Medium size SUV advice | Page 3 | Vital Football

Medium size SUV advice

I have had a VW Tiguan SE 2lt diesel for the last 18 months. Got everything I need, and like it. Probably run it to the end of its useful life

We've owned a 2015 Nissan X-Trail for a while now (Qashqai bigger brother) and loved it. Bigger engined here in Oz (2.5 petrol Auto) but everything you could need in a car including switchable 4x4...

Mrs Hasty on her 2nd CRV loves it to bits.

What I would say is that they don't make bad cars anymore. Jokes about cars back in the day Ladas and Skodas for example don't exist. Skodas are lovely cars now and probably better than their parent company VW. All that said I do not believe that you can beat the Japanese cars all manufacturers, I haven't looked but my guess is that for 20 years they have dominated the most reliable car surveys. I'll go back to a Japanese car next time but what do you buy diesel (don't think so they want them off the road), petrol (not really efficient), hibrid (what's the point not that efficient and two engines to support?) or electric (too expensive and unproven) --- thoughts?

Why do Skodas have heated rear windows? To keep your hands warm when you are pushing them :-)

I agree Hasty, you can't beat Japanese reliability. There's been a recent influx of Chinese cars here too; LDV, MG, Haval, Great Wall etc but too early to comment about reliability and after market support.

I've made a real effort to avoid Chinese goods wherever possible. Their production is unethical and definitely not green. Also I do not want to support an aggressive belligerent bully

I agree Hasty, you can't beat Japanese reliability. There's been a recent influx of Chinese cars here too; LDV, MG, Haval, Great Wall etc but too early to comment about reliability and after market support.
The only fault with Honda at the moment is spares…..A driving instructor ran into my hybrid Jazz when my son was driving I was a front passenger in January not got it back yet.

Qashqai / Sportage are fully specced out cars and provide excellent value.
The older you get the easier you find SUVs to get in and out of😁.
Joking aside I have found the additiinal on the road height giving me a much more sense of safety in wet weather/ onbthe motorway.
We opted for a medium sized deisel SUV - the first automatic car I have driven in 40yrs + of motoring and can't ever see myself buying a manual car again.

I’m absolutely over the moon with the car so far and as you say the spec is brilliant. I thought I’d miss my BMW but I absolutely do not. Most difficult was adjusting back to a petrol after a diesel for nearly 4 years, stalled a couple of times in the first days but I’ve addressed that now.

I have mild arthritis in one of my knees and it can get stiff so I can completely agree with the getting in and out comment this is a lot better as I did struggle with my old car when my knee was bad getting in and out.