Merino | Vital Football

Merino

Paul Kannell

Vital 1st Team Regular
A joy to watch this lad, a class act. Should be 3 up, Lascelles should've buried a superb corner and Joselu from a sublime Mbemba ball. Need to take these chances.

He played well today against a typical big, robust Stoke side. We had the chances to score 3 or 4 more and what looked a clear penalty turned down. Stoke threw Crouch on with his aerial threat near the end and it was backs to the wall stuff. A glancing header was just wide of the post in the last minute or so but we hung on for three precious points which takes us to the dizzy heights of 4th in the league .

Paul Kannell - 16/9/2017 18:52

Shelvey offered nothing when he came on as well, should stay on the bench.

I agree Merino and Hayden should start, and I can be Shelvey's biggest critic, but I don't think his job today was to come on and spray it around.

Hayden had worked tirelessly but we needed a fresh pair of legs to help shore things up and stop the supply line the Shaqiri, by far their biggest threat.

I thought Shelvey played his part in that (although I admit by then I was watching through my fingers)

Merino actually started sloppily with a few miss-placed passes and being slightly off the pace before adapting to the swirly, wet conditions after 10 minutes or so.

What came after was just a continuation of what looks like the first chapters of the autobiography of a world class player in waiting.

One big plus for us as he gets closer to that 20 game mark that will see him signed permanently is that we should see a 2nd season out of him here because if he was already owned by us, Ashley would have agents already in place in readiness for a £30m + move in the Summer.

Dont think we can keep him a secret for too much longer as Sky and the usual 'experts' will cotton on soon and have him shifted away before he's really started as if we dont deserve him.

I think the selection of Merino v Shelvey will come down to who we are playing.

If the opposition defence is particularly slow or is missing more than one regular or fielding more than one inexperienced players, then Shelvey will get the nod first.

So good to have two players of their calibre fighting for one shirt though. What a difference it makes when competition for places becomes a factor.

Two completely different players though as Merino is more link man and box to box whereas Shelvey can pick a long pass. Merino's vision and choice of pass is right up there for a kid with plenty of room to grow.

That's what I mean, selection will often be down to who we are playing. Shelvey can pick a pass through slower teams defences; or pick a pass when opposition team selection isn't their usual or as they would want it.

Merino is more 'compact' and will be used to stop us being overrun in the middle.

A very nice option to have.

Also, sends out a message to Shelvey - if you go out of the team for any reason, don't simply expect to get your shirt back, as you would have before.

CuckFan - 16/9/2017 19:53

That's what I mean, selection will often be down to who we are playing. Shelvey can pick a pass through slower teams defences; or pick a pass when opposition team selection isn't their usual or as they would want it.

Merino is more 'compact' and will be used to stop us being overrun in the middle.

A very nice option to have.

Also, sends out a message to Shelvey - if you go out of the team for any reason, don't simply expect to get your shirt back, as you would have before.

I think the message applies to everyone, whether injury, suspension or whatever as Lejeune and Gayle have found out also.

I tend to agree with the feeling that it will be either one of Merino or Shelvey although ive no doubt they can play together and will. Hayden had his usual injury stint today where he needs the trainers on so he's due an absence, then we'll find out which player needs to adapt their game.

I reckon Shelvey will be moved further forward on the back of Merino's technical ability.

Shelvey's mobility goes against him if pushed forward, he's technically good enough but lacks the dynamism of a good no 10.