McCabe the Rat...............And Club Statement | Page 3 | Vital Football

McCabe the Rat...............And Club Statement

Promoted once as sole owner, relegated twice as sole owner and the longest ever period in the 3rd division for SUFC.

You can't just cherry pick parts of the reign Chips.
So he didn't contribute at all then? You seem to want to cherry pick but it's given both of us something to do so thank you Mr McCabe :)

So he didn't contribute at all then? You seem to want to cherry pick but it's given both of us something to do so thank you Mr McCabe :)
Jeeezzz Chippy aint tha worked it out yet that owd TT's totally obsessed wi Mr McCabe? :yes: Hope everyone's still ok(Health wise) UTMPB

Last edited:
Come on Chips, you picked 3 seasons including joint ownership. I picked 3 which were all as sole owner and 6 in div 3 so I think that's more representative of his time.

In my eyes there's nowt much to thank him for. After all's said and done the penny pinching, strapped for cash years were all down to him trying to recoup his own mistakes.

As you say though he's given us a bit to talk about in these straitened times although I doubt anyone, even his current supporters ( who are drifting away in droves) will have a good word for him if his reneging on the deal struck holds back SUFC for years again.( dog in a manger attitude)

We've all seen the benefit of the right man at the football helm and he could take us places we've not dared to dream about before but, once again, the sceptre at the feast could scupper that with his new shenanigans.

Jeeezzz Chippy aint tha worked it out yet that owd TT's totally obsessed wi Mr McCabe? :yes: Hope everyone's still ok(Health wise) UTMPB
I do know Rod but I've got nothing better to do and it's only a little disagreement
not like it's real world mate.

We are all Blades and we are all entitled to our views on the world.:yes:

All Blades out there (and their loved ones) - keep safe

Last edited:
Come on Chips, you picked 3 seasons including joint ownership. I picked 3 which were all as sole owner and 6 in div 3 so I think that's more representative of his time.

In my eyes there's nowt much to thank him for. After all's said and done the penny pinching, strapped for cash years were all down to him trying to recoup his own mistakes.

As you say though he's given us a bit to talk about in these straitened times although I doubt anyone, even his current supporters ( who are drifting away in droves) will have a good word for him if his reneging on the deal struck holds back SUFC for years again.( dog in a manger attitude)

We've all seen the benefit of the right man at the football helm and he could take us places we've not dared to dream about before but, once again, the sceptre at the feast could scupper that with his new shenanigans.
So TT, you don;t think we could have done a Wendy in any of those barren years?
I do and I thank him for his funding.

King Kev, imo, played it safe. We had a few moments of success, and we didn't have to cry for a saviour on the High Court Steps. There were some good times amongst the disappointments. Marks out of 10? I'd give him a C+.

King Kev, imo, played it safe. We had a few moments of success, and we didn't have to cry for a saviour on the High Court Steps. There were some good times amongst the disappointments. Marks out of 10? I'd give him a C+.
Worever his mistakes and they were plentiful he's still the one who got St Christopher back to BDBL and for that i'm very very grateful Pops.I think you're r8 he did play it safe and the 6 seasons in League dunt look good on any owners Cv,but of the dispapointin managerial appointments how many BLADES were against em when they were appointed? Robson was a piss poor appointment but after that in the League one seasons, Danny Wilson for obvious reasons aside? Cos i don't recall big outcry's against the others when they were appointed,yes owd Herby dint like Cloughie but apart from that. UTMPB

He was trying to sell us for a large part of that time Chips so either the price was too high or his job for the boy clause put people off.
Even in the 3rd div were we less saleable than Barnsley or was the price just too high?

I appreciate your praise of him for , as some see it, him keeping us going but how do you feel about him now when, after losing a High Court appeal presumably based on the agreed deal struck he's now reneging on even that?

I think we are now seeing his true colours a hue of which I ,for one, have always suspected was prevalent during his tenure- now it's emerging from the cheap coat of varnish he painted on when it suited.

You get that for spelling your name right on the exam paper FKB:LOL:

I'll remind myself every time I look at your login name Tomy...

Excellent FKB- have a double like.

You never heard the To My Tony chant then?:p

All done in the impetuous excitement of joining a thriving forum which has now dwindled to resemble the tap room of Early Doors

Last edited:

No, because we've never grossly overspent
We've never even competed similarly against our peers regarding spending, (Or investing as I prefer to call it) because that's what footballers are.....Investments.

Whatever division we've been in, even at Third Division level for six years there was always a number of clubs that could invest more on players.

McCabe has done a lot of good, we all know that and we are all grateful to him for trying, but the local businessman looking after his local club isn't going to work anymore in Sheffield, the clubs are too big regardless of what our past Chairmen have brainwashed everybody into believing.
Football has moved on from that local hero bolox.
It might work in other areas of the Country where there are some really serious money men with massive ambitions, and it might work at the smaller League One and Two clubs where survival is the only ambition, and option.

But survival and plodding on shouldn't be the only ambition at Sheffield United, and McCabe couldn't do any more than help us survive, and then convincing everybody that surviving = job well done.

It's not just McCabe, previous Chairmen dating back from year blob have had the same lack of ambition when it really counted, they talked a good game, but the facts speak for themselves, we've been outperformed over the last 60-70 years by a number of very small clubs, and EVERY mid range, mid sized club has pissed all over us.

That said I don't hate McCabe, he has been our best Chairman in the last 40 years that I can remember, but if he receives the money agreed for the properties he will have escaped without too much damage being done.

Who knows, if he could have buried the hatchet his companies might have even had a big say in future stadium development, which would have been of further benefit to him.

He was trying to sell us for a large part of that time Chips so either the price was too high or his job for the boy clause put people off.
Even in the 3rd div were we less saleable than Barnsley or was the price just too high?

I appreciate your praise of him for , as some see it, him keeping us going but how do you feel about him now when, after losing a High Court appeal presumably based on the agreed deal struck he's now reneging on even that?

I think we are now seeing his true colours a hue of which I ,for one, have always suspected was prevalent during his tenure- now it's emerging from the cheap coat of varnish he painted on when it suited.
Is he reneging or has the Prince not ensured he incuded all the property in the deal?
I'll wait and see but I would say if it was me I'd want a fair price as he handed the team over for a pittance. I'd make damn sure I made him pay the full price for the rest.

who picked wilder

Is he reneging or has the Prince not ensured he incuded all the property in the deal?
I'll wait and see but I would say if it was me I'd want a fair price as he handed the team over for a pittance. I'd make damn sure I made him pay the full price for the rest.

Wasn't the price was already decided when the court case ended ?

Simply saying pay "Fair market value" would always create a second problem as both parties could disagree on what fair market value is.

It was interesting to read that the Prince will take this back to court and exercise the "Property Call Option"

The call option would give him the option to buy at some date in the future at an already agreed price.

It's confusing because the court ruled that McCabe MUST sell and the Prince MUST buy. There are no options.

Wasn't the price was already decided when the court case ended ?

Simply saying pay "Fair market value" would always create a second problem as both parties could disagree on what fair market value is.

It was interesting to read that the Prince will take this back to court and exercise the "Property Call Option"

The call option would give him the option to buy at some date in the future at an already agreed price.

It's confusing because the court ruled that McCabe MUST sell and the Prince MUST buy. There are no options.
I don't think the property part was......that's why arbitration will help settle it IMO.