Mission accomplished: The Championship | Page 2 | Vital Football

Mission accomplished: The Championship

Whilst there have been many clubs over the years rise through the divisions only to come crashing down again, this feels refreshingly different

Both the board and management seem to be planning for the future every bit as they are the current season

They're re-building an entire football club. Not only is the playing staff constantly being 'upgraded' to ensure they remain competitive, but the entire infrastructure from the youth academy, training facilities, backroom staff, club facilities, fanzone, community links etc, etc. They're definitely trying to build something sustainable

I wouldn't be surprised when the Cowley's do eventually move on, their replacements are already groomed and appointed from within

Of course the future can't be guaranteed, but this doesn't look like the typical 'boom & bust' story to me

Whilst there have been many clubs over the years rise through the divisions only to come crashing down again, this feels refreshingly different

Both the board and management seem to be planning for the future every bit as they are the current season

They're re-building an entire football club. Not only is the playing staff constantly being 'upgraded' to ensure they remain competitive, but the entire infrastructure from the youth academy, training facilities, backroom staff, club facilities, fanzone, community links etc, etc. They're definitely trying to build something sustainable

I wouldn't be surprised when the Cowley's do eventually move on, their replacements are already groomed and appointed from within

Of course the future can't be guaranteed, but this doesn't look like the typical 'boom & bust' story to me
building an entire football club... do you think they want to do what wenger did. was that long chat with him another defining moment?
i am really looking forward to the cowleys getting to grips with the academy... they love working with children, and one of the best ways to circumvent the expense of buying players in, is to grow your own.

Let’s not kid ourselves - as soon as the Cowleys leave and/or we have an extended bad patch crowds will drop off. Some couldn’t even be bothered to hang around on Saturday to see if we’d been promoted. Making costly changes to the stadium off the back of these ‘fans’ doesn’t make much sense to me.

Let’s not kid ourselves - as soon as the Cowleys leave and/or we have an extended bad patch crowds will drop off. Some couldn’t even be bothered to hang around on Saturday to see if we’d been promoted. Making costly changes to the stadium off the back of these ‘fans’ doesn’t make much sense to me.

I both strongly agree and strongly disagree with this. Of course demand grows and contracts with results but you have to build for success and have to pick the right moment to do it.

I have no idea what the limit of our supporter base looks like but if we’re going to progress we have to find a way to ensure supply matches demand. We won’t achieve our potential if we plan our infrastructure around failure.

With Clive and the other
decent board members, we could still appoint a good successor to the Cowley's when they move on. Just because D&N move it doesn't necessarily mean we would plummet like a stone.

The point I was trying to make is, I believe both the management and board already have one eye on a future beyond the Cowleys. I really don't think Danny & Nicky would like to see everything they achieve come crashing down after they leave. I think they're all trying to build something which will last

It's debatable how much extra seating capacity we need. Without a doubt attendances will rise and fall with success and failure. Every time we lose a single game someone says we've lost the plot and are out of our depth!. Where our level settles remains to be seen

I also suspect (but hope I'm wrong) that we might find L1 tougher than we think at first. I'll be content with mid table security for the first season and push on from there - but hey who knows, these guys have a habit of winning!

There is no doubting the last 3 years have been spectacular , both in results on the iel and the way the City have responded in attendances. Certainly different from when i used to visit on a reguar basis .

However i do feel , and IMO , the jump from league 2 to league one , is greater than from the National to Legue 2 .

there is a saying "dont run before you can walk" , which might be prevelent here , as Notty said lets deal with this new league before any talk of the championship . Predictions are not my style, who knows what will happen , but it will be interesting. Some good teams in the League one , ill be keeping my eye on Millwall , hoping they dont go down , then again .............

As for the Cowleys , a good start to the season will get some championship managers looking , people on another site have already mentioned one or two , but its all conjecture .

Still much will change before the new season . Enjoy it all

My opinion - our regular max attendance including away support is around 12k even if doing well in the championship. So a 10k stadium isn't massively below that, as it stands.

As to additional commercial revenue streams at a new stadium I have yet to be convinced.

fewer imps can get into the local derby games... or any high profile games... than can get into the low profile games... i would call that an issue, both from the revenue point of view, and from the home advantage point of view.

likely to be happening a lot more next season [or even every home game?], and next season was what i was actually referring to.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm sure I heard Liam say there has only been two home matches truly over subcribed: Macc @ home in the NL and Saturday's match v Cheltenham.

Last edited:
I'm cautiously hopeful, but need to be aware that for every Luton there is an Accrington. Massively different circumstances I understand, but I don't think we are going to walk league one.

Slow and steady and all that.

My opinion - our regular max attendance including away support is around 12k even if doing well in the championship. So a 10k stadium isn't massively below that, as it stands.

As to additional commercial revenue streams at a new stadium I have yet to be convinced.

I feel like Championship would be a game changer. I completely appreciate we have fans travelling from all over the country but I think we would attract more of a regional support base for that level of football ... the ones that would almost certainly drift away again if relegated.

Has anyone really wanting a tix for a home match, not been able to get one? My reading of it, that has not been the case for the majority of home matches. I know its happened on occasions for away matches, but a redeveloped SB or a new stadium isn't going to solve that.
Maybe not those really wanting one, but I know of casual suuporters who don't attempt to get tickets. For instance my daughter lives away, comes home for the odd weekend but there's no way she would want a ticket to sit on her own in the SW. Also let's say we have to give the SW to away fans then the picture changes completely surely

Only time I've not managed to get a ticket was for Everton away and even then I think I could have got one late on but had made other arrangements by then.
Most people won't be OCD like me though - l have the speaking clock on hands free waiting for the three pips to signal tickets available at 7pm.
Expectation is relative to availability (or something like that). I always go for Upper 6 or 7, then Lower 7. SW and I'm less happy but glad I'll be at the game. Now, I'm behind the dug out for Colchester game and over the moon I got a ticket at all.