Micah Richards | Page 5 | Vital Football

Micah Richards

How on earth would he have passed any of those medicals? I really cant see why we wouldnt have let him go, especially with his huge salary and lack of playing time

More than possible that maybe we blocked the move knowing he wouldn't pass, but he just took it as us blocking the move full stop rather than maybe considering there was an element of us trying to protect him from further disappointment to keep his spirits up.

JF has mentioned plenty of times he was working and trying to get back to fitness afterall, but couldn't?

Fair point as well. Although I think from memory (?) he implied one of the interests was the summer we went down, the other two were wide open.

£50k a week for influence? There’s got to be more to it than that. So glad we do not buy or sign these washed up players anymore like him or Lescott. To think they’re both brummies and the latter a Villa fan as a kid.

£50k a week for influence? There’s got to be more to it than that. So glad we do not buy or sign these washed up players anymore like him or Lescott. To think they’re both brummies and the latter a Villa fan as a kid.
Guys, we keep on blaming the players when it was the inept management structure that was rotten. The players always get the flack for not being good enough. Leicester's team was not good enough on paper, worth about the same as a dog license and because of the culture from the top, they went and did the impossible. If you work in the wrong culture you get shite results - players have to bear some of the responsibility, but please, they are not the root cause. They are over privileged young people who react the same way as most if us when criticised - not well.

They weren’t the root cause but they saw an opportunity to take a huge pay day for doing relatively little on the pitch. I do think Richards had a much better attitude than Lescott, and there are some more positive stories about his influence. My point is I wouldn’t have kept him on the payroll for “influence” and I’m glad our new transfer policy is buying younger talent.

They were also in their 30’s so I wouldn’t call them young people unless you mean they were over privileged when they were young?

It’s all in the past anyway, thank Lord McGrath.

They weren’t the root cause but they saw an opportunity to take a huge pay day for doing relatively little on the pitch. I do think Richards had a much better attitude than Lescott, and there are some more positive stories about his influence. My point is I wouldn’t have kept him on the payroll for “influence” and I’m glad our new transfer policy is buying younger talent.

They were also in their 30’s so I wouldn’t call them young people unless you mean they were over privileged when they were young?

It’s all in the past anyway, thank Lord McGrath.
Fully agree with this, but I just hate the "Westwood's crap" brigade. Every player makes mistakes every game and only very few players reach the heights of McCormack or Gabby for taking the piss.

Really non plussed and ever so slightly peeved to hear Micah as a 'pundit' on R5 and Football Focus. I place absolutely zero credibility in his 'opinions' on football - because, how the fuck would he know?

Fully agree with this, but I just hate the "Westwood's crap" brigade. Every player makes mistakes every game and only very few players reach the heights of McCormack or Gabby for taking the piss.
And me, pal. The Westwood who never mugged off the fans, always gave 100%, openly sobbed on the pitch at our inevitable relegation, and played to management instructions? The same Westwood who now plays consistently well in the PL and was Player of the Year and performed In Europe? Perhaps he should have got some tattoos and a stupid haircut......

I've got some time for him, unlike some of you, as I know what it is like to have your career cut short and how shite it is when all of a sudden, you are sitting there trying to come to terms with it.

Fair enough, he's made for life (if he has been sensible) money wise, and he didn't have to retire at an age like boy wonder Gary Shaw did, but I was told he was always trying to get back, didn't accept his injury was 'it' and that it was tough to come to terms with.

Why is that hard to believe guys?

He wasn't one of the toxic players from that time, he was just injured and never got over his injury. I do wonder what happened at Villa in that he wasn't (I assume) insured and couldn't be paid off.

It is hard I guess, to understand a multi millionaire going through a tough time coming to terms with the end of a career, but that is how it looks and from private conversations with those at the club (as expressed a few times in this thread I think) it wasn't for the lack of trying, the fact he never made it back.

"I don't want to say I was depressed myself, because there are people I know who have had issues with their mental health and have suffered from depression and I don't think what I went through was on the same level.

I always tried to stay positive, and keep a smile on my face... but I needed help.

There was a time for a few months where I was coming into training just for a gym session on my own. Steve Bruce, the manager at the time, would sometimes see me and say to me "I am worried about you" but each time, me being me, I would tell him I was fine. I really wasn't.

I would go into the gym and tell myself "I am all right, I am all right, I am all right" but actually I had no idea how to deal with what was happening to me, and my body.

I am a very positive person, but you don't get taught how to deal with the end of your career. Never."

I've got some time for him, unlike some of you, as I know what it is like to have your career cut short and how shite it is when all of a sudden, you are sitting there trying to come to terms with it.

Fair enough, he's made for life (if he has been sensible) money wise, and he didn't have to retire at an age like boy wonder Gary Shaw did, but I was told he was always trying to get back, didn't accept his injury was 'it' and that it was tough to come to terms with.

Why is that hard to believe guys?

He wasn't one of the toxic players from that time, he was just injured and never got over his injury. I do wonder what happened at Villa in that he wasn't (I assume) insured and couldn't be paid off.

It is hard I guess, to understand a multi millionaire going through a tough time coming to terms with the end of a career, but that is how it looks and from private conversations with those at the club (as expressed a few times in this thread I think) it wasn't for the lack of trying, the fact he never made it back.

"I don't want to say I was depressed myself, because there are people I know who have had issues with their mental health and have suffered from depression and I don't think what I went through was on the same level.

I always tried to stay positive, and keep a smile on my face... but I needed help.

There was a time for a few months where I was coming into training just for a gym session on my own. Steve Bruce, the manager at the time, would sometimes see me and say to me "I am worried about you" but each time, me being me, I would tell him I was fine. I really wasn't.

I would go into the gym and tell myself "I am all right, I am all right, I am all right" but actually I had no idea how to deal with what was happening to me, and my body.

I am a very positive person, but you don't get taught how to deal with the end of your career. Never."

A few years ago I was having a conversation with a bloke about materialism etc and he asked me in what way having more money would make me happy. It was a very thought provoking question. We go through our lives saving, borrowing, paying back focusing on the next thing and after that the next thing. The celebrity obsessed media projects images of wonderfully happy people on yachts and in 5 star hotels only for the same people to check themselves into rehab shortly after.

Not having enough money will make you miserable but money doesn't buy happiness and often only highlights how unhappy people are when the excuse of not having enough money is taken away.

It's difficult to have sympathy for a multi-millionaire footballer but it's clear that he suffered emotionally facing up to the end of his career.

The secret footballer talked in detail about his battle with depression while playing in the PL.

All life is suffering.

The people who should carry the can for the Micah saga is whoever gave him the contract? It was hardly unknown he had dodgy knees. If you want to sign him do a pay as you play deal. The mind boggles about the contract he was offered. You can hardly blame him for accepting?

Money does not buy anyone happiness, never has and never will. Money buys you choices, the choice to do what you want and when you want, if you have no money the restriction of choices controls your well being. I am comfortable in my life now as I have the choice to put my sons well being at the top of my wish list whilst at no time making them snowflakes as they know that my childhood was a million miles from theirs, when you break it down, good people do good things and it comes back to them.