Mel Morris | Page 2 | Vital Football

Mel Morris

In that case, why bring him as the manager? It was always going to end in tears and MM should have seen that.
I don’t think anyone is denying it was a mistake...but that’s with the benefit of hindsight. It could equally have been a case of him doing another Leicester.
All appointments are risks...even Clough (Snr) had his flaws and complexities.

In that case, why bring him as the manager? It was always going to end in tears and MM should have seen that.

Yes I agree on that one, poor judgement but was there any better at the time. I had always had my doubts about Pearson and didn't want him at the club. Mel has dropped a few clangers if he is solely responsible for bringing in the likes of Pearson and bringing back McClaren, but was he? The fact they didn't work out maybe down to Morris but you can't lambast the guy for all the hard work and money he has put into the club to get it into the position it is in.

Regarding the Clement appointment, despite his coaching record, he had never managed a club so MM couldn't know what his style of play was. Therefore if Clement, at his interview, agreed to play the Derby way, then technically he was in breach of his contract when he decided to play his negative way.

If you hired a chef for a vegetarian restaurant and he only cooked steaks, you would sack him.

Bloomer I am not lambasting Morris for the money he has put into the club, its just his ownership/management skills I have questioned, particularly in the first couple of years since he took control. He seems to have quietened down a bit of late, which I am pleased to see.

Regarding the Clement appointment, despite his coaching record, he had never managed a club so MM couldn't know what his style of play was. Therefore if Clement, at his interview, agreed to play the Derby way, then technically he was in breach of his contract when he decided to play his negative way.

If you hired a chef for a vegetarian restaurant and he only cooked steaks, you would sack him.

Let’s face it...Mel’s ‘Derby way’ comment was one of his silliest, but that’s all it was...one ill thought out sentence uttered by someone not used to being in the media spotlight.
What is ‘the Derby way’? Does anybody know what he meant?
I’d suggest not even the longest standing most diehard of fans could explain ‘the Derby way’ but most of us, including MM, would settle for a consistent and committed winning team.
So, not Mel’s finest moment and a sentence he’s probably come to regret...but that’s all it was...a single silly sentence from about three years ago...no cause for endless ridicule.

I think what he meant was that he wanted to continue to play in the style that SM had brought to the club which pleasing on the eye and almost successful. It's a terminology over used in football. It is as if a club had never played in any other way.

Bloomer I am not lambasting Morris for the money he has put into the club, its just his ownership/management skills I have questioned, particularly in the first couple of years since he took control. He seems to have quietened down a bit of late, which I am pleased to see.
All owner/chairman make mistake Hulls owner wanted change their name to Hull Tigers Cardiffs owner even change them from blue to red even though they had been The Bluebirds all their history Poor Blackpool fans they have been through he'll for years because of their owners Just grateful we have Mel and not a Maxwell

[moQUOTE="Ram59, post: 1186699, member: 4217"]I think what he meant was that he wanted to continue to play in the style that SM had brought to the club which pleasing on the eye and almost successful. It's a terminology over used in football. It is as if a club had never played in any other way.[/QUOTE]

Most sensible explanation yet, but still hardly ‘the Derby Way’.
If Maxwell had stuck around and not sunk without trace, we’d probably have merged with Forest and be playing in red and white hoops under the name Forest County Rapids or some such nonsense.

Obviously you’re entitled to your opinions Adi, but, out of interest, which ‘terrible decisions’ would you attribute to Morris.

"
Mac 1 Sack because of talking to another club
Clement sacked for non footballing reasons fact
Pearson sacked because of player power
Mac2 terrible mistake sacked for only winning 3 games in fifteen Wassall always a stop gap till end of season "

This is a good start. Add interference into team matters (ie dressing room dress downs), and signing off some terrible transfers. The undiscussable allegations.

I'm not against the bloke, and am happy with how things stand for now, but don't see him as the lord and saviour that many do. Take away "local", and he's the same as the rest: well-made businessmen with financial commitment to the club and it's associated interests, all capable of cocking things up.

"
Mac 1 Sack because of talking to another club
Clement sacked for non footballing reasons fact
Pearson sacked because of player power
Mac2 terrible mistake sacked for only winning 3 games in fifteen Wassall always a stop gap till end of season "

This is a good start. Add interference into team matters (ie dressing room dress downs), and signing off some terrible transfers. The undiscussable allegations.

I'm not against the bloke, and am happy with how things stand for now, but don't see him as the lord and saviour that many do. Take away "local", and he's the same as the rest: well-made businessmen with financial commitment to the club and it's associated interests, all capable of cocking things up.
Isn’t that the point though? He’s made some mistakes, but he’s less than three years into the role.
Think mista’s point is that Mac 2 is the only appointment he’s really to blame for.
As regards signings...yep there’s been some bad ones and as you say, we can’t discuss all the possible complexities involved in that, but I doubt MM selected them.
Can’t think of a ‘dressing room dress down’ other than at Hartlepool and, if memory serves, that was early 2016.
Think a sense of proportion is called for. Mistakes? Fair comment. ‘Terrible decisions’? Seems a bit harsh.

Its easy to be critical, the appointment of managers, the signing of players can all in hind sight be viewed as a mistake but for fans to slaughter the guy who has used his own money to buy and invest in the club is just typical of supporters IMO.

I am happy with everything he has done? No, but the guy deserves credit for what he has done and what he is trying to achieve for Derby.

Absolutely right Real Swaley. Also, judging by this thread and the comments on FM, the hard core moaners and doom mongering fault finders represent only a very small minority anyway.

Last edited:

Wasn't having a go at you personally OTR :sorry:, Just those who are calling for Morris's head after he has put in a lot of his own cash. There are many different reasons for our slump (of sorts) but blaming Morris will not sort it, in fact it will make it a damn site harder, if he refuses to put in any more of his hard earned. You only have to look at Florest to name just one :tophat:

MM can't win really. Some people moan that he interfers too much then others complain when he doesn't stop his manager buying various players. If he had not allowed the transfers of Butterfield and Johnson how many people would have criticised him for not backing the manager, who knows more about football than him?

Fortunately, running a football club is not an exact science, otherwise it would be boring.

Latest Rams News