Midfield | Vital Football

Midfield

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
Newton - release, not good enough, injury prone
Hawkins - release, not good enough
McLaughlin - release, not good enough
Featherstone ,- release , Pools longest serving player, isn't consistent or robust enough
Donaldson - release, isn't influential enough
Bale - keep, one for the future
Hawkes - keep, needs to add consistency to play
Holohan - keep, has looked promising in few games to date
Noble - release, form has dipped since pizzagate, not a team player

Last edited:
Keep Bale, Hawkes, Holohan and add Molyneux, Jeffrey, Osborne and Gondoh, Mclaughlin has had a bit of a raw deal, Williams too much of a risk regardless of how good some people think he is.
:red:

Last edited:
We don’t work hard enough in what is in effect the engine room of any side, this is where games are won and lost.
Donaldson I’m not sure he is even a friggin footballer, Featherstone is a different player every game, Noble just not up to it, he looks lost. This is the mainstay of this seasons midfield, a midfield which has seen us reach the same number of points as last season and finish [currently] a couple of places lower??

Point in question is Hignett’s involvement in continually picking these players....is he [Hignett] the solution or part of the problem?

League position tells its own story

In defence of Hignett he could only choose from what he had available, on that basis he has managed to get a few decent performances out of Donaldson, Featherstone and Noble.
However, the proof of Hignett's desire for success will be his retained list. If the aforementioned are retained then we will know that for all the good words the ambition is lacking.

Against Salford Featherstone [in the first half] looked to be the only one to react to the fall out from the Barrow debacle.

Donaldson improved when he went wide right however Salford were down to ten at that point and I must admit they struggled to adapt when they went a man down.

Holohan looks like the spark we have been missing in midfield. I’ve documented my thoughts on a preferred midfield quite a bit on here and it could be so much better and may be, once the penny drops.