Mirroring PJ's thoughts? | Vital Football

Mirroring PJ's thoughts?

Spursex

Alert Team
Parrott stuck in Spurs cage

Worry as Jose says Troy 'not ready'

Troy Parrott (pictured) has just signed a new deal with Spurs but is not considered ready for the first team by Jose Mourinho
Aidan Fitzmaurice

February 19 2020 02:30 AM

He has what is often said to be the best job in the world, being a professional footballer.

He has youth, looks, money and popularity on his side, so it could be hard for some to feel sorry for Troy Parrott. Because it's not easy being green.

The 18-year-old is learning some harsh lessons about what it's like to be talked of as a player with immense talent but not being trusted to use those talents at club level.

At international level, although the signing of a new three-year deal is good news financially for the young Dubliner, Irish manager Mick McCarthy's clear preference is for the striker to be playing first-team football somewhere, anywhere, instead of relaxing in the comfort of a long-term deal at Spurs while kicking his heels, starved of game-time.

Even though his club, Spurs, face a severe lack of strikers for tonight's Champions League game against RB Leipzig, the Irish teenager is far from the thoughts of manager Jose Mourinho.

A long-term injury to Harry Kane did not open the door to the first team for Parrott, as we had all hoped.

Now, even with the prospect of another forward, Son Heung-min, being out for the foreseeable future with an injury, that door remains closed to Parrott.

Asked if Parrott could come into the side up front or if Ryan Sessegnon could be shunted into a forward role, Mourinho was dismissive. "My thoughts are that Parrott is not ready and that Sessegnon is not a striker," the Spurs boss said.

Maybe his honesty saved those of us on this side of the Irish Sea spending the day anxiously awaiting the team news... and then being deflated when Parrott didn't feature.

There was an earlier sign of how he rated Parrott when the ex-Belvedere lad was dropped from the Spurs A squad for the Champions League and demoted to the B list: in many ways a formality related to UEFA's red tape but also a sign that he had a long way to go to convince Mourinho that he is now a man and not a boy.

Parrott signed a new long-term deal with Spurs, committing him to the club until 2023, only 11 days ago, but even with no fit strikers available for the Leipzig tie, Mourinho sees no role for him.

We need to remember that Parrott is still very young, just gone 18, so it could be too early to panic.

But his lowly status in the Tottenham pecking order does pose questions.

It's also worth pointing out that Robbie Keane had played 45 first-team games, scored 11 goals in England's second tier and won four senior caps before he'd turned 18.

Parrott will look around the lads he knows from the talent-filled Ireland U21 squad and see team-mates like Dara O'Shea (West Brom), and Jayson Molumby (on loan to Millwall) receiving the benefits of first-team football every week.

After that flurry of excitement in December, when Parrott and Adam Idah played in the Premier League, they have fallen down the pecking order, and it's likely that the pair will have had no activity when McCarthy names his squad for the Euro 2020 play-off in Slovakia, hence Shane Long's recall from exile.

Eleven days into a three-year contract is too soon for Parrott to rue his career choice, but with younger Irish players like Sinclair Armstrong exploring their options with a trial at a Bundesliga club, Parrott may learn the hard way that getting a long-term contract from a Premier League club and playing for a Premier League club are conflicting worlds, with Irish football as collateral damage.

Aiden fits who ? ....... who is Maurice ?
why are outsiders making stories out of non stories .
Surely he didn’t just sign a new contract without talking to somebody , anybody .
Nobody in this club is looking after him ?
that’s very poor journalism and a slur on our youth development .
We know how much he is thought of in the club , go back to Jose’s words when he gave him the match ball a while a go .

Aiden fits who ? ....... who is Maurice ?
why are outsiders making stories out of non stories .
Surely he didn’t just sign a new contract without talking to somebody , anybody .
Nobody in this club is looking after him ?
that’s very poor journalism and a slur on our youth development .
We know how much he is thought of in the club , go back to Jose’s words when he gave him the match ball a while a go .

Afraid the Irish are (naturally) desperate to see him given his chance to step up, but since those days of Robbie Keane we know so much more about how/why we have to protect young players until their frame/mentality/physically are ready. The pace and the pitches in the PL take a terrible toll in the modern game now.

Or of course, it could simply be we (the club) don't believe he's good enough, although I continue to hear that next season will be his breakthrough season.

What everyone forgets is that players don't go from not being involved to starting in the team. You have to first train with the senior squad (which he's clearly done) to having an opportunity to be on the bench. That could be through absolute merit or because of an injury crisis. Then you get your chance to have a cameo or two and then work your way in on merit.

So for me, the thought of Parrott just replacing Kane and Son as our number 9 is simply ludicrous. Also, in our last Under 23 game, it was 6'7" Kion Etete that was leading the line with Rodel Richards playing in and around him. Why is nobody calling for Etete to be involved? Being that size, he is probably more likely to enable our tactics late in games from the bench. He is also a few months older than Parrott and played a few senior games for Notts County.

My last thought on this is that it's highly unlikely that Jose will be able to go the season without using a youngster anyway. Ignoring Vorm and Wanyama, Jose has the 18 man squad that faced Villa plus Sess, Lamela and Foyth to choose from. He's working with a small squad and already included Cirkin and Walcott in 1st team training recently. We know Lamela is fragile and injuries are part and parcel of the game.

