Michael Bailey Leaving Archant | Vital Football

Michael Bailey Leaving Archant

Tuckster

Alert Team
Staff member
In case you haven’t seen the EDP yet, Michael Bailey is leaving Archant.
That is, I think, a real shame for the way that Norwich City will be reported locally. He has been an excellent local journalist and one who has grabbed new methods and ways of delivering media and given them a right good go.
I do know him personally, having met him for quite a few Pink ‘Un shows over the years and I can tell you that, it seems to me, he has been one of the main drivers there behind all the new media that Archant have put out over the last few years with regard to the Canaries.
Videos, The Pink ‘Un Show on the old Mustard TV and now YouTube, podcasts, Twitter, Instagram etc, he’s been there at the forefront of all this new media as it has been introduced and he’s used most of them to provide some brilliant fan content for the Canary Nation.
Newspapers are a dying business model and no longer is it just about the old hacks like Mick Dennis hanging around outside the player’s lounge waiting for a scoop to happen, knowing that they can’t go back to their editor empty handed.
The printed press is being managed as it dies, as owners and editors look for new ways to get news to people and get them to pay for it but it’s still slowly and painfully dying.
Subscriptions have been tried and not really taken off, with Joe public showing that they would rather scour the internet for free news, especially if they can find an accurate source for it.
That has brought those annoying pop-up adverts that are on virtually every website that you care to look at these days, including this one. They are annoying but it’s a way of people making money out of news and let’s be honest the people who provide news are at work, looking to pay their mortgages, just like the rest of us.
You’ll note that I say “us”. I don’t include myself in the making money out of news media but I suppose that websites like this one have and are contributing to the demise of the printed press. That’s why Mick Dennis gets upset every now and then at what he describes as churnalism. I get that but it isn’t why I started writing for Vital Norwich and in it’s current form and content, I hope you all get a lot more than Churnalism out of it.
For me, it’s a hobby. I’ve always enjoyed writing and what easier thing to write about than the football club I love.
I started out writing match reports for the then editor Mike Dilley, having replied to an advert on the site. Mike left after about six months and then the new editor quickly realised he couldn’t balance a new baby with the effort required to run Vital N so I got asked if I’d like to do it.
After a lot of deliberation I agreed and was suddenly running the thing. I’ve been writing Vital Norwich as you see it now, pretty much single-handed for the last eight years or so.
I had no instruction on how to do it or what I should write about, so I’ve made it up as I’ve gone along.
It’s still really all up in the air for newspapers at the moment and those old hacks are needing to adapt and change to new methods quickly, or risk being left behind as dinosaurs.
It’s happened in a lot of businesses over the last decade or so with the advent of the internet meaning there is a lot more information available at your fingertips if you want to know something.
What’s the best food processor on the market? What is the best hotel in Marrakesh? How long do ants live? How do I change a toilet seat? Etc etc etc.
Just google it and you can find out immediately and if you go to YouTube you can find out how to change a toilet seat with a handy video - just saying.
Getting back to Michael, I know that he put in a massive amount of extra work to get the Archant stuff up on the main sites and out on all the associated media platforms, often working long hours with his various projects that often meant meeting fans out of work to produce the content.
He’s got a young family himself, so I guess Mrs Bailey must be a very understanding lady too.
Michael is an absolute gentleman, generous with his time, opinions and with a huge work ethic. He will be a loss to Norfolk’s local media. He is also a talented journalist who I have no doubt will make a big success of his next project (unannounced but close to home, I wonder...) he also started out being the editor of Vital Norwich - just saying...

Brilliant post Tuckster. You do a damn fine job in my opinion as did Michael Bailey for Archant. His analysis pre and post match was excellent and I hope he doesn't disappear from the scene. I am not a fan of David Freezer either. If he is taking over, he has big boots to fill.

Michael Bailey is great. A big loss to City coverage. Like others I find Freezer rather boring but he has been getting more involved of late so assume he will take over.
Lets hope he gets better. After all I recall Lineker being terrible at first and is now the new Desmond Lynam.

I honestly don’t know where he’s going, he’s off the grid at the moment. I half wonder if he’ll replace Joe Ferrari at NCFC as Comms director? Webber will have seen him at first hand and he’d do a brilliant job. I can’t speak highly enough of Michael, a top bloke...

I posted on your main article but I thought I'd also get it on here too:

I never knew MB was once at vital…how long ago was that? Do you know what his next move will be? I think it’s a real shame.

Tucks is being the editor of this site a full time thing (paid) ? I always thought it was just a hobby type of thing … how clueless I am. I always see the 'write for us' advert but having a full time job puts me off but if you ever need some help I’ll always try.

I honestly don’t know where he’s going, he’s off the grid at the moment. I half wonder if he’ll replace Joe Ferrari at NCFC as Comms director? Webber will have seen him at first hand and he’d do a brilliant job. I can’t speak highly enough of Michael, a top bloke...

He’s off to The Athletic. Got that on decent authority

There were a couple of people alluding to that on Twitter. Interesting.
Sports journalism of reputed high quality but behind a pay wall. It’s mostly American sports at the moment, although they do have Premier League coverage as well as Boxing and motorsports coverage too. I imagine they’re trying to break into the UK market.
It looks like it’s £4.99 per month.
As I wrote above the world’s media is floundering and seemingly doesn’t seem to know how to save itself. This is one solution.

