Millers Might Not Meet Wigan Next Season | Vital Football

Millers Might Not Meet Wigan Next Season

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Wigan Athletic have gone into administration today.

If the letter of the footballing law is applied correctly they will be given a twelve point deduction that will take them to the foot of the Championship.

What with that and the way the Owls are conducting their business there might be a few teams missing who we are expecting to play next season.

According to Radio Sheffield, Wigan Ath. now saying that they will have to sell players to make an appeal against their points deduction punishment (Appeal will cost around £500 000).
Final day of Championship 2019/20 league fixtures is tonight (Weds) -all teams kick off at 7.30pm. Barnsley playing at Brentford.

Last edited:
And what a great end to the season it was!

Though, of course, if the appeal goes ahead and Wigan win then ..... well, I would think there will be more appeals from other clubs!

Wigan Athletic's appeal has been rejected by the EFL today... so they are definitely relegated to League One ( and £500 000 worse off?). Statement from EFL says that "the decision is final and legally binding"

Charlton Athletic have canvased other Championship clubs re overturning the EFL decision to defer Owls points deduction to next season, and say they have the support of 8 or 9 other clubs. They are in talks with the EFL about the matter, but don't seem to have got to the official appeal stage ... at least not yet

Last edited:
Sheffield Star legal expert saying alleged case against Derby County is similar to that involving the Owls, so if proven by the EFL, is also likely to result in a 12 point deduction ... next season. No idea how long it will take EFL to reach a decision ! (Won't save Wigan though)

Last edited:
What I don't get is that they took the points of Wigan straight away which resulted in them being relegated but the Owls and Derby it's next season. Why is that?

EFL punishment for clubs going into administration is more clearly defined, and set up with the aim of being automatic. Punishments for other "crimes" seem to vary at the whims of the EFL Committees . They need to make make policy on FFP much clearer and consistent.

Wigan themselves announced that they were going into administration , under no pressure from the EFL (as far as we know), so there could not be any doubt about which rules had been broken.

Derby and Owls cases have taken more untangling (still unfinished in Derby's case?). I agree Owls punishment could have been sorted out for this season, but I don't think that there was any fixed deadline in the regulations, so the EFL (for reasons only known to themselves) have interpreted the rules very leniently. I'm just hoping that what has happened works to our advantage for next season.

Last edited:
Ex-Palace chairman, Simon Jordan, has just been on TalkSport Radio. I don't really like the bloke, but he usually knows his way around the EFL rules. He said more or less same as previous post, and also that EFL should have investigated Owls failure to publish accounts many months earlier and should have deducted them points in the 2018/19 season under the regulations (they wouldn't have been relegated though). Also he was unimpressed by the EFL regarding the long drawn-out investigation of Derby County, for similar reasons.

Jordan also said SWFC no longer owns Hillsborough, which was the same as for Palace when he became chairman there, and that could cause problems for any future takeover (and that's why he knows a lot about the rules involved!)

Jordan's view was that Wigan's appeal had no chance of winning, and the same applies to Charlton, if they go ahead with it (which seems unlikely now anyway, given the timescale, and rather chaotic circumstances at The Valley)

Last edited:
Most of football seems chaotic at the moment, doesn't it Mike.

Can you remember when you went to a game, watched it, moaned or cheered and went home until the next game, which was usually the following weekend. Now it's in your face 24 hours seven days a week.

Another failed EFL appeal - Macclesfield have been relegated to the National League today, following three separate points penalties... which means a reprieve for Stevenage, who will remain in League 2

Deadline for any Wigan Athletic proposed takeover to prevent liquidation is 31st August. The club have sold several players over the last few weeks, most recently Jamal Lowe to Swansea, so not sure what the actual debt is now. Administrator still confident that a takeover will go ahead.

Last edited:
I'm not sure going into the Premier League helps 'little clubs' you know. They can't afford to keep up with the big boys at the top eventually get relegated, keep their players on high wages, don't get promoted and end up with no money.

Swansea look like a team to watch next season - they seem to have been splashing the cash on players.

11/11/20 Wigan Athletic's problems continue...

Takeover still not completed, some players on short-term contracts have left, now manager John Sheridan has gone to Swindon Town. Plus, they appear to have an injury list as long as ours (incuding Curtis Tilt) , and they can't score any goals. They are bottom of League One and are in big trouble...