Merry Christmas | Vital Football

Merry Christmas

Let’s hope for a late Christmas present from the team this evening. Seems to me Bruce is a bit nervous about the game.

Happy Boxing Day to all.

A very enjoyable game. We were quality when we needed to be and gritty when necessary.

Our energy levels and oppressing blew them away in the end.

A classic contrast of young up and coming players playing as a team against a load of experienced and costly senior pro's from the Championship and Premiership (and Grealish) not playing very well as a team.

A great night at GP despite the conditions, late KO time and understandable no shows. When we play like this we are a joy to watch, and still we can play better. The back line looks more solid since the addition of the excellent Mepham, who dominated Hogan and what a prospect. Our midfield clicked and passed round Villa's with pace and purpose about everything they did, Sawyers, Canos, Woods, Josh & Flo excelled and we pressed hard all over. Throw Vibe on a hot steak into the mix and 2-1 flattered them a bit. That said we had a couple of iffy moments including a goal line scramble that was imminently avoidable. So that's us on a respectable 34 points at the turn, if we're being critical it could have been so many more and in truth only Wolves have looked a level above us. Frustrating but who cares, we do our thing, sell players, bring in new talent and consistently upset the odds against the entitled so called elite. Honestly GP should be full every week because these are golden days and we are almost always worth a watch, unlike many other sides in the division. Highlight of the night was seeing Judge back in the side, and with Marcondes to come things could get very interesting depending on the next few results and the transfer window. My hope is that we can keep picking up big points and not have to sell anyone, call me naive, and the trip to Wolves next week seems huge, imagine if we nicked something there? Keep an eye on potential moves elsewhere involving Tarkowski and Mawson, huge sell on potential if they switch clubs in Jan.

All in all a very good start to the holiday period, be nice to finally overcome Wednesday at GP on Sat, I'll be there and am optimistic for the rest of the season, and no meltdowns if we do sell someone, they know what they are doing.

Happy new year to all.

Nice way to end the year and festive season with a very well deserved win against Wednesday.

Slow start but once we found our feet we blew them away. Our tempo and attacking spirit was amazing, the benefits of a young and very fit side rather than an aging and expensive one (who looked rather overweight) rather like Villa.

Sawyers was unplayable and Flo was dazzling down the wings and deserved his goal. Good to see Josh have a good run in the side if only for 68 minutes each game. Mepham is making that position his own and did well against their giant.

Happy days and onto Wolves without any fear.

A good win that started slowly. I was concerned for first fifteen minutes as we struggled to get out of our half with any certainty. But we soon gained control. They were poor. Very poor.

Just to show that I am fair, I think Vibe played the best game I can remember him playing. Took the goal really well too. However, as Kent suggests, Sawyers was incredible. For me MOM but the modern trend is the lazy one, if he scores it's him that is MOM. Sawyers cannot have any doubters now, surely?
Josh was excellent but wasteful at times and agree completely, Mepham is making that his position and it's for Egan now to win it back.

I hope for a point at Wolves.

OK we will call Wolves the end of the festive season and move on!!

Long way to go on a Tuesday night to see us lose but thankfully the roads were clear. We did very well until Woods ( who was overall very good) lost the ball and gave away a cheap foul from which they scored. We were still dusting ourselves down when they scored again and it was all over from there. We huffed and puffed but Wolves are too good a side to throw away a lead like that.

We took the game to them and I would guess not many teams do that at Molineux and we kept pressing for a goal right to the end, so proud of that.

A good test of where we need to be against a Premiership team in waiting methinks.

Happy New Year to all you diehards. Just got back from Australia, so totally out of the loop. Things have changed in 3 weeks, so maybe I should do it more often. Glad to see that Sawyers is getting recognition instead of boos. How often in the past have we needed a player like him.

Well summed up, Kent. I just wish we could have changed things around a bit. The system we were using was being easily snuffed out by Wolves and just changing Vibe for Maupay did nothing.
The sad fact of the night was we had no shot on target, I can remember a poor free kick, a corner that hit side netting and a second half shot that blazed over. They totally over ran us and made us look poor, we have to be honest.
I think the most troubling thing on the night was that it showed that we aren't ready to go up by a long way. Wolves were a class apart and they will struggle up there.
Still think we'll make play offs though.

Hasn’t been great these past 2 game has it. Thought we were naive at Wolves & was disappointed with the account we gave of ourselves. Plenty of tidy passes with no intent but having got to HT we needed to play smart & break well - we didn’t & although goals 1 & 2 were decent they came off our sloppiness, felt the GK should have done better on the 3rd.

Then on to Sat & for all the changes I felt we had more than enough to beat them. Again lots of over playing without an outlet up front. County offered little other than energy & shape, then score a worldy & we ran out of time trying to get back in it. A few v poor performances from players hoping to be involved this week, god we lack forward options. Great to see Judgey out there & he looked our best player.

Hopefully we’re not entering a Jan slump to go with the worry of the window. Tough game Sat

Missed the FA cup game so hard to comment on what went on but your report Rebel seems very much in common with others.

Agree Saturday will be quite a tough game, they are on a relatively good run and are one of those direct and physically strong sides that we struggle against often. Think DS will stick pretty close to the Wolves team for this one.