Middlesboro match day thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

Middlesboro match day thread

I don't see much point in comparing managers past and present, current manager, team, and record is what matters and there's no doubt that we are far from settled.
And I'm holding judgement until next season on all of those. What matters most to me is signings in next summer, and there had better be a goal scorer in there somewhere. That's what I expect in any case and it's painfully obvious that our manager must know that.

I still expect us to be in the Championship next season.

For me Darikwa is a problem on the RH side........no drive to go forward and useless end product. I would bring Lichaj back in at RB. I lost count of the wasteful kicks from Darikwa yesterday..........its time for Lichaj to return to the starting 11.

Tomlin, Dowel, Velios all had bad games - Lolley was poor to start with, his ball control was not good, but he got better as the game went on.

Osborn is not a left back, we all know that, and hopefully this will be sorted in the summer.

I said before, I would seriously replace Colback with Gueds........... we need some drive in the centre, someone to take the ball and run at people.

When you consider Millwall won again beating a fellow play off challenger, and Boro are play off challengers who spent 15m alone a one striker in the summer............we have not done too badly in the past couple of games............it just shows we are mid table and need some inspired signings in the summer. A left back, a striker......that's the minimum ask............but the squad needs a serious revamp. The January changes have assured us of no relegation (we were to be relegated had things carried on)............but that's only short term.

Karanka now has the summer to really finish off his squad for next season and I do expect us to be challenging next season. Going to be a lot more player changes in the summer............and I believe EM will give Karanka the funds to buy some decent players.

At this point I think it useless comparing managers...what we r doing is commentating on the team's performances...nd to date under Karanka we start bad ...improved by the introduction of a bunch of players but since we came back from the usuall international break..we gone backwards again...last two games against half decent sides were atrocious nd doesnt bode well...games were done nd dusted by half time...

And for those who quite stupidly are on AK's back at the moment...............I think you should read more into the constant term being used of "PROJECT".

He will be the manager for at least the whole of next season, if not many to come, the players know he is the boss and he is not going anywhere.

So you better get used to it...........AK will finally get to spend some decent money in the summer, he will have a whole pre-season with his new squad and you better get used to that winning feeling again next season.

:)

If we had the squad to get good results against Millwall and Boro - we would also be top 8 of the table now. We simply do not have the players.

Osborn is a weak link at LB. Darikwa is not good enough to be an attacking RB. We have no decent striker. We have no decent RM if Cash is not playing.

I think things would have been slightly different had Dejagah not got injured.....would have been good to see him and Lolley in the wide areas.

Lolley, Mackay, Osborn, Darikwa, even Cash and Dowel...they are all small/lightweight and get bundled off the ball too easily.

And for those who quite stupidly are on AK's back at the moment...............I think you should read more into the constant term being used of "PROJECT".

He will be the manager for at least the whole of next season, if not many to come, the players know he is the boss and he is not going anywhere.

So you better get used to it...........AK will finally get to spend some decent money in the summer, he will have a whole pre-season with his new squad and you better get used to that winning feeling again next season.

:)

I see your arrogance hasn't changed in the intervening couple of years since you ran off after a ban.

I like Karanka. The style he wants is the style I like. I listen to him (including yesterday) and have faith in him. I even think the three goaless draws were really good results.

But the last two games are unacceptable and it's foolish and disingenuous to say otherwise. Whether you like a manager or not the important thing is to remain honest.

In both games we have succumbed to that sides basic tactics within minutes if kick off. The very stuff the team has been working on all week has been thrown out of the window within seconds.

Once we concede you might as well go home. Neither the fans nor the players have any faith in our ability to score. We have the same sterile possession as under MW. We are conceding the same stupid set piece goals as under MW- if we give the opposition a corner it feels as good as a direct free kick as no one has conceded more from corners than us.

I appreciate the context. The 10 (very narrow) wins of Warburton were predicated on the goals of just three players- all of whom lost form months ago and before Karanka set foot in the club. Murphy first, then McKay, then Dowell. The goals had already dried up under Warburton and he had nothing in his armoury to turn that around once that happened.

But Karanka needs to turn that around and he hasn't been successful in doing so. As a consequence the comfortable lead he has built up has eroded and people like myself are still slightly worried..

We'll likely lose on Tuesday because we always lose at home to Brentford. Yet a sixth game without a goal would be disastrous going into the easy games against Ipswich and Barnsley.

Our season should be put to bed with two wins from these home games. Yet on current form of everyone it is possible for us to be bang in trouble as well.

My retention of faith in Karanka depends on these three games and whether our season is over or desperate at the end of them

Kranky has still not managed to secure our position in the league for 2018/19. I am sure the owner will soon be down at the co-op travel looking to give them some time off.

Time is runing out for kranky

Kranky has still not managed to secure our position in the league for 2018/19. I am sure the owner will soon be down at the co-op travel looking to give them some time off.

Time is runing out for kranky

Ha ha, the forum board member strikes again.

