May Day n/g | Vital Football

May Day n/g

valenciagill

Vital Football Hero
UK has a bank holiday next Friday , why isn't it this coming Monday ?
I googled it and it's called 'early May holiday'.
Since when has this been happening ?

May Day looked at Easter and thought 'Bollocks to that. You move every year and no one knows what day you fall on so this year I'm doing a little shimmy up the calendar myself!'
Or some rubbish like that.

Thanks for the explanation folks , I was genuinely puzzled for a while.
May Day is a BH here in Spain , on the actual day. When the 1st falls on a Saturday or Sunday , tough !

I guess that VJ Day is more relevant to Aussies come August?

Why my dad was out there to the end as were a lot of Brits. It has just been ignored by the press for years. I asked my dad who was in the Merchant Navy where he was on VE day and he told me he was en route for the far east. he came back in 1947.

May 1st is International Workers Day, ffs!

I know everything is different this year cos of the lockdown but in normal years the 1st of May is a public holiday in most countries irrespective of whether it is a Monday or not. It's International Workers Day on the 1st so on the 1st the workers down their tools and have a holiday. It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Yet this bloody country doesn't seem to recognise or respect this fact. Instead they move the 'bank' holiday to the first Monday after the 1st. Why? Because this is less disruptive for banks and businesses!!!

I think they missed the fcking point.

May 1st is International Workers Day, ffs!

I know everything is different this year cos of the lockdown but in normal years the 1st of May is a public holiday in most countries irrespective of whether it is a Monday or not. It's International Workers Day on the 1st so on the 1st the workers down their tools and have a holiday. It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Yet this bloody country doesn't seem to recognise or respect this fact. Instead they move the 'bank' holiday to the first Monday after the 1st. Why? Because this is less disruptive for banks and businesses!!!

I think they missed the fcking point.

As i posted earlier, they did not miss the point but wanted to add an extra bank holiday. They would not have had enough votes to pass through parliament if it was linked to a ‘labour’ or workers day.