Millers injury news... | Page 6 | Vital Football

Millers injury news...

He's probably more of a wing-back or winger than a traditional full-back, but we ARE playing a wing-back system now , so he should be suited to that. It's all very strange... unless it's because he has some injury problem

I think the few times I’ve watched him play I have always felt anxious. I have never known which Clarke I was going to see - the one where I think he looks like a boy in a mans team, the one where he runs around like a mad thing and can be reckless or the one that shows his competence. If he is like that in training games too then possibly this could be the reason he doesn’t get much game time.

In his post-match interview tonight Warney said that Harding, Wiles, Angus MacDonald and Jamie Lindsay were all playing with knocks tonight.

29/04/21
Richie Barker has just been on Radio Sheffield - still not sure if Johansson will be ok to play on Saturday.

30/04/21
Paul Davis (Advertiser) Twitter - Robertson scheduled to be back in training today.

My comments - He has been injured so many times and made so many comebacks that I have lost track! Hopefully he will be available for tomorrow, as we are short of defenders. Nothing about Mattock.

Last edited:
07/05/21

Warney has just been on Radio Sheffield. Robertson is out injured for tomorrow, plus there is another un-named injury doubt.

My comments - looks like Robertson has played his last game for the Millers then. It was obvious right from the start of the season that we had too many injury prone players on the books. RUFC were foolishly hoping for a "fitness miracle" from day one , and it unsurprisingly hasn't happened. Loaning out Tilt then needlessly made things even worse.

Last edited:
I can only agree with you, Mike. Loaning players out when we have been short for most of the season seems a little senseless to me.

George Hirst has an injury which will keep him out tomorrow. When asked about Joe Mattock the Gaffer said words to the effect, yes he might be fit to play but also he might not be.

Wonder who will be in goal?

So George Hirst has completed the season, and almost certainly his Millers career , without scoring a single goal . Don't think he has had any "assists" either.. How many other forwards in the history of our club have done that? Terry Donovan possibly? Steve Slawson? Those are players who would get in many fans "Worst Ever Millers XI" though... Whilst we sent our own player, Joshua Kayode, out on loan! I'm not saying that Kayode would have scored a lot at this level, but I think that he would have scored at least a few and set up some goals for others :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I actually thought the last time Hirst came off the bench he played OK. But not sure he was here on his own merits.

If it's any consolation, Vassell scored no League goals in 35 Championship appearances, Hirst the same in "only" 31 appearances. We scout the world, at home and abroad (allegedly... I suppose if you count Ross County...) to find forwards who quite literally never score.

16/07/21

Tilt and A. MacDonald injuries have been discussed on another thread.

Matt Hamshaw is injured now, according to John Breckin on RUFC Official Twitter. Was it due to the hill running, bicycle races, volleyball or sightseeing in Pest? At least it's not one of the players!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update - my sources tell me that Matt Hamshaw didn't actually go to Budapest - he was injured before then. Must have been somebody else that I spotted in the RUFC photos - my mistake, apologies.

Last edited:
Well I thought he'd gone too but have now re-found the picture I think you are on about Mike, the one that Andy Warrington took, and he isn't on it. Hope he's soon on the mend.

20/07/21

Warney has just said on Radio Sheffield that Matt Hamshaw stayed behind to have an Achilles operation during the time when the players went to Budapest.

Last edited:
:p
Ie not taking part in practice drills and games yet. No information about A. McDonald.

24/07/21

Paul Davis (Advertiser ) Twitter - Mattock was not playing today at Grimsby due to an Achilles injury.
We need an extra left back, as Ferguson also can play in midfield. Mattock has become an injury/penalty/booking/sending off waiting to happen. Warney can't go on pretending that Mattock will be ok - that was a factor in us getting relegated last season. We haven't even started the new season properly yet! I hope that he gets fit again soon, but after last couple of years, I'm not optimistic.

Last edited: