I suspect however, that the main problem is probably down to confidence, and he would rather not attempt to get too involved for fear of failing to do to succeed and therfore create further problems.
If the abuse is aimed at him as a person or anything other than as a footballing representative of Wigan Athletic then it is not on as he has always come across as a thoroughly nice chap in any dealings I have had with him over the last few years.
He should be ripping L1 defences apart week in week out but it is just not happening at the moment and sooner or later he will have to be dropped as its like playing with 10 men on the pitch at the moment.
I hope he turns the corner and proves us critics wrong and gets to stick two fingers up to us all.

He's never ripped L1 defences apart in his entire career. Was one of the worst players in our title winning season, Colclough was far more effective.

No Jock not on a personal account - on here and on other public areas.
Also don't believe calling out a very well paid player (who we can't really afford even if he was ripping up trees) for a lack of effort and commitment = abuse.
If anything it's the other way round and it's the club and it's fans who are on the receiving end.
Sure the thousands of pounds dropping into his bank account will soften any hurt feelings caused by folk criticising his application.

If the abuse is criticism of his attitude, application and ability as a footballer on the pitch, then I think Hampton might have a point, he has been dreadful so far this season to be fair.
I suspect however, that the main problem is probably down to confidence, and he would rather not attempt to get too involved for fear of failing to do to succeed and therfore create further problems.
If the abuse is aimed at him as a person or anything other than as a footballing representative of Wigan Athletic then it is not on as he has always come across as a thoroughly nice chap in any dealings I have had with him over the last few years.
He should be ripping L1 defences apart week in week out but it is just not happening at the moment and sooner or later he will have to be dropped as its like playing with 10 men on the pitch at the moment.
I hope he turns the corner and proves us critics wrong and gets to stick two fingers up to us all.

The irony is that we need and want him to be successful, despite everyone's criticism. He needs a cuddle not a left hook!

He's never ripped L1 defences apart in his entire career. Was one of the worst players in our title winning season, Colclough was far more effective.

Agreed ...any player ruled so much by confidence ultimately are neither use or feckin ornament to a struggling team. The stars have to be in alignment to get a mythical half decent game out of them. Not worth the effort.

Agreed ...any player ruled so much by confidence ultimately are neither use or feckin ornament to a struggling team. The stars have to be in alignment to get a mythical half decent game out of them. Not worth the effort.

Being the eternal joker Hindley I guess you will be saddened at the death from COVID-19 of the great Bobby Ball

Being the eternal joker Hindley I guess you will be saddened at the death from COVID-19 of the great Bobby Ball

I'm saddened to hear of the passing of anyone zak...not a comedy genre that I found funny but he was a proper Lancashire lad so God rest his soul.

I remember back in the early 80's when Bobby Ball was one of the most famous men in the country. I was part of an end of season Sunday League football club trip. There must have been 15-20 of us, been out all day (licensing hours permitting) and we were in the big bar at the end of the North Pier. Cannon and Ball were performing in the North Pier theatre that night. It must have been an intermission, or maybe a support act was on, but they both came into the bar where we were.

You can imagine the reaction of all those late teens/twenties blokes and they could easily have either walked off or just ignored us, but they came across and sat at the table ands had a pint with us and were genuine blokes and also genuinely funny blokes.

Although like Hindley, their act wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, I've had a soft spot for them ever since and feel really sad at his passing.