McCanns | Vital Football

McCanns

Vambogills

Vital Football Hero
Looks like a really positive lead in the hunt for whoever abducted Madeline all those years ago. Great work from the police, never letting go of the case.
I do hope this is correct and gives them some sort of closure. They have had to suffer years of the foulest abuse from some who either said they did it themselves or it was their own fault she was taken.

I have always thought the McCann’s were responsible! If there is a positive outcome eventually I will be the first to hold my hands up and apologise!

Looks like a really positive lead in the hunt for whoever abducted Madeline all those years ago. Great work from the police, never letting go of the case.
I do hope this is correct and gives them some sort of closure. They have had to suffer years of the foulest abuse from some who either said they did it themselves or it was their own fault she was taken.

Yes really hope the truth is finally close. Its been a huge story for decades now. It would be amazing to find a conclusion one way or another. Think its a bit early to confirm either way if it will actually result in any charges brought, but it sounds like the most positive piece for quite some time in the story.

Apparently more news coming out from a german press conference at noon today.

Also does beg the question as to why its taken so long to follow this line of enquiry. Im no expert in investigation, my experience comes solely from watching hunted 🤣🤣, but I'd have thought he'd be on one of the first lists of potential suspects available. Changed plates on a car the next day. Was on mobile data in the area in the immediate time of the offence, was a known burglar in the area, and has had numerous sex offence convictions also. So youd have thought theyd have a program that linked the 4 pieces of information together and put him high up the list of people to speak to. 13 years its taken!

Ive watched the documentary series which was really interesting. I personally came out of that in the belief the parents had no involvement in her disappearance other than stupidly leaving them unattended at such a young age, my impression was that it was just unsolvable/a police bungle. It always surprised me that some people were so sure it was the parents, as given the evidence publicly available its a huge conspiracy theory based on pretty tenuous logic. They may indeed be guilty, but certainly i dont think the evidence abailable currently gives reason for people to be so sure of it as some seem to be.

Obviously the parents will never get away from people saying they shouldnt have left them alone in the first place (which is a fair point that will always be valid), but they may at least shut up the people who actually think they did it and are covering it up. That will be significant if something does come from this, but obviously not as significant as finally getting some closure on the matter.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
IIRC someone came forward with the information once he had been banged up. They were apparently afraid to come forward before as they were scared of recriminations whilst he was still about. Can't remember where I read or heard that though.

IIRC someone came forward with the information once he had been banged up. They were apparently afraid to come forward before as they were scared of recriminations whilst he was still about. Can't remember where I read or heard that though.

Situation appears promising, hopefully, if the German is the culprit, he will, at least, have some decency and reveal what happened. A man in a camper van in a holiday resort area sounds credible as a suspect scenario.

Situation appears promising, hopefully, if the German is the culprit, he will, at least, have some decency and reveal what happened. A man in a camper van in a holiday resort area sounds credible as a suspect scenario.
Yeah, sounds like a great suspect. Changing the registered keeper name on his jag the day after the abduction sounds very suss, if anything may attract attention rather than deflect it as was probably intended. Would love to see the SOCO results from that examination.
They always make one mistake 😉

Wonder if he was on the Portuguese investigators` radar ! "Stranger" cases are rarely straight forward to investigate, especially across international borders and especially when the suspect is a nomad. Really hope that this brings closure for the McCanns, one way or another - they were put through hell by the media.

Yeah, sounds like a great suspect. Changing the registered keeper name on his jag the day after the abduction sounds very suss, if anything may attract attention rather than deflect it as was probably intended. Would love to see the SOCO results from that examination.
Well the authorities didnt seem to pick up on it for 13 years so it wasnt that silly!

Guessing, but he may have changed the details held in Germany - so unlikely to be picked up by the Portuguese, unless he was already on their radar. It`ll all come out in the wash - it`s much easier in retrospect !

Hope we don't have to waste any more public money on this case. Any case involving a working class kid going missing in the same circumstances would have been dumped long ago. Obviously hope they get the culprit and don't think the McCanns did it. Don't blame them for their campaign as any parent would try the same.

Agree with poster above that they were negligent.

Still terrible for them and obviously feel sorry for them. Hope it is finally solved and they get closure.

