mental health and murder | Vital Football

mental health and murder

badge73

Vital 1st Team Regular
A string of police blunders meant a psychiatric patient and convicted killer remained free to commit murder.

Just before knifing a woman to death, Nicola Edgington rang 999 four times from a hospital begging to be arrested.

A simple check would have told officers that she had stabbed her mother to death in 2005, but no-one accessed the Police National Computer and a crucial opportunity to section her under the Mental Health Act was missed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2287883/Nicola-Edgington-Woman-jailed-37-years-stabbing-mother-freed-kill-agan.html#ixzz2Mf5MY3O1

was watching this with interest most of yesterday and even this morning asking my several questions.

is she being used as a scapegoat for incompetent police and mental health units?

why was she released when already convicted of murder?

plus one of the most important questions on which begs belief, if a person with symptoms as such do? i mean no good phoning the coppers or handing yourself in to a mental health unit ...

another one was the judge calling her scheming ... er hello she phoned the rozzers 5 bloody times, probably ended up talking to john smith in new delhi
:10:

five times or four?

Now I'm starting to suspect you played a part in this as well Badge.

:14:

Sounds a grizzly case that.

think she phoned them from somewhere else as well lol

i did have to look to see if she was one of my exs fear, though to be fair she sounds like the average bint from the unicorn, rest its very soul ...

Terrible story , just killed the poor woman randomly.

Heard the statement from the murdered womans husband yesterday. He is a broken man. If I were him I would be finding it very hard not to be bitter at the police.

exactly sir dennis, i for one would have so many questions, from the reports that i have read from the trial the judge wasnt exactly the best "judge" either, trying to excuse the authorities.

i honestly dont know how i would of reacted if i was the husband of the victim, and can see why the complaints lot got involved, but again you never see any heads rolling etc as seems now a days the trend is "lets blame everyone, that way we all keep our jobs and pensions" very sad times.

It could be argued that this is the problem with modern Britain, everyone expects the state to be the perfect failsafe for every possible eventuality.

Stinks of incompetence from a number of quarters to me. T

I remember when we had phsychiatric hospitals specially for patients like this one, but of course they where mostly closed down and sold for developing.

So much for "Care In The Community". Obviously I mean in general, not just this sad case.

They call it so called 'care in the community'

What they don't add is it's about money before care

BodyButter - 5/3/2013 15:37

It could be argued that this is the problem with modern Britain, everyone expects the state to be the perfect failsafe for every possible eventuality.

its just me thinking its just a basic one, i mean when someone rings and says they will murder .... it would be handy just to do a basic check would it not?

Shouldn't that be 'care' in the community?

Or it's official title, 'let them out and fuck em off' in the community.

badge73 - 6/3/2013 19:36

BodyButter - 5/3/2013 15:37

its just me thinking its just a basic one, i mean when someone rings and says they will murder .... it would be handy just to do a basic check would it not?

Just playing devil's advocate here, surely the police must get hundreds of mental phone calls every week.

I know a lad who used to work for the British embassy here and he used to get phone calls from Brits on holiday looking for a taxi or directions to tourist attractions.

Someone rings up the local rozzers and says 'I am going to murder someone' they will probably get asked to call back laterwhen they've done it.

i would agree to a point as no doubt loads of calls from the unstable, yet as in the article ... phoned from the hospital, which is a bit of twist compared to someone pissed up at 3 am wanting to have a go.
hence being a basic check, as all numbers are recorded and traced of where abouts etc.

Loads of cuts to the police though and a lot are now more tied down doing paperwork than what they would want to be doing.

Nowhere near the levels of this as I haven't murdered anyone, but have dealt with hospitals etc.

They seem hell bent on discharging at all costs! I hit the wall a few weeks ago and volunteered myself to hospital (for my own safety as nobody I knew was close) and I got sent home after initial assessment, fortunately I was able to hold things together and not return there hours later as I was worried about!

The police surely have a duty to investigate these things? A stupid failing of the admin-ruling world we live in.

if you ever get to that stage murph, then make a list of people to find ... such of those who take the piss out of planes and railways (hint, deano and jim) plus all the ginga abuse, might as well add fear to the list as he puts down anyone with hair!! :17: