McKenzie to Bolton? | Vital Football

McKenzie to Bolton?

OneSirKeefy

Vital Football Hero
I hear Robbie McKenzie has signed for Bolton.

I think we are due compo there as well aren’t we?

Very decent move for Robbie if it’s true. I think Bolton are expected to challenge around the top next season aren’t they?

Shame Robbie didn't stay maybe he would have done had we stayed up.
Still with his Tucker's and possibly Chambers (although I am starting to wonder)As I know Harris talking about Akehurst having done a lot of gym work .If that was part of the contract perhaps he didn't fancy it? Seems odd players of that age not signing a contract only time will tell if it is a step up down or sideways in that case.

Chambers does seem an odd one, he's made a couple of appearances and due to his age we would want some compensation. Who is going to pay, probably a small amount, for a player with so few first team appearances. I wonder if his agent has told him he can get him a good deal elsewhere.

Chambers does seem an odd one, he's made a couple of appearances and due to his age we would want some compensation. Who is going to pay, probably a small amount, for a player with so few first team appearances. I wonder if his agent has told him he can get him a good deal elsewhere.
Only get compensation if he goes to a football league club.
If he joins National League or lower, then no compo.
Many National League teams now pay football league wages.
I’d imagine that his offer from Gills was an improvement but still pretty low.
Maybe he believes in himself and thinks he can do better.

Unless a bigger club have asked to take him on trial?
It would then make sense for Harris to say nothing at all on the subject until he knows one way or the other.

Very good point a non league side could in some cases offer more money and perhaps regular appearances.

Harris was very complimentary about Chambers last season and made a point of including him and playing him. It sounded at the time as if he was saying all the right things to keep him on board. Perhaps he is a bigger talent than we realise and clubs and his agent have seen an opportunity. I'd be very surprised if he goes lower but I have been very surprised before.

I have genuinely never heard of Chambers and had to Google to see who he was (and the name and pic still didn't ring any bells). Good luck to the lad, if he thinks he can do better than GFC, but given the lack if impression he's made, he'll need it.

Back to the McKenzie to Bolton thing. A day or so ago, a few posters on various forums said that it was announced on the radio he had signed with them. That’s why I posted.

But I can find nothing online about it actually happening. Maybe it hasn’t 🤷‍♂️

Was it simply a rumour that someone misheard? Or maybe it’ll be announced on July 1 like all other transfers.

Either way, he's a definite loss to the squad.

Why don't the club have clauses in contracts saying "we can extend the deal by a year" or such like?

Some contracts do have extension clauses WX.
It still needs both sides to agree it’s implementation.
At the end of the day, if the player wants to move on, little can be done.
How many people on here have never changed jobs?
It’s just the same.

It’s just the same.
Correct.

Somebody can be happy in their job, but get headhunted or apply for a different one “just to see what’s about”

If/when you hand your notice in then your current employer has to make a decision whether to try and keep you or let you leave. And it’s not always just about the monthly take home, so many other things can sway a decision. Location, future earning potential, future prospects, maybe a new opportunity is with an old manager or team you really thrived with and enjoyed working with.

It’s just the same.
I see what you're saying.

When a player signs for us as a "free" i assume thier options were not that great.

Not being rude about GFC but in the last fews years that must be the case for free transfers.

So why not protect yourself (GFC) by getting the club's (not the player's) one year extension option inserted?

The player's options were not that great if they came to GFC i feel because our financial packages wont blow anybody out of the water.

All just a feeling as we never know what players are being offered by anybody.

This is more important with younger players as they are more likley to have the potential to improve and offer a good transfer fee - compared to the older players.

I see what you're saying.

When a player signs for us as a "free" i assume thier options were not that great.

Not being rude about GFC but in the last fews years that must be the case for free transfers.

So why not protect yourself (GFC) by getting the club's (not the player's) one year extension option inserted?

The player's options were not that great if they came to GFC i feel because our financial packages wont blow anybody out of the water.

All just a feeling as we never know what players are being offered by anybody.

This is more important with younger players as they are more likley to have the potential to improve and offer a good transfer fee - compared to the older players.
Some players come to Gills knowing they are more likely to get game time so they can show what they do and move somewhere that pays better. Hence why they sign 1/2 year deals and wouldn't want to have their arm pulled into more.

Would you start a new job and let them have a clause they can trigger that forces your notice period to be 1 year?