Michael Bailey Leaving Archant | Page 2 | Vital Football

Michael Bailey Leaving Archant

Spot on, Olly. I read a lot and am interested in football generally as well as Norwich. I love to read about behind the scenes stuff at football clubs, perhaps because of a particular incident or player and I love a sporting autobiography too. Brian Clough’s is particularly good “Gary Megson, nice lad but couldn’t trap a bag of sand...”
I’ve read a couple of Athletic articles and also Bailey’s first one that he has attached a link to, below.
The Athletic also covers Boxing and Motorsports, amongst all the USA sport and that piqued my interest as well.
I’ve decided to take the plunge and at £2.49 a month it’s the price of a fancy coffee. You also get a month free. I’ll try it for the year and see before renewing but even at £5.00 a month, it’s not much more than a magazine.
I’ve since read two articles this morning, one on Stuart Webber and another on Solskjaer trying to turn it around at United and both were absolutely brilliant, thoroughly enjoyed them, with the Webber one (written by a Simon Hughes, I think) actually told me a lot of stuff I didn’t know.
Like how he flew to Madrid to sign Buendia and conversed with him in Spanish(!), convincing Emi that Norwich was the place for him in a hotel room at 1am.
Also that the high press we were able to operate last season wouldn’t have worked if we’d kept Maddison and Murphy. Farke and Webber felt that pressing wasn’t a strong strength of Madders and that Murphy didn’t always know when and where to run.
He did the Buendia deal when he was selling Pritchard and assured DF that he had a better replacement for both Pritch and Madders in the pipeline, although he wasn’t sure DF believed him.
It seems that The Athletic have hoovered up Britain’s best sports journos and often doubles their salaries. I read an online article suggesting that one regional chap (not Michael Bailey) had been on £37k and they doubled it to get him to leave. This has left a lot of local papers struggling to get quality replacements as they just can’t compete.
Might be your thing, might not but I figure it’s going to better for me to read this sort of quality when I’m say, waiting for my lad while he’s footy training than to just surf mindless stuff on my phone...

Totally agree Tuckster - that article by Hughes that you mention is fantastic, I like the note about Onel too - Webber wanted him at Huddersfield originally, and then Farke did specific 1 on 1 training sessions with him to help improve him over the summer last season. Also Webber tried to get Wolves to sign Pukki when he was there in 2013. Interesting little nuggets

As said before, I follow for the NFL - so all this football stuff is a real added bonus. No adverts or annoying pop ups like you get on the EDP either. I see a real shift coming here, especially on salaries - the EDP post which Dave Freezer left is advertised as a salary of "upto £25,000" - which is for working near enough 7 days a week. Hardly a competitive salary...

And I for one know I will be reading Bailey's articles, and his video content well well before anything Freezer produces I am afraid.

I sense a shift too, newspapers have been slowly dying for years. On the odd occasion I bought a paper these days I’d always start with the sport - current affairs is just too depressing!

So what is the Athletic? Is it a football media platform or is it a sports one? what do you get for membership and do any of you have it?

Gutted that MB has left. His content was always of outstanding quality and sadly for David Freezer he is never going to step into MB's boots. Having been a member of Vital since we transferred over from NCFC-FANS I remember MB quite well and wasn't surprised when he went on from there. I probably won't bother with The Athletic as it's paid subscriptions for essentially news and content which you can find easily online for free... not to mention MB still posts a lot on Facebook and Twitter about anything essential regarding NCFC that we as fans will want to know. All the best in your next challenge MB!

So what is the Athletic? Is it a football media platform or is it a sports one? what do you get for membership and do any of you have it?

From what I understand it's a general sports one which covers everything, including lots of football, but not all leagues. At the moment the only Championship teams covered is Derby, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest and WBA. What that would mean for MB if we were relegated I'm not sure. I suppose it's basically all the content and stuff he was giving before, except maybe in more quantity and under their branding. I just don't see the point in paying for news and content (however good) because it only takes a 5 minute google search to find anything you need to know these days. Between ACN and TNC there's plenty of podcasts elsewhere for those who like to listen to discussions and analysis which are all also free.

I’ve got a different take on it.
At the moment, it’s £2.49 a month (50% off with Bailey’s code till end of Aug).
I decided to take a punt on it when I saw that they also cover boxing & motorsport.
They do all the USA sports as well, if that’s your thing.
I’ve installed the app and am thoroughly enjoying it. They have some very talented writers and I’m using it daily to read stuff on the go, instead of aimlessly surfing the net if I’m say, waiting to pick up my lad from training.
At the price of a posh coffee once a month I’d say it’s definitely worth it but I am interested in football in general, so have read stuff this week about Man Utd, Man City, Sheffield Utd, Spurs as well as NCFC, not to mention Boxing too.
You have to sign up for a year and the money (after one months free trial) will be taken in one hit. I’ll see how it goes over the year as to whether I want to renew at £50 but at the moment, I can’t rate it highly enough.
I reckon that MB will stay on as NCFC correspondent even if we’re relegated (we won’t be).
Overall if you love sport and reading the absolute best writers, then give it a go...

I should say as well that it’s not just news. The articles I’ve really enjoyed have background stuff about transfers and the people involved in them, as well as situations within clubs that aren’t widely reported...

Cheers Tucks.

I read a good piece in the Times yesterday about Norwich and the development of young players.

He’s been a regular on My Football Writer and did the interview with Stuart Webber earlier this year. He’s young but seems a good lad. Sent me a nice message when I had that spat with Dick Menace, told me to keep doing what I’m doing and ignore the noise. Decent of him, I thought.

Based on a blog with another young lad talking about new away membership scheme it was not my cup of tea.
Maybe I am too old to listen to fans about a third of my age who have seen
hardly anything of Norwich City and have such a small history of support,
thinking they know everything.

Last edited:
Rex. Forgotten a lot but able to retain a small amount of knowledge which still surpasses that of young know it all bloggers filming crap in their bedrooms. :grinning::grinning:

Reactions: Rex
He’s been a regular on My Football Writer and did the interview with Stuart Webber earlier this year. He’s young but seems a good lad. Sent me a nice message when I had that spat with Dick Menace, told me to keep doing what I’m doing and ignore the noise. Decent of him, I thought.
So does MFW need a new writer....I'm in.