If you could choose one or the other:

• Yanic

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • McMannaman

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
Why we looking at a player that as played about 38 games since he left us could not get into a Sunderland side that was crap all season could never do 90 mins apart from one game

Why we looking at a player that as played about 38 games since he left us could not get into a Sunderland side that was crap all season could never do 90 mins apart from one game

Come on then. Who should we go for? You slag the club off for looking at lower league players with no championship experience. You slag them off for looking at players who know the league. Give us some names of who we should be signing

Come on then. Who should we go for? You slag the club off for looking at lower league players with no championship experience. You slag them off for looking at players who know the league. Give us some names of who we should be signing
would like to see us sign some players on the up not ones on the way down LOPES looks a good signing But must be better players around than Gibson Perch Wallace

It's simple - we aren't signing him because he under performed at other clubs - we are signing him because we beleive that he has ability (we know first hand) and believe we can get that out of him.

No one on here can say with a strait face that when Callum is on form that he isn't a top player, the idea is we believe try and rehabilitate him back to that best and reap the rewards. If he had been performing to his best then he would be playing at a top Prem club and we'd never have a chance of getting him ,but for whatever reason he's not - so if a club who can work out how to get him back on track will have a player much better than this level. Maybe it's not possible and he's a has been and in 12 months time we'll say it was a mistake - but maybe Cook is right and there is still a top player in there just waiting to be rediscovered by the right manager. If every club throught the same and wrote off every player who'd had a poor few years plenty of players would've been thrown away that went on to be assets at other clubs.

We are the only club that has ever gotten it out of him, so if anyone knows what it takes to get Callum going again it's most likely us. We are the only club that got anything out of Yanic, Powell and plenty of others, so it's hardly a new concept we've got form for turning around players and Cook clearly fancies himself to do the same with Callum. Let him try and if it doesn't work then it's only a loan we aren't tied to him for 3 years, the potential reward of this gamble are massive. There are risks too - it's a gamble - but it's not a bad gamble when the rewards are potentially so big. I completely understand the doubts, but whatever we think it appears that it's happening, so why not park the resevations and try and be positive and hopeful at least until we've seen Callum play a few games before we get too down on the deal. If he's rubbish then fair enough, but why not afford ourselves a little bit of optimism in the meantime?

Last edited:
I think there's a heart and head situation with Callum.

Yes he was excellent for us in that cup run and will forever be remembered fondly, no doubt about that. However there is no denying his career has gone down the toilet since leaving us. He is injury prone, has fitness issues and even when fit isnt what you classify as a regular. He was in a team last season that went down and the reality is that we are one that will likely be in a relegation fight this time around. We went for nostalgia last time around and brought back Jordi, which sadly proved a mistake. This move, like many others we've made in recent years at this level, will also be a mistake.

You really are a glass half empty person MiW. I doubt you ever have a good thing to say about any player we sign. I know that you will think this is me having a pop, however if you look back at your recent posts I can see no other conclusion. Surely you can give the benefit of the doubt sometimes. There have been players over the years that have let us down and there are also others that have been revelations, David Perkins for instance and the much maligned Emile Heskey. Both came with damaged reputations and bucked the trend. I know that players like Holt were also brought in and proved to be the other side of the coin but cant we wait until they have played a game or two before we write them off. I am sure you are not as pessimistic as you come across as and as a supporter you want the best for the club, so why not wait and see how a player fits into Cooks plans before making negative comments about them.

If you look what we need in the team, we are crying out for a player that can hurt teams. Yanic would have offered that with his pace and directness. Having said that, he wasnt great in tight games.

Callum would offer that with his tricks and intensity if he's on his game.

Although very different players, they are similar in some respects. Both are a complete handful when on their games but look really bad when they are not. Even if Callum doesnt always start, I can see him being used like Colclough to provide that spark to get a goal when we are perhaps on top but can't break teams down.

