Memorable games | Page 2 | Vital Football

Memorable games

Semi final 1974 v Burnley. I was 15 went with mates from school. The two goals by Supermac and the atmosphere the whole day, the excitement under aged drinking probably tins of tartan and the like. A fantastic day never to be forgotten. The Forest QF game at SJP the same year was epic aswell. I was in the Leazes End when it all went off it was proper nuts. Those were great days standing up you really felt that you were part of something special even though a lot of games were in fact not that great. It was the whole day that mattered a sense of belonging!

5-0 forest at home, last game of the season. We jumped above the bindippers to 2nd plus Boro and the Tramps were relegated. If I remember correctly Dalglish started with Shearer, Sir Les and Tino as a 3 man forward line. Later on Les dropped back and played central defence. Nice day out in the sunshine.
Forgot about that, magnificent performance, I remember the Forest keeper (Crossley?) saying afterwards that it was a wall of black and white bearing down constantly on the goal, he was in a state of panic for 90 minutes. What a team, of course as Finn said Dalglish replaced Ginola and Ferdinand, two players at the peak of their game, with his finished mates Barnes and Rush, the rest is history.

Strangely for me some of my best memories were at away games. The away game at Leeds in '78, we were bottom of the league yet supporters still went down in their droves to watch a game against a team in the top 4. We got battered, a local lad Barton made his debut at centre half. He was up against Joe Jordan but wily Joe gave him a debut to remember. He, (Barton) was carried off. Against all the odds Micky Burns scored and we went on to win 2-0. A memorable game, both inside and outside the ground

Last edited:
All away games, all memorable to me for various reasons, I don’t suppose anyone else gives a shit 😀

Brighton at The Goldstone, FA Cup 1983, Terry Mac screamer to equalise, lose the replay at home. Brighton go on to the final of course.

Derby 1983. Promotion season, 2 up at half time, somehow conjure up a 3-2 defeat. 7,000 of us the old Baseball Ground.

Cambridge 1984, same promotion season as above. They had hardly won at home all season, we were closing in on promotion. Cambridge 1 Newcastle 0.

Norwich 1987, Tuesday night, Mirandinha’s debut.

Coventry 1987, win 3-1, Gazza and Mira run the show, Paul Goddard also excellent.

Boxing Day 1988, Sheffield Wed, Rob McDonald scoring.

Arsenal 1989, the day of Hillsborough. Expecting a hammering at the eventual Champions, came away quietly satisfied with a 1-0 loss, kept respect. Knew one of my best mates, Liverpool supporter, was on the Leppings Lane that day, thankfully survived. Midnight NE coach back to Newcastle after drinking in the West End all night, landed 5am Sunday.

Wimbledon, two weeks later. Drove there, lost 4-0, turned around and drove back.

Millwall 1991, Gavin Peacock early goal, won 1-0. Bricked afterwards, horrible twats.

Southend, New Years Day 1992. Hadn’t checked kick off time, assumed 3pm. Stumbled there, still half cut, from London. Walking towards the ground fans walking away from ground. Midday fucking kick off.
Lost 4-0 aswell 😖

Oxford, a few weeks later. 2-5, a low point.

Many others in between but finish on a high, Benfica 2013. Flights direct to Lisbon were either sold out or extortionate.
Flew to Faro from Manchester, stayed overnight to get an early morning train up to Lisbon (4 hour journey). Arrived at Faro train station at 7am expecting no one to be about, met a black and white queue out of the station, happy days and at least we scored first 😀

Last edited:
I was at a couple of them neppos the Millwall game was the scariest game i have ever been at bricks bottles and coins thrown from the minute we got off the train and it seemed like the whole family had came out to kill us, a little old lady was screaming at us that we were all ***** and we were gojng to die. I never went back

I was at a couple of them neppos the Millwall game was the scariest game i have ever been at bricks bottles and coins thrown from the minute we got off the train and it seemed like the whole family had came out to kill us, a little old lady was screaming at us that we were all ***** and we were gojng to die. I never went back

Hahaha, me neither Bruce.

I've met a few over the years, West Ham, Chelsea etc.

Millwall are a different breed altogether.

Thumbs up for 3 of those games Neppos as ones I was at- especially Derby away ‘83. I have commented on that game before and is an away game that will always live with me. Baseball Ground was my favourite away ground closely followed by Elland Road just for atmosphere and adrenaline.

Coventry away - that was that Cyril Regis screamer, yeah?

Rob McDonald - yeah loads of us there at Hillsborough for that 1.

Thumbs up for 3 of those games Neppos as ones I was at- especially Derby away ‘83. I have commented on that game before and is an away game that will always live with me. Baseball Ground was my favourite away ground closely followed by Elland Road just for atmosphere and adrenaline.

Yeah, Regis took it on the chest and volleyed it in from just outside the box.

Gazza and Darren Jackson then made the points safe.

Not that ive been to that many away games but funnily enough I went to this one and among our group was a couple of Coventry fans who were sick of their club and just supported whoever they were playing. Strange.

Can also remember travelling all hours to see us play Wimbledon away in the league cup at Crystal Palace's shit ground only to see us missing Lee Clark and Andy Cole due to a tiff. A shit performance and defeat obviously followed before getting home after a nigh on 24 hour trip oot.

I love Selhurst Park as an away day, i was at Uni in London so it was handy and there was a nice pub just round the corner from the ground and we always seemed to play well so it goes in my memory as a happy place, my favourite away grounds were Norwich and Ipswich had some great days out at those grounds.

Probably too early in the day for me to open up the memory banks and try to think of my happy away day grounds but off the top of my head ive always liked Blackpool's ground. It's just one road away from the town centre attractions and loads of bars etc.

Quite a few for me.

Last game in Div1 with Keegan, 8-0, or 8-1 against Leicester, what a atmosphere.
Near the end of the season before and David Kelly at home to Portsmouth.
Shearer scoring 5 in SBR's first game, Tino v Barca, Barca away twice, Metz in the freezing cold, Monaco in the Spring. Being told by Sir John Hall we should have travelled officially when 300 of us were looking for tickets, after travelling with Keith Barrett. Then getting in the stadium for 25 Euros, and been told to keep quiet by the barca fan who got us in. Blowing a trumpet in Mark Lawrenson's Ear whilst paying 5 euros a bottle in the hotel, he properly lost it!!!

Leicester was always feisty, Man City took it to a different level in the 80's as well, there were some units around that day.

I can never get those links to work but you get the drift and can look it up yourselves anyway. Talk about relief. It was pandemonium.