Middle Lane Drivers To Be Fined? | Vital Football

Middle Lane Drivers To Be Fined?

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/05/government-announces-incr_n_3387620.html?ncid=webmail1

Drivers who hog the middle lane or tailgate other cars face on-the-spot fines of £100 and three points on their licence under plans unveiled today.

Police are also expected to get powers to issue instant fixed penalty notices for not giving way at a junction or using the wrong lane at a roundabout.

Details of crackdown on anti-social motoring are due to be released by the Government in a statement to Parliament this morning.

Transport minister Stephen Hammond told the Daily Telegraph: "Careless drivers are a menace and their negligence puts innocent people's lives at risk.

"That is why we are making it easier for the police to tackle problem drivers by allowing them to immediately issue a fixed penalty notice rather than needing to take every offender to court.

Only problem, there aren't enough resources for the police to implement this are there!?

About time too!!!

I think the idea is to reduce the strain on resources, by bringing in spot fines, rather than each case involving the issue of a Summons etc etc.

The only thing I can see that may be a problem is they want to look at people who change lanes on Roundabouts at the last moment. Sometimes, if you are not familiar with the area, its had to know what lane you should be in. I suppose we need the Police to sympathetic to these cases, and just stop the idiots doing it on purpose.

This is great news, I am delighted about this, providing they do actually punish these offences and it isnt just talk!

All we need now is for them to also punish the non-indicators (who I bracket with peados and religious extremists) and to balance all this be more lenient with speed restrictions,

then we have driving sorted I think.

you mean bmw drivers jim? :56:

dont mind the middle lane hoggers as just undertake them and give them a wave whilst doing so and watch as the steam vents from their ears lol

Yes people who don't indicate should be bathed in acid.

Mind you it's not just middle lane hoggers , what about the outside lane users who never change lanes at all.

In fact lane discipline in generally piss poor.

Well, for starters, they aren't Middle or Outside lanes. They are overtaking lanes. A few people need to be told this.

It would solve most problems if the Police just stopped classifying undertaking as dangerous driving. We've all got nearside wing mirrors now, and it works fine in many other Countries.

in theory you cannot get done for undertaking heathfield ... as if everyone followed the highway code it should be impossible to do so.

Hopefully this will make everyone more considerate of others, and stop me from partaking in a terrible vice of mine: road rage!

I assume the rules and fines will apply to bus drivers: imo the biggest gobshites on the road. I followed a number 6 back to the terminus a few months ago and offered the driver out there and then, but he wouldnt get out of his little cage the bastard. Clearly not so hard when not steering several tonnes of metal.

badge73 - 5/6/2013 11:46

in theory you cannot get done for undertaking heathfield ... as if everyone followed the highway code it should be impossible to do so.

The problem is that the Police can stop you for it, but they prosecute it as Dangerous driving. I got stopped a few weeks back. I was in a lane getting off a Dual Carriageway, doing 65. I undertook a car in the first overtaking lane (why the f**k he was doing around 50 in a 70 limit, I don't know), and got stopped by an unmarked Police bike.

I told him it wasn't illegal, but he still gave me a lecture. I got off, but they still don't understand.

The Fear - 5/6/2013 11:04

Only problem, there aren't enough resources for the police to implement this are there!?

This is by far the biggest issue. The new laws are fine in principle, but I don't think I've ever seen a police vehicle on the motorway. Plenty of those Highways Agency vehicles, who can't do anything. Which means the idiots that use their mobile, lane hog and all the rest of it will continue to do so as there's little or no chance of them being stopped. :29:

There should be a sort of mobile traffic police/traffic warden set up, as opposed to using police time who really do need to concentrate on other things!

What about tailgate drivers who are doing it as the car in front WONT GET OUT THE MIDDLE LANE !!.

I'll admit I do that, it does my head in, not a sodding car in sight, and some bloody Sunday driver sitting there in there in the middle lane. I therefore sit on his arse (flashing my lights every so often) until the ignorant tosser moves over.

Is that allowed ?

Just lazy driving. Same as those who won't give way and those who won't indicate. Indicating should be second nature, it is easy and polite!

Anything to prop up the falling tax take as the multi-nationals refuse to pay and the SMEs go bust.

What a load of bullshit, how about just banning the old lot that are responsible for most of these motoring "offences" and get rid of BMW drivers too.