Surprised MW was sacked with your vote and voice going against. Were you not able to sway the other board members effectively from your perch in Bremen?

I just hope we can win one of our two upcoming home games to put any lingering relegation worries to rest .
Surely 3 more points should be enough ?

I do believe Karanka will be a good manager for us in time but our attacking options are simply not good enough. It is worth noting that many of the recent games we have not scored in have been against teams in or around the playoffs. Derby, Sheffield Utd, Boro, Millwall. I dont think its a disaster but I will start to worry if we dont take points from Brentford and ipswich. I really dont want Barnsley to be the pivotal game in our season

Ipswich my next home game , hopefully we've ended our goal drought on Tuesday before that one.
You just know Brentford will turn us over though !
Mind you if we can somehow pick up 3 points against them then maybe a home win against Ipswich will see us safe two years running ?

If we had the squad to get good results against Millwall and Boro - we would also be top 8 of the table now. We simply do not have the players.

Osborn is a weak link at LB. Darikwa is not good enough to be an attacking RB. We have no decent striker. We have no decent RM if Cash is not playing.

I think things would have been slightly different had Dejagah not got injured.....would have been good to see him and Lolley in the wide areas.

Lolley, Mackay, Osborn, Darikwa, even Cash and Dowel...they are all small/lightweight and get bundled off the ball too easily.

Arw

I agree with you although i wouldn't say darikwa is lightweight. Millwall played us off the park opening game of the season.

Karanka needs another window he only had a few weeks to assess.

I just hope we can win one of our two upcoming home games to put any lingering relegation worries to rest .
Surely 3 more points should be enough ?
Yes.

9 points clear with 18 to play for.

One more win takes that at worst to 9 clear with 15 to play for.

Draw with Barnsley and it's 9 clear with 12 to play for.

Equally, bad results in the next two as others are picking up points and defeat to Barnsley could see us just a few points clear.

We have to score and we have to score first

Yes.

9 points clear with 18 to play for.

One more win takes that at worst to 9 clear with 15 to play for.

Draw with Barnsley and it's 9 clear with 12 to play for.

Equally, bad results in the next two as others are picking up points and defeat to Barnsley could see us just a few points clear.

We have to score and we have to score first
I think even 1 win should be enough...doubt that Bolton will win all their remaining games ...what r the remaining fixtures of the bottom 4 teams?... how many of them have to play the top 3-4 teams?...thats why i think i doubt that these teams will be winning all their remaining games...

On the remaining fixtures................I would say Birmingham are the more likely to go down with Burton and Sunderland.

Barnsely also play Bolton........so there is potential dropped points for both.

Ipswich Town v Barnsley
Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers
Leeds United v Barnsley
Nottingham Forest v Barnsley
Barnsley v Brentford
Derby County v Barnsley

Bolton Wanderers v Millwall
Barnsley v Bolton Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers v Wolverhampton Wanderers
Burton Albion v Bolton Wanderers
Bolton Wanderers v Nottingham Forest

Bristol City v Birmingham City
Wolverhampton Wanderers v Birmingham City
Birmingham City v Sheffield United
Queens Park Rangers v Birmingham City
Birmingham City v Fulham

1st goal was sloppy. How many chances to clear? If you don't win headers...you don't win games. Paul Hart said that.

2nd goal. More of the same. Think it went to Ben at the back and he tapped it instead of putting his boot through it.

Teams seem to be targeting Forest's fullback areas. Surprise?

Forest seem lethargic in 1st halves against Millwall and Boro'. But these are top 6/8 sides that have something to play for. They have more pace, energy and directness than Forest. They don't seem to have the obvious specific weaknesses that Forest have...and have a more measured overall team. I guess that's why they're chasing promotion.

...and Forest aren't.

Points of optimism are that both 2nd halves Forest had decent possession stats and there was a reaction against Boro' 2nd half. A bit unlucky that they didn't at least a score a goal...

Forest need another systemic re-build in the Summer. Probably upto ten players bringing in. Keeping some of the loanees and bringing in more quality from outside for strikers, fullbacks and wings. And a couple of meat heads at CH to monster those ping pong high balls into the box.

2 wingers, 2 fullbacks, 2 strikers, 2 centre halves? That's 8 players right there.

More pace. More strength. More athleticism. More guile.

(I remember my 'non-football fan' cohort watching Steve Bruce's Villa at the City Ground. They said, 'It's like watching the Elves vs the Hobbits.')

SA.

No wish to join in the recriminations over Karanka. But the comparison of MWs wins, or losses, against AKs, misses the point. What matters is points. Points gets you promoted or relegated.
And this season MWs team achieved 31 points in 25 games ( or 57 averaged over 46 games)
Whereas AKs has achieved exactly 14 in 14 games (46 in a season; enough to be relegated with in many seasons). And 10 goals in 14 games is not much entertainment (especially when half of them were scored in one game)

Not good enough