Mirror claim feeling of negativity about Jose | Vital Football

Mirror claim feeling of negativity about Jose

Spursex

Alert Team
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-safe-tottenham-despite-23484660

Jose Mourinho safe at Tottenham despite poor form and senior player doubts
Jose Mourinho had overseen a nine-year low three defeats in a row before beating West Brom last week but despite the poor form and uninspired performances his job is safe

By
John CrossChief Football Writer
  • 15:54, 11 FEB 2021
  • Updated18:17, 11 FEB 2021

Jose Mourinho was brought in to win trophies and deliver Champions League football for Tottenham.

The Special One failed on both fronts in his first season and his second year in charge is in serious danger of going the same way.

Tottenham are out of the FA Cup, four points off top four and in bad form while relying on the Europa League and their place in the Carabao Cup final as the remaining chances of silverware.

But that is set against the backdrop of growing dissent among Tottenham supporters fed-up of the style of football and the only salvation for Mourinho is that there are no fans allowed in White Hart Lane otherwise it might have turned toxic by now.

There are obvious concerns among the hierarchy especially after three straight Premier League defeats - their worst run of results in nine years - and the pressure would have seemed intolerable had they not beaten West Brom on Sunday.

But defeat at Everton in the FA Cup has put the spotlight back on a manager going through a turbulent season of highs and lows - but the lows are definitely outweighing the highs right now.

With Mourinho, there is so often a trade off. Mourinho has delivered trophies at every club he has managed but his pragmatic, safety first football is hardly in the best traditions of Tottenham whose proud motto is “To Dare Is To Do.”

The fans might stomach the football if they are getting results. This club is built on flair, glory and style.

There is also ways a sideshow with Mourinho. Some senior players are having doubts about Mourinho’s man management while he has always been a difficult man to get along with. Tottenham is proving to be no exception.

Surely Mourinho will get this season no matter what happens next, although it is a big few weeks ahead, starting with a trip to Manchester City on Saturday, followed by crunch Europa League ties with Wolfsberg with a tricky game at West Ham sandwiched in between.

But while some believe bad results could spell danger, Mourinho’s stock with Levy remains high and there is precious little chance of change before the summer.

Mourinho clearly has his favourites and Pierre-Emile Højbjerg has been superb for him this season, looking like a shrewd signing at £15m while Harry Kane and Heung-Min Son are both enjoying brilliant seasons.

However, Mourinho has raised eyebrows with the treatment of not just Gareth Bale but Dele Alli, a gifted and decisive player who has been frozen out and hammered in public before finally coming back as a substitute at Everton.

Other players are also feeling the heat. Eric Dier is struggling for confidence as team mates believe Mourinho has been harsh on him, leaving him struggling for belief.

Similarly, Mourinho’s treatment of Harry Winks is also baffling as he is an England international, a midfielder full of creativity who was a huge influence under Mauricio Pochettino but has been sidelined this season despite playing regularly for his country. They miss his creativity.

There was a blazing row between Mourinho and Serge Aurier at half time in the Liverpool game which ended with the right back storming out of the ground after being substituted.

Many players thought the row was so explosive, so big, that would be the end of Aurier under Mourinho. One source suggested the fact that Mourinho has forgiven and brought Aurier back so quickly - he was left out for just one game - shows how “desperate” he has become.

But maybe that is because Mourinho has been brutal with Matt Doherty, a summer signing who has struggled to nail down a place but is also struggling for confidence under the manager.

There is a sense of negativity among some players who feel the focus is on opposition tactics, defending and not enough on their own strengths.

Clearly, Mourinho will feel this season has much yet to offer. He has given Alli a second chance, Tanguy Ndombele is now an automatic starter having had fall-outs last season. It is down to the players as well as him. He wants Bale to prove himself.

But the real proof will come at the end of the season and whether Mourinho, amid the doubts and concerns, can deliver on his side of the bargain.

I have a feeling Jose is once again learning the hard lesson in life about respect being earned and not given.

What concerns me is the stats. We have 3 out of 4 losses in the league plus the Everton result. That's 4 out of 5, probably becoming 5 out of 6 after the City game. Imagine what the pressure will feel like in 2 weeks time if we haven't turned a corner.

Lets be brutal here, ever the optimist that I am, I am as others very concerned regards the next 3 fixtures, could easily be 3 x defeats, where the hell will we go if that happens, which in truth looks like it will happen.
I will not repeat what I just said! lol!

I think if Lo Celso and Reggie had not been injured we maybe would still be in contention for top 4 personally......

I agree Greavs but we can’t allow ourselves to be in a position whereby two players get injured and our level drops so much.

We are shelling out on Bales wages for no return. Dele has been frozen out for most of the season. Sessegnon sent on loan when he would be ideal cover for Reggie now.

Better handling of these situations would have mitigated the loss of Reggie and Lo Celso imo.

We've tried the arm around the shoulder with Poch & look where that got us. They're grown men for c*****s sake, many of whom are in their prime & yet they're not performing to the standards we expect from them. It's time these lads pulled their socks up & stopped feeling sorry for themselves.

We have one of the best training facilities in the world & one of the best coaches. Why have some of them not pushed on. If the ceiling has been reached then it's time to move a few of them on cos they're only going to hold back the others.

We have one of the best training facilities in the world & one of the best coaches. Why have some of them not pushed on. If the ceiling has been reached then it's time to move a few of them on cos they're only going to hold back the others.

I suspect the answer is far more complex than I've got time to go into this morning, but what I do know is that Jose's style of management is to big up favourites and destroy those who aren't - in a squad that was once tight knit that's probably hard to swallow.

But at the end of the day, it's down to jose to be smart enough and wise enough to get the best out of what he's got.

I still don't believe he's achieving that, so that's down to him and his staff.

I still hope he can turn it around, but I'm still doubtful that he'll understand the issues he's caused and the tactical mistakes that he's made that has cost us so many points.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter of one thing I'm now certain, Levy is going to give him the whole season no matter what and almost certainly next as well.

We've tried the arm around the shoulder with Poch & look where that got us. They're grown men for c*****s sake, many of whom are in their prime & yet they're not performing to the standards we expect from them. It's time these lads pulled their socks up & stopped feeling sorry for themselves.
Very true steve, but for me the problem is Moaninio, the old ways, arm round shoulder/father figure, bullying in todays terms if you like etc have gone, times change, JM needs to get with the times and stop living on his past glories.

Todays highly paid primma donnas cannot and do not look in the mirror at themselves, it is always somebody else's fault, even as much as "I am a massive value you cannot talk to me like that" so it needs a modern day thinking coach to change these things.

Ok there are some players not like what I said, but they are few and far between and remember it is only am impression I am getting.

I suspect the answer is far more complex than I've got time to go into this morning, but what I do know is that Jose's style of management is to big up favourites and destroy those who aren't - in a squad that was once tight knit that's probably hard to swallow.

But at the end of the day, it's down to jose to be smart enough and wise enough to get the best out of what he's got.

I still hope he can turn it around, but I'm still doubtful that he'll understand the issues he's caused and the tactical mistakes that he's made that has cost us so many points.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter of one thing I'm now certain, Levy is going to give him the whole season no matter what and almost certainly next as well.
Your last para Ex....reasons to be cheerful, NOT! Jesus! am now even more worried, esp as I am an ever optimist.

Your last para Ex....reasons to be cheerful, NOT! Jesus! am now even more worried, esp as I am an ever optimist.

Clearly, we don't know the clubs plans in terms of targets (new players) and it may well be the club simply believe that getting better players is easier with the rep of a manager who is a serial winner?

Pretty much I'm led to believe what the fans think about our football and our performances won't sway the board one iota.

Jose will see his contract out, unless he walks first.

I take exception at some of the players who ultimately lost Poch his job. Granted he did himself no favours by being a stubborn old g*t but there are a few hanging around who are holding us back. I wouldn't go as far to say they're dragging us down but they're most definitely not helping our cause.

Jose has improved things but not nearly as much as i expected from him. Things must be even worse than he initially feared.

Clearly, we don't know the clubs plans in terms of targets (new players) and it may well be the club simply believe that getting better players is easier with the rep of a manager who is a serial winner?

Pretty much I'm led to believe what the fans think about our football and our performances won't sway the board one iota.

Jose will see his contract out, unless he walks first.
Even if the fans, post-Covid, refused to pay to come to matches? And season tickets were unsold?