Mertsacker and Murphy | Vital Football

Mertsacker and Murphy

MaltaRed

Vital Football Hero
One of the things that it was evident on Sunday was that how important is the physical condition of players is these days.
Probably, if before Sunday we were offered Per Mertsacker on loan for the rest of the season, would have said that this was a coup and this will stabilize the defense. Young Brereton showed that in this day an age fitness is overtaking technique.
I think that this applies to our Murphy, no way he would have managed to do what Brereton and Cash did on Sunday for the whole 90 minutes, thus making him predictable and not the threat that we need when playing with one striker (maybe if we play with two, one of them being a Brereton type of player). Infact Arsenal fans (after the game) that Per is still OK when playing in a 3 at the back system (central), playing two have exposed him.
Conclusion: we have to be careful what players will bring at the club, being on loan or permanently, in this day an age past success means nothing.
To note also that even Vaughan, later in the game started showing signs of tiredness by misplaced passes, especially in dangerous places.
In my opinion these are players to have around, yes, to give advice to the young ones and maybe bring in in the last 20 or so minutes to shore up a game (or change a compromised one).

Arsenal fans thought Vaughan was overrun.

Championship is a different kettle of fish. I doubt Lichaj would have been allowed the time to score that second goal at our level. There are also plenty of games where Murphy is the perfect option because he can exploit the naievety of younger defenders.

No, he's never going to run behind a high line and get one on one with the keeper, but whip it across the box and I would put money on him sticking it in.

On the right day Vaughan can run the game. It's not even about 20 minutes.

But both players are already declining

What are the stats for Sundays pass completion? Cloughs first touch was poor but Osborn misplaced quite a few passes.

Apollyon - 10/1/2018 07:54

What are the stats for Sundays pass completion? Cloughs first touch was poor but Osborn misplaced quite a few passes.

You can find the figures here

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1250099/Live/England-FA-Cup-2017-2018-Nottingham-Forest-Arsenal

But Clough's completion was 88%, Osborn 74%.

Cloughs passing wasn't in question FC, it was his first touch. Thats poor for Benny and exactly what I saw.

Not knocking him though because passion and intensity won us that match and his bag his bottomless. Just taken the rose tinted bins off and thinking about the individual performances. Thoses scores are pretty accurate for me, Cash, Dowell and Bereton were superb.

Apollyon - 10/1/2018 08:52

Not knocking him though because passion and intensity won us that match and his bag his bottomless. Just taken the rose tinted bins off and thinking about the individual performances. Thoses scores are pretty accurate for me, Cash, Dowell and Bereton were superb.

Dowell on the ball and off the ball are 2 different players off the ball he drifts left far to much on Sunday he kept leaving Cash far too much to do thank god Cash had an absolute blinder to stop them taking advantage

Fantastic cross by Dowell for the first though really top class

Mark2310 - 10/1/2018 09:39

Apollyon - 10/1/2018 08:52

Dowell on the ball and off the ball are 2 different players off the ball he drifts left far to much on Sunday he kept leaving Cash far too much to do thank god Cash had an absolute blinder to stop them taking advantage

Fantastic cross by Dowell for the first though really top class
Agree 100%...most of the times the top class technique of Dowell masks his lack of overall contribution to the team...

Apollyon - 10/1/2018 08:48

Cloughs passing wasn't in question FC, it was his first touch. Thats poor for Benny and exactly what I saw.

He didn't have a game from where I was sitting either. Although his was the first shot, I think, which set the tone a bit.