I posted on your main article but I thought I'd also get it on here too:

I never knew MB was once at vital…how long ago was that? Do you know what his next move will be? I think it’s a real shame.

Tucks is being the editor of this site a full time thing (paid) ? I always thought it was just a hobby type of thing … how clueless I am. I always see the 'write for us' advert but having a full time job puts me off but if you ever need some help I’ll always try.
Michael did VN way before I got involved and I only found out when he told me the first time I was on the Pink Un Show.
VN is basically a hobby. I don’t get a salary but there is a small payment every quarter from Vital HQ.
Basically, there is a Vital everything, a Vital Chelsea, a Vital Spurs, a Vital Forest, a Vital Celtic, There’s even Vital Barca and Real Madrid. The business model was set up by some chaps, of whom JP Fear is probably the one you might have seen occasionally post here or on the main pages.
Money is generated for them by adverts, hence the pop ups and I and each of the editors of the different sites provide the content for them.
The payment I get is basically pin money and nowhere near earning a living. If I was 15, you could call it pocket money, it’s literally that low.
I write because I enjoy it, nothing more and I have a full-time job too.
I pretty much run this on my own with the very occasional help of my mates LeeBoz and Diego. Having said that, if any of you guys ever has a burning desire to write about a particular subject or a match etc then let me know.
I’ve used pieces from the forum before, say when someone has written a good match report, for example. I put one on the front page that Nathan NCFC had posted last year and it actually got commented on by “NewsNow” as a great piece of fan based writing.
They emailed JP Fear and said that!
So let me know if anyone ever fancies writing. It could be a one off or as regular/infrequent as you like.

There were a couple of people alluding to that on Twitter. Interesting.
Sports journalism of reputed high quality but behind a pay wall. It’s mostly American sports at the moment, although they do have Premier League coverage as well as Boxing and motorsports coverage too. I imagine they’re trying to break into the UK market.
It looks like it’s £4.99 per month.
As I wrote above the world’s media is floundering and seemingly doesn’t seem to know how to save itself. This is one solution.

As an avid NFL fan I already have a subscription and I must say they do do some cracking content, well worth the money I paid (I managed to get it for an offer for £2.99 per month). Now they’re adding football over here I think it’s very much worth the money, it will blow Archant’s stuff out the water I’m afraid

As an avid NFL fan I already have a subscription and I must say they do do some cracking content, well worth the money I paid (I managed to get it for an offer for £2.99 per month). Now they’re adding football over here I think it’s very much worth the money, it will blow Archant’s stuff out the water I’m afraid
You would imagine that MB will be covering PL as well as NCFC - he’s also a big F1 fan, so lots of scope there too...

I had never heard of The Athletic until this morning . I can see why Michael Bailey is joining it (if true) as it will test him against the worlds top sports writers ...apart from the monetary rewards . I just wonder if it is a business model that will work and is sustainable . An initial £60M investment in the company is a lot , and is apparently dependant on a minimum of 100,000 subscribers paying nearly £40 a month . Maybe it will work as there is a global interest in the Premier League , but for fans like me who have no interest whatsoever in what the big clubs are doing and are only interested in NCFC then I can’t see them buying a subscription . Perhaps the world is changing for us old fashioned fans into one we don’t recognise and have difficulty adapting to ! !

I think it’s currently £4.99 a month. Looks like a lot of decent content for motorsports and boxing, which interest me along with Premier League. I guess if it works out then they will start covering lower leagues too. Obviously American focussed to begin with.

Michael did VN way before I got involved and I only found out when he told me the first time I was on the Pink Un Show.
VN is basically a hobby. I don’t get a salary but there is a small payment every quarter from Vital HQ.
Basically, there is a Vital everything, a Vital Chelsea, a Vital Spurs, a Vital Forest, a Vital Celtic, There’s even Vital Barca and Real Madrid. The business model was set up by some chaps, of whom JP Fear is probably the one you might have seen occasionally post here or on the main pages.
Money is generated for them by adverts, hence the pop ups and I and each of the editors of the different sites provide the content for them.
The payment I get is basically pin money and nowhere near earning a living. If I was 15, you could call it pocket money, it’s literally that low.
I write because I enjoy it, nothing more and I have a full-time job too.
I pretty much run this on my own with the very occasional help of my mates LeeBoz and Diego. Having said that, if any of you guys ever has a burning desire to write about a particular subject or a match etc then let me know.
I’ve used pieces from the forum before, say when someone has written a good match report, for example. I put one on the front page that Nathan NCFC had posted last year and it actually got commented on by “NewsNow” as a great piece of fan based writing.
They emailed JP Fear and said that!
So let me know if anyone ever fancies writing. It could be a one off or as regular/infrequent as you like.
Thanks for letting me know. I remember you posting a couple of my posts in the past. I am always happy to help with anything on this site as it's been part of my life for about 8 years now and it's been great. Plus I love sport and writing about it is fab...so let me know anytime.