Messi | Vital Football

Messi

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
You have to feel sorry for Messi in tears because he is having to leave Barcelona because of (according to him) unfair financial fair play rules. I mean it’s not like being worth over 300m and being able to earn millions from sponsorship means you could play for nothing if it meant that much to you.

You have to feel sorry for Messi in tears because he is having to leave Barcelona because of (according to him) unfair financial fair play rules. I mean it’s not like being worth over 300m and being able to earn millions from sponsorship means you could play for nothing if it meant that much to you.

Indeed you do wonder how on earth he can possibly cope without a proper salary coming in. Tough times for Lionel

😟

Strangely I did read today even he played for nothing they would breach the guidelines. Struggling with the logic of that one to be honest

I've heard stories that his Dad is very heavily involved in influencing and controlling his finances, even now.

If true, (I have no way of evidencing said 'stories') maybe it is time for him to take a more independent and mature stance but I guess it's complicated when family are involved and things haven't exactly gone badly for him.

I feel he could give a little back to Barca but it's professional sport ultimately so you rarely see sentiment or loyalty.

Still the best player ever, for me.

Strangely I did read today even he played for nothing they would breach the guidelines. Struggling with the logic of that one to be honest

Baffling maths for sure (have they sought assistance from EFL on administering club finances?).

Anyway, how about Mr Lionel pays to play then? Would that get Barca inside the rules?

He'd still come out millions ahead through sponsorship and tax advice services.

It's really quite simple :)

The Spanish League sets the salary limit (1st team, 2nd team, and coaches) for each club in advance of the season based on its projected income and taking into account its debts. The salary limit also includes net transfer spend.

This enabled all La Liga clubs, apart from Valencia, to operate at a profit prior to Covid.

Going into Covid Barcelona's wage bill was enormous, over 600m euros a year, 133m of which was Messi's gross pay.

With the combined effects of Covid reductions in revenue and Barcelona's ludicrous transfer policy their wage bill had to be halved last season. For this season it's reported to have to be somewhere between 160-200m euros, so less than a third of what it was just two seasons ago. Most, if not all, their players have taken a salary hit.

However, even with those reductions they are still substantially over the limit with their currently contracted players - in fact some of those may not be able to be registered to play either, even though the club has to pay them. They have to get rid of players and generate some transfer income just to get themselves inside the limit.

Had Messi been under contract the situation may have been very different, but his contracted ended on 30th June. To re-sign him therefore meant he would be treated as a new signing.

They can't register any new signings, including Depay or Aguero, until they're under the salary limit.

A "normal" club could get around this by the introduction of new capital from the owner. However, 4 clubs in Spain are members clubs and don't have an owner - these are Real Madrid, Athletic Club, Osasuna and Barcelona.

So.... even if he agreed to play for nothing (and that was legal), he still could not do so.

I’m not falling for Messi’s crocodile tears, and it’ll be interesting to see if he can help PSG finally clinch their first CL this term.

In terms of ability he’s the GOAT bar Maradona (who I didn’t see play LIVE unfortunately) in my opinion.

There is a small part of me that would’ve loved to have seen him in a blue shirt at the Etihad, but I’m more than content with watching Grealish line up alongside Foden & KDB instead.

I’m not falling for Messi’s crocodile tears, and it’ll be interesting to see if he can help PSG finally clinch their first CL this term.

In terms of ability he’s the GOAT bar Maradona (who I didn’t see play LIVE unfortunately) in my opinion.

There is a small part of me that would’ve loved to have seen him in a blue shirt at the Etihad, but I’m more than content with watching Grealish line up alongside Foden & KDB instead.

From a fan's perspective if it was a choice of Messi for a couple of seasons now, or Grealish, I would much sooner have Messi because that would be a privilege to have him in your side. Even at his age he would be the greatest player to ever play for Manchester City, and probably in English football in general, though I imagine plenty of people will disagree with that assessment.

That's because he can still create things out of nothing that no other player can. It does mean that, whoever he plays for, everyone will end up playing around him, but he wins games, so short term it's a huge advantage.

Those thinking it doesn't matter that he hasn't gone to a PL team are short-sighted, the league wouldn't have seen anything like it.