Mellow out for the season | Vital Football

Mellow out for the season

Can’t remember the last time we had this amount of serious injuries. And it’s not like they are fitness related (pulls, soft tissue etc). A broken leg and an ACL(?) is pretty damn unlucky. Plus the lesser injuries (but still lengthy) to Dempsey and now Jacko.

Wonder if, and who, we will get in as cover/replacements.

Can’t remember the last time we had this amount of serious injuries. And it’s not like they are fitness related (pulls, soft tissue etc). A broken leg and an ACL(?) is pretty damn unlucky. Plus the lesser injuries (but still lengthy) to Dempsey and now Jacko.

Wonder if, and who, we will get in as cover/replacements.

It seems to be common across many clubs (and the NFL teams for those who watch that). I wonder if the lack of proper pre-season has affected it; and maybe clubs over-training players too quickly to catch up

It seems to be common across many clubs (and the NFL teams for those who watch that). I wonder if the lack of proper pre-season has affected it; and maybe clubs over-training players too quickly to catch up
Last Season we played 5 Tuesday Night Matches In League One, This Season, we will play 12, That was one of my concerns about how fixture congestion is going to affect Gillingham with a smaller squad in a condensed season.

I think it is very unlikely that Evans has done anything different training wise. But the lockdown could well have left players less fit that normally the case .That is probably true of a lot of people not just footballers. Broken legs a that sort of injury is in part down to luck .But with a experienced manager I think the likelihood is that our bulk of injuries is in part down to the lockdown the volume of games with little hope of rotation. Remember a lot of these players are out of under 23 and reserve games which at most are probably once a week.

Last Season we played 5 Tuesday Night Matches In League One, This Season, we will play 12, That was one of my concerns about how fixture congestion is going to affect Gillingham with a smaller squad in a condensed season.
Especially as we are fated not to win any of the home games it seems.

Us and Liverpool cursing our luck with so many injuries. There the comparison ends sadly.
Until the kop was built in 1906 we might have had a similar capacity. We were also both founded in the early 1890s.i would guess we have played a similar number of competitive domestic league matches all be it at a different level.

Evans says it's the worst injury crisis he's ever known! Sickening really as we had such a positive start.
When you get a poor run like we are on I am sure there are players around the league's that go missing. Not saying that is the case but the timing of these injuries (might) point to someone making more of a injury than is necessary. When you get a run of poor results you sort the men from the boys. It was great that players like Akindie stepped up v Ipswich.

When you get a poor run like we are on I am sure there are players around the league's that go missing. Not saying that is the case but the timing of these injuries (might) point to someone making more of a injury than is necessary. When you get a run of poor results you sort the men from the boys. It was great that players like Akindie stepped up v Ipswich.

That can be true (players hiding behind injuries).

But you wouldn’t be out for a season (O’Keefe and now Mellis) for that reason. And Dempsey was out from first game when we were going well. Not sure about Jacko (out for a month now), but he doesn’t come across as the sort who would “go missing” in a crisis.

Only player we don’t know about is Willock. But he’s been out more than in even last season when we were going well. Whether he just can’t cut it physically at L1 we won’t know until he plays a good run of games.

That can be true (players hiding behind injuries).

But you wouldn’t be out for a season (O’Keefe and now Mellis) for that reason. And Dempsey was out from first game when we were going well. Not sure about Jacko (out for a month now), but he doesn’t come across as the sort who would “go missing” in a crisis.

Only player we don’t know about is Willock. But he’s been out more than in even last season when we were going well. Whether he just can’t cut it physically at L1 we won’t know until he plays a good run of games.
Probably agree with that the problem is we can't afford one player now not producing. That's why I personally think Akindie probably should start against Sunderland. Dominic Samuel has been disappointing of late. Akindie has not really done anything much but Tuesday he really seemed up for it .I feel those players that are should be first on the team sheet.

I would try Graham and Oliver up front with Coyle./Willock given a chance in midfield, Akinde and Samuel on the bench.