Mischief Making Thought | Page 2 | Vital Football

Mischief Making Thought

They are 3 established prem sides though, big squads and most likely with money to spend.

Very different to Hull/Sunderland.
That is true but West Brom are deep in the brown stuff financially and will no doubt have to sell everyone who is half decent. Stoke, I have no faith in Lambert although they could sack him of course. Southampton, I agree, I think they'll be up there.

That is true but West Brom are deep in the brown stuff financially and will no doubt have to sell everyone who is half decent. Stoke, I have no faith in Lambert although they could sack him of course. Southampton, I agree, I think they'll be up there.

Selling is easier said than done - with the likes of Ollie Burke of £40k per week, only those that have cut it in the EPL will interest buyers.

I can't see many bargains!

What makes you think West Brom are in the mire financially?

Didn't their returning Chief Executive say he was shocked by the state of their finances and there is currently no money for transfers or additional wages?

I came recently across these figures in relation how much a club have spent in relation to league position and although it maybe not 100% accurate ,for example does it take into account Wolves loans, it does give an indication that expensive squads doent gurantee sucess.

Aston Villa
Squad Cost: £67.8m
League Position: 4
Hull City
Squad Cost: £62.7m
League Position: 18
Middlesbrough
Squad Cost: £62.7m
League Position: 5
Wolves
Squad Cost: £41.1m
League Position: 1
Derby County
Squad Cost: £41.1m
League Position: 7
Sunderland
Squad Cost: £40.6m
League Position: 24
Fulham
Squad Cost: £37.4m
League Position: 3
Norwich City
Squad Cost: £36.8m
League Position: 13
Sheffield Wednesday
Squad Cost: £35.5m
League Position: 16
Leeds United
Squad Cost: £29.9m
League Position: 14
QPR
Squad Cost: £26.1m
League Position: 15
Reading
Squad Cost: £23m
League Position: 19
Bristol City
Squad Cost: £19.5m
League Position: 11
Birmingham City
Squad Cost: £19.2m
League Position: 21
Cardiff City
Squad Cost: £18.6m
League Position: 2
Brentford
Squad Cost: £16.4m
League Position: 10
Nottingham Forest
Squad Cost: £7m
League Position: 17
Barnsley
Squad Cost: £6m
League Position: 22
Sheffield United
Squad Cost: £5.9m
League Position: 9
Ipswich Town
Squad Cost: £4.2m
League Position: 12
Bolton Wanderers
Squad Cost: £2.5m
League Position: 20
Preston North End
Squad Cost: £2.1m
League Position: 8
Millwall
Squad Cost: £800,000
League Position: 6
Burton Albion
Squad Cost: £500,000
League Position: 23

Didn't their returning Chief Executive say he was shocked by the state of their finances and there is currently no money for transfers or additional wages?

He made a remark similar to that when he took over in March; he then went on to clarify the remark by stating that what he really meant was that the club had exceeded their cash flow limits and an overdraft, the first in over ten seasons, would be required.

Remarkably, the one minor detail that escaped the attention of the sub editor when compiling his headline was the fact that they had just recorded a rise in pre tax profits to 39.7m.

Ironically, all three clubs coming down are really well run clubs from a financial perspective.

All very good away days as well

With having convincingly beat Wolves away, we proved we can still be a play maker in the fortunes of those who have promotion or relegation issues.

TBF OKD I think we say that most years and every year it turns out to be crap. I certainly can't see West Brom being up there.

This. Even though the Championship may have more bigger teams in it than the Prem (minus lets say the top 6 or 7) every season the standard (bar occasionally maybe one team like Wolves this season) is absolute pure fucking dog shit, but we still can't even compete.

They are 3 established prem sides though, big squads and most likely with money to spend.

Very different to Hull/Sunderland.

We've have this song and dance every year, generally speaking:

One will adapt and challenge for auto
One will struggle but be midtable to playoffs
One will battle relegation

I could be wrong here because I haven't checked but apart from Newcastle isn't it rare for a relegated team to go straight back up again?

We've have this song and dance every year, generally speaking:

One will adapt and challenge for auto
One will struggle but be midtable to playoffs
One will battle relegation
Would agree with this. All three clubs are well run so won’t necessarily be short financially but it’s all about how many players they lose and how well and how quickly they adapt.

He did, but it sounds a bit worse than it is.

They are right on the edge of what they can afford, but they are not massively in deficit like plenty of other clubs

Parachute payments will sort them and anyone they can get rid of will give them more transfer funds and wages leeway

I think the interesting thing for West Brom is who will be their next manager. Will they give a chance to someone new and up and coming or will they just go out and recycle one of the usual suspects.