Midfield | Vital Football

Midfield

Dazza63

Vital Newbie
I really like the look of the young midfielders Scott Robertson and Josh Eccles and hope that Scott's injury is not too serious. Add a fit Kyle Dempsey and that looks like a very competitive unit at this level. Jacob Mellis clearly has ability and whilst sometimes he does appear to drift out of games, I noticed that he was working hard without the ball yesterday.

I’m gobsmacked that we have a team that has both central midfielders aged 20 in front of 2 centre halves both aged 20.

A season or two ago we’d have all been worried by the prospect of having 1 inexperienced 20yo in a key position. Let alone all 4.

love it to be honest .... need to play youngsters and give them plenty of game time to develop them then hopefully make them very attractive to big spending higher league clubs ....:thumbup::thumbup:

The young uns are so good with the ball it makes a nice change to the career cloggers. Quick passing in tight spaces is very useful if we can get them doing it in the final third.

I’m gobsmacked that we have a team that has both central midfielders aged 20 in front of 2 centre halves both aged 20.

A season or two ago we’d have all been worried by the prospect of having 1 inexperienced 20yo in a key position. Let alone all 4.

"If your good enough, you`re old enough" seems to sum up SE and PR`s approach this season. Appears to be a well founded philosophy as far as our large group of younger players is concerned. Credit to the management for getting in the right bunch.

Of course, and i`m not trying to be over scrupulous, the following adage might also have a bearing as far as the current financial climate is concerned:

"If your good enough and young enough you probably won`t cost as much"

But, tbh, for us I think that the first "old" adage is the most accurate. We really do have a good squad of talented younger guys. And to think, we have a lot of new faces (more than Blackpool) , when they really do gel and the core is evident, GFC is gonna be a very very good team - Blackpool fans take note !

People were worried about it at the beginning of the season also. I am pretty sure i remember a thread about it.

If they go on to prove good enough then excellent. I am sure they will be on a steep learning curve and will get found out a couple of times due to experience but hopefully they show enough quality to make up for it.

I also think that any success SE has will hopefully only encourage other premiership teams to loan GFC players if they see development of their youngsters. And as Phillk states if they are released then if they are happy at GFC like Conner they might sign permanent deals

If they go on to prove good enough then excellent. I am sure they will be on a steep learning curve and will get found out a couple of times due to experience but hopefully they show enough quality to make up for it.

Careful. Peter Lloyd made similar comments during the match on Saturday and several forum members switched over to the Blackpool commentary as a result.