Votes: 21 47.7%
  • McMannaman

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Neither

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters

king_dezeeuw06

Vital Champions League
With all of the rumours and debate going about for a bit of fun let's if there is any concensus. If you had the ability to pick either Callum McMannaman or Yanic Wildschut coming back on loan (or neither) - which would you choose.

Yanic - During his entire career McManaman has had one brief purple patch under Martinez in 2013.
Other than that he's either struggled to break into a side, been injured, lacked fitness or flattered to deceive - even in the Cup Final where he tore their left back a new one, his end product was woeful

Yanic can blow hot & cold but has more of an end product for me

Yanic for me too. I was dissapointed the way he handed in the transfer request and left the club and he could blow hot and cold. However on his day he is a match winner, he got Caldwell out of jail with his goals and performances in second half of 15/16 League One season. Walsall away a prome example that season and crucially his pace would give us the ability to develop a counter attacking tactical style in the off season.

Some games next season we are going to lose the possession battle and be under the cosh. So developing a plan B counter attacking style away from home is crucial imo.

McManamman i would also be happy with taking back but not so much as Yanic imo. Yanic's inconistencies are known but McManamman also was a very hit and miss player and sometimes you could see when he played for us in first relegation championship season that his attitude was not there at times.

Plus even though Yanic was only a sub at Cardiff on loan last season he did more than McManamman who was part of a relegated side. Not entirely his sole fault of course but proof for me that Yanic is better of two players.

Plus i want to see what Yanic can do under Cook. He was our best player at times under an average (Caldwell) and a diabolical (Joyce) manager. So under a higher calibre of manager like Cook i reckon he would thrive and Cook could even help iron out the inconsistencies in his game and make him even better than he was before.

On natural talent - McManaman all day long.

On what we need in the Championship - Wildschut.

That said the big unknown is what Cook could get out of McManaman. We’d also have a better chance of signing him permanently if the loan goes well.

I used to love watching Wildschut, but would I want him back, well the jury is out on that one. The way we play at present is as a team and I don't see Yanic as a team player. He was great to see going forward but his final ball was lacking and he was often greedy, we need our wingers to get the ball into the box and to find team mates and no matter how exciting he is he very rarely did this.

McManaman had the talent and the speed to use it but I wonder about his mental state given his last couple of seasons. Can he pick himself up after his fall from grace and get back to being the player he was, somehow I doubt it.

For me then both of them would be a risk to bring home. Is the risk worth taking? Only Paul Cook can answer that.

Never go back is what I think, so it’s neither of them for me. Callum despite being older and more experienced is still inconsistent, and Yanic hasn’t set the world alight since he left us.

DeZeeuw and Powell didn't do so bad after they came back. So I'd never be against anyone coming back on the principle if they are the right fit.

Neither were any good last season. Why should they be any better next season?

The very nature of transfers in football is players perform differently under different managers at different clubs.

If we ruled out signing any player who had a bad previous season we'd not have signed Zog, Byrne, Burn, Grigg, Jacobs, Perks, Powell, etc.

What players do elsewhere is irrelevent it's what you're manager believes they could do for you that matters. We know Callum and Yanic are talented but for whatever reason they haven't shown it since they left, if Cook thinks he knows can correct that - then sounds good to me.

They both failed at different clubs. Not good enough. They would be playing against the same championship defenders who they couldn't get by last season. As my grandad used to say... 'never go back!'

What KDZ says is true Notts. Players are all different and need managers to understand what is needed to get the best out of them. Some players need to feel wanted, some need a kick up the arse and the manager has to make a judgement call as to how he treats the player. This has an effect on the way they play. There is also the point that certain players fit into a system better than others, some adapt some cant and move on.
As my grandad used to say... " don't judge a book by the cover".