What everyone forgets is that players don't go from not being involved to starting in the team. You have to first train with the senior squad (which he's clearly done) to having an opportunity to be on the bench. That could be through absolute merit or because of an injury crisis. Then you get your chance to have a cameo or two and then work your way in on merit.

So for me, the thought of Parrott just replacing Kane and Son as our number 9 is simply ludicrous. Also, in our last Under 23 game, it was 6'7" Kion Etete that was leading the line with Rodel Richards playing in and around him. Why is nobody calling for Etete to be involved? Being that size, he is probably more likely to enable our tactics late in games from the bench. He is also a few months older than Parrott and played a few senior games for Notts County.

My last thought on this is that it's highly unlikely that Jose will be able to go the season without using a youngster anyway. Ignoring Vorm and Wanyama, Jose has the 18 man squad that faced Villa plus Sess, Lamela and Foyth to choose from. He's working with a small squad and already included Cirkin and Walcott in 1st team training recently. We know Lamela is fragile and injuries are part and parcel of the game.

This all stems from McCarthy being desperate to get some fresh blood into the Irish squad; his comments about Parrott/his progress were designed to pile the pressure on at club level and on his immediate advisors.

We have (rightly in my mind) resisted this pressure.

I’m reading stuff about him being an issue off the pitch?

Any truth? Or just myth?

His best mate is part of a famous Irish family involved in a blood feud. He travelled with Troy and Dels to Dubai on winter break.

Some online are suggesting Troy could become a target, others saying it wouldn't go outside family members. Either way not an ideal distraction for a young footballer trying to break through.

No truth in the rumour Jose having a chat with him about off field activities then?

None as far as I'm aware; what I can say is that the academy constantly review, talk to and try to guide youngsters into how to maintain focus in this crucial period i.e. as they prepare to step into the full professional game.

His best mate is part of a famous Irish family involved in a blood feud. He travelled with Troy and Dels to Dubai on winter break.

Some online are suggesting Troy could become a target, others saying it wouldn't go outside family members. Either way not an ideal distraction for a young footballer trying to break through.

So he has some mates who he grew up with and went on holiday with them.

If you listen to the online Trolls cooking up stories and you think they're credible, fair enough, but as far as I know from the people I deal with/talk with in the academy, all I know is they have absolutely no concerns about him.

So he has some mates who he grew up with and went on holiday with them.

If you listen to the online Trolls cooking up stories and you think they're credible, fair enough, but as far as I know from the people I deal with/talk with in the academy, all I know is they have absolutely no concerns about him.

I wasn't relating this to the off field activity rumour. I assumed that was maybe about drinking or whatever and might be complete fabrication.

But his best mates uncle being murdered in a known gang feud isn't troll rumour. It's fact. Troy has also posted condolences to another murdered friend involved in criminal activities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutch–Kinahan_feud

I wasn't relating this to the off field activity rumour. I assumed that was maybe about drinking or whatever and might be complete fabrication.

But his best mates uncle being murdered in a known gang feud isn't troll rumour. It's fact. Troy has also posted condolences to another murdered friend involved in criminal activities.

Hadn't heard any of this. Just found this article - https://www.thesun.ie/sport/5102329/troy-parrott-dubai-dele-ali/

So the guy you're talking about is Lee Byrne? Sounds about as useful to Troy as Five Bellies was to Gazza !!!

Sounds like a good reason for stopping free-movement....unbelievable in this day and age.

Ireland in many respects is a small place, it can also be a very violent place because of the (still) free availability - if you know who to approach - of weapons, many of them bought from the 'old' IRA members for cash and other rewards.

I/we bought a block of flats in Miraflores,(part of a much bigger deal, but mentioned in the Wiki reference) which had been sub-contracted to a travel agent who filled it up with 'the boys/Ra' (anyone Irish here will understand that term) it was a holiday perk, apparently.

They caused chaos, but the previous management had screwed over future ownership and the place became a sanctuary (where continuing any feud/war) was forbidden between the parties, mainly they stuck to the rules until the rewards for owning drugs territories back in Ireland simply became too great.

Eventually, I did a deal with all parties concerned and we sold the block.

- To cut a long story short, what I do know is (perhaps Bizarrely) they still follow the rules of not involving 'civilians' (relatives outside the gangs and their activities).

So I really do not see a problem, if you stay in Ireland long enough, in my view you can soon find yourself connected to/dealing with all sorts of characters that here in the UK would seem unbelievable.

Troy's advisors have got smarts; but sometimes you can't help but fall across some characters, (especially if you're bought up in certain area's in Dublin) at one point or another I probably met with almost all the senior members of a certain well constructed Irish organizations and from time to time I still bump into/see them and they're the nicest blokes you'd ever wish to meet...cough, cough..

Last edited:
Pinning your hopes on an unproven, just turned 18 year old prospect is not a good move for us or the Republic IMO. If the general consensus at the club is that he needs a bit more time, then they should stick with that plan.

If Ireland had anything in the way of quality up front then this conversation would not be happening. Same with our predicament in the striker department. I'm all for the saying "If you're good enough, you're old enough" but that scenario is bloody rare, so I trust the notion of not rushing the kid. Let those who have done a very good job with him so far continue to do so.