Well the authorities didnt seem to pick up on it for 13 years so it wasnt that silly!
On it's own it wouldn't attract attention, how many vehicles would have changed owner on any given day? This case was always going to hinge on a tip off from the public as so much evidence would have been lost due to the ineptitude of the Portuguese police.
Two cadaver dogs detected 13 traces in the flat as well as in the car that was hired by the McCanns weeks after Maddie went missing but this was dismissed as "inconclusive" and never followed up, even when they became formal suspects a month later .Now I'm not saying they should or should not have been suspected but to ignore such a potentially good piece of evidence is foolhardy to say the least.

Really feel sorry for Madeline, no child from any background deserves to be murdered/abducted or die young (from whatever cause), but I have no time for the parents, if anything they should have been done for child neglect. As stated earlier, had this been a working class child the story would have died years ago.

The parents action/inaction have left them years of remorse, which is disproportionate to the original act of leaving their children alone, but this was an unseen/unintended consequence of their actions.

Hope that the abductor/killer is caught, not just in this case but all cases as they do not deserve freedom. However, the amount of time,money and media exposure given to this particular case does seem disproportionate.

Really feel sorry for Madeline, no child from any background deserves to be murdered/abducted or die young (from whatever cause), but I have no time for the parents, if anything they should have been done for child neglect. As stated earlier, had this been a working class child the story would have died years ago.

The parents action/inaction have left them years of remorse, which is disproportionate to the original act of leaving their children alone, but this was an unseen/unintended consequence of their actions.

Hope that the abductor/killer is caught, not just in this case but all cases as they do not deserve freedom. However, the amount of time,money and media exposure given to this particular case does seem disproportionate.

Have to remember, Rother, that whoever is responsible for the abduction and probable murder of Madeline, is highly likely to have committed similar crimes before and/or since the Praia de Luz incident. I doubt that a child killer takes into account the social standing of their victims. It`s an especially abhorrent type crime and the investigators would have been thinking outside the box and mindful of other possible victims.

Agree, but the media does, therefore the high profile. Working class kid, who's parents do not have the time/money ability to raise the profile, the incident soon blows over.

On it's own it wouldn't attract attention, how many vehicles would have changed owner on any given day? This case was always going to hinge on a tip off from the public as so much evidence would have been lost due to the ineptitude of the Portuguese police.
Two cadaver dogs detected 13 traces in the flat as well as in the car that was hired by the McCanns weeks after Maddie went missing but this was dismissed as "inconclusive" and never followed up, even when they became formal suspects a month later .Now I'm not saying they should or should not have been suspected but to ignore such a potentially good piece of evidence is foolhardy to say the least.
Of course it wouldnt be interesting or useful on its own. But put together with all of the other facts, then its very interesting and useful. There must have been some computer programme or even a manual check that is putting these things together trying to find these links. Surely they compare all the people who were confirmed as in the area, as proven by phone records (surely thats one of the first pieces of investigation theyd look for), along with then things like car rentals, or cars being sold or number plates changing. Then on that list of people in the area check if each one has any criminal convictions, particularly of a child abuse nature. Thats the first thing id do.

At the last bank i was at we implemented a system called Quantexa global social network analytics. Ultimately it creates links between lists of customers / accounts / transactions with the sole purpose of creating the links and identifying financial crime (mostly money laundering).

Im no police investigator, but surely this is one of the first things these people look at.

I think the police press release said that he was a known pedophile and was registered. He left the registered abode and went missing for a year, they assume he was living in the camper van.

Of course it wouldnt be interesting or useful on its own. But put together with all of the other facts, then its very interesting and useful. There must have been some computer programme or even a manual check that is putting these things together trying to find these links. Surely they compare all the people who were confirmed as in the area, as proven by phone records (surely thats one of the first pieces of investigation theyd look for), along with then things like car rentals, or cars being sold or number plates changing. Then on that list of people in the area check if each one has any criminal convictions, particularly of a child abuse nature. Thats the first thing id do.

At the last bank i was at we implemented a system called Quantexa global social network analytics. Ultimately it creates links between lists of customers / accounts / transactions with the sole purpose of creating the links and identifying financial crime (mostly money laundering).

Im no police investigator, but surely this is one of the first things these people look at.

Good stuff, perhaps you should phone all this in to the Incident room - they might not have considered all the points you raise.

Agree, but the media does, therefore the high profile. Working class kid, who's parents do not have the time/money ability to raise the profile, the incident soon blows over.
Add to that my suspicion that working class parents would have received more grief about being negligent than the nice, professional McCanns.

Does anyone seriously think some working class kid or black kid would have had so much public money spent on them?
I reiterate that I don't blame the McCanns for doing all they can to keep the investigation going.