It's called pragmatism TB. The club cannot afford emotions to rule their head. His record and stats over the last 4 years do not make for great reading. If he hadn't once played for us and supporters weren't getting misty eyed then we wouldn't be looking at him.

I try to look at things objectively, whereas many, including lots on here, refuse to acknowledge issues and would rather 'keep the faith'. There are many examples I could cite and invariably I'm correct.

It's called pragmatism TB. The club cannot afford emotions to rule their head. His record and stats over the last 4 years do not make for great reading. If he hadn't once played for us and supporters weren't getting misty eyed then we wouldn't be looking at him.

I try to look at things objectively, whereas many, including lots on here, refuse to acknowledge issues and would rather 'keep the faith'. There are many examples I could cite and invariably I'm correct.
correct

Cook will get the best out of him. Big game player and we’ve got a lot of big games next year. Bring it on!

The main problem Callum will face is the same problem Yanic had. We've had a habit in the past of treating our pacey and tricky winger as our go to move, even when we've had talent in other areas. Once this is quickly discovered and nullified then we have run out of ideas. I expect Cook to be much smarter than that, but Callum won't pull up trees on his own

It's called pragmatism TB. The club cannot afford emotions to rule their head. His record and stats over the last 4 years do not make for great reading. If he hadn't once played for us and supporters weren't getting misty eyed then we wouldn't be looking at him
I try to look at things objectively, whereas many, including lots on here, refuse to acknowledge issues and would rather 'keep the faith'. ....................

Don't disagree with most of this ........

...........There are many examples I could cite and invariably I'm correct.

........but I snorted my coffee reading that !

1 year deal ........what's to lose? If Cookie fancies he can get the lad going, let's give em both the chance.

The main problem Callum will face is the same problem Yanic had. We've had a habit in the past of treating our pacey and tricky winger as our go to move, even when we've had talent in other areas. Once this is quickly discovered and nullified then we have run out of ideas. I expect Cook to be much smarter than that, but Callum won't pull up trees on his own
Not an issue with Nick Powell in the team. We now have two match winners in attacking midfield rather than one.

I think that there is bound to be some emotion about bringing him back to some, but there is also a sense of pragmatism - this is a talented player who if we can reinvigorate is better than any possible player we could hope to sign. It's a judgement call - personally nostalgia has nothing to do with it i think bringing McManaman back is a good gamble as the potential reward is worth the risk and i fancy Cook to get the best out of him based on what he managed to get out of Powell. You've got every right to disagree, and maybe you'll be right in the end but you seem to be completely dismissing the possibility that Cook and the clubs gamble could pay off and any hope anyone has soley down to nostaligia - and i don't think there's any reason to be so defeatist when it could go either way.

Is anyone really refusing to acknowledge the risks or issues - i don't think a single person is saying we don't need to sign anyone else, that the takeover not being complet isn't having any impact, that our 3 trialists are the answers to all of our prayers or that Callum is a guarenteed success. We all see thing differently, some are naturally more postive / negative / forgiving / critical and there's nothing wrong with that. But we are not living through a disaster and there is plenty of things to be hopeful about. I don't think anyone refusing to jump to the worst conclusions or having a sense of optimism about anything is them burying their heads in the sand. I'd say where we are right now as a club you could easily be as positive and excited about our prospects or negative and fearful depending on what you choose to focus on and what assumptions or predictons you want to make - the reality is probably somewhere in the middle is probably about fair.

And regarding keep the faith in Cook - absolutely - what has he done so far for us to doubt him? Maybe he'll do loads of terrible calls this season and he'll lose that faith and we'll all change our minds about him - but as of right now he's done a lot more right than wrong and you've got to give him the benefit of the doubt based on his track record surely. Let's not lose faith in the best manager we've had in a very long time based on the prediction his decisions will be bad - let's see how the play how and then re-evaluate our trust if needed - but for now - why not have a little faith?

I think it shows our limitations, signings wise.

Personally, I wouldn't have touched him with a bargepole. I'd sooner us bring Martyn Waghorn back.