McKenzie to Bolton? | Page 2 | Vital Football

McKenzie to Bolton?

Some contracts do have extension clauses WX.
It still needs both sides to agree it’s implementation.

If it was that mutual, there would be no point to such a clause, would there? Apart from perhaps like an alarm clock to remind both club and player.

Otherwise, just sign a new mutually agreeable contract when the other one is coming to an end.

In the EPL, you often read about a club exercising their "option" to extend a player's contract, either because they are playing well or to protect their value. That always sounds as if the club has the final say under the terms.

If it was that mutual, there would be no point to such a clause, would there? Apart from perhaps like an alarm clock to remind both club and player.

Otherwise, just sign a new mutually agreeable contract when the other one is coming to an end.

In the EPL, you often read about a club exercising their "option" to extend a player's contract, either because they are playing well or to protect their value. That always sounds as if the club has the final say under the terms.
This is the type of extension i mean - purely at the clubs decision.

It still works both ways.
If the player doesn't want the extension, he can't to made to stay.
They are not slaves.
The usual clause is something like if X amount of games are played, then the extension is triggered but the player still needs to agree to want it.
It's usually added for players with a dodgy injury record.

The player has to sign the contract in the first place.
As I player would you sign a contract that basically says if you are injured or crap we can et you go after a year but if you do brilliantly we can make you stay longer even if you don’t want to?
Don’t think I would
only players that are desperate for any sort of contract would, and there’s normally a reason why they are desperate