Middlesbrough (away) | Page 8 | Vital Football

Middlesbrough (away)

Personally I'd give Cook until Christmas. Give him time to bed the new signings in and work out how he wants us to play.
But if I was the Chairman I'd be asking him some questions.
Why do we keep getting injuries? Are Cook tactics and training routine to blame or are the medical staff doing something wrong?
Why do our defenders keep making the same mistakes game after game? Who's coaching them and do we need to bring in a defensive coach? Because things can't go on as they are.

Personally I'd give Cook until Christmas. Give him time to bed the new signings in and work out how he wants us to play.
But if I was the Chairman I'd be asking him some questions.
Why do we keep getting injuries? Are Cook tactics and training routine to blame or are the medical staff doing something wrong?
Why do our defenders keep making the same mistakes game after game? Who's coaching them and do we need to bring in a defensive coach? Because things can't go on as they are.
You would have thought after last season we would have taken a serious look at why we seem to be getting so many injuries. They must have stats for all the other teams in the division. Find the team with the best injury record and find out what they do that we don’t. To lose Moore now on top of other players is ridiculous, we now have no forwards, but maybe that will force us to adopt a different approach. Last night was a classic game of how important it is to take your chances. We score in that first 20 mins we go on to win the game. To concede like we did was last season all over again. The problem we have is we’ve got is too many new players being thrown in and they are going to take time to form new partnerships and learn each other’s strengths. We won’t see the best from this team for a few weeks and we need to stick with the team

You would have thought after last season we would have taken a serious look at why we seem to be getting so many injuries. They must have stats for all the other teams in the division. Find the team with the best injury record and find out what they do that we don’t. To lose Moore now on top of other players is ridiculous, we now have no forwards, but maybe that will force us to adopt a different approach. Last night was a classic game of how important it is to take your chances. We score in that first 20 mins we go on to win the game. To concede like we did was last season all over again. The problem we have is we’ve got is too many new players being thrown in and they are going to take time to form new partnerships and learn each other’s strengths. We won’t see the best from this team for a few weeks and we need to stick with the team
Maybe we need to help the striker out who is a proven striker with some service and support. One shot on target last night, two on target last two games. Very little service or support for Moore playing in that role. Only time this way of playing as seemed to work was during our last two visits to League one. Get Garner fit and in the side and that will aid both Moore and Garner. Stay as we are and let's just hang out yet another striker to dry.

Writing this with a now calm head .
Since the signing of Moore ( who i like ) we have already become long a long ball team now including long throws .
The problem is we don`t know how to play it properly as a flick on needs a player running in behind ,
Marshall is stuck on his line and we can`t defend crosses for toffee
We don`t look like scoring goals and can`t keep possession
All in all not what i expected after winning V Cardiff
Cook will go if this continues

I said that before the last two games.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/in-cook-we-trust.96987/unread

Page 6, post 117,

I said that before the last two games.

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/in-cook-we-trust.96987/unread

Page 6, post 117,

Fair enough, that was a good prediction ?.

I think the long ball tactics do have the potential to work though. The players just need to anticipate Moore’s knockdowns more often. Kieffer has the potential to be a very effective target man, and hopefully the team can find a way to play around him when he gets back out there.

Last edited:
Fair enough, that was a good prediction ?.

I think the long ball tactics do have the potential to work though. The players just need to anticipate Moore’s knockdowns more often. Kieffer has the potential to be a very effective target man, and hopefully the team can find a way to play around him when he gets back out there.

Yep spot on bro, but isn't that what training is for? Surely Cook must have them practising those moves and/or tactics.

Yep spot on bro, but isn't that what training is for? Surely Cook must have them practising those moves and/or tactics.

Yeah you'd think so wouldn't you? Hopefully this is something Cook is working on with the players in training, and maybe we'll see an improvement in their ability to anticipate these knockdowns. Just need to get Moore back from injury first, although it'll be interesting to see how Lang does if given a chance (he's match fit as far as I'm aware). We'll probably need a change of tactics if Lang does start on Saturday though as he's only 5'11 and who will probably be unable to act as the aerial threat in the same way as Kieffer.

Then Lang must start against QPR on Saturday if Moore isn't fit. Knowing Cook he'll probably stick Naismith up top.

Yeah I agree, put Lang in and see how he does. He is inexperienced at this level, but has never really had much of a chance in the Championship, and impressed during his loan spells. Plus it always makes me feel a bit of extra pride if someone comes from the academy and has success for the first team, like McManaman and Baines have done.

Last edited: