Max Sanders Signs! | Page 7 | Vital Football

Max Sanders Signs!

looking forward to seeing him - and the other two. if we brought forward our summer recruitment, these are our 'next level of the project' signings.
this fella was a bit of an unknown quantity, so i watched the highlights of quite a few of his Wimbledon games. closest recent comparison i would give is gotts. next would be morrell (minus the feisty tackling). didn't remind me of bridcutt much at all.
but those were just highlights, the games were last season, and he was playing in a struggling team. the brilliant thing about young players (as we are witnessing first hand) is that their game can be developed rapidly with top coaching.
I think highlights is probably the key part, wouldn’t get many clips of Bridcutt on our highlights reel

Agree, it would have been better to flick through a couple of full matches. shame last season’s full games are not available on iFollow, but the extended highlights give a good impression of the type of player he is. Enough to satisfy my curiosity at least. Uti.

Absolutely not this (except that he is there to deal with the rules)

The laws of football define various categories of foul. Careless fouls should not be penalised by a card. Therefore in theory you can make 100 fouls with no card.

However, persistent fouls according to the laws should result in a card.

Persistent fouls is helpfully clarified by the following words "no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes persistent".

If I was refereeing Bridcutt and he made 20 challenges 16 legal and 4 slightly careless, I would have to decide if that constituted persistent and the laws or lack of them would judge me perfectly correct to not card him. I would be taking into consideration his fair tackles and his illegal ones.

I think that's your interpretation but looking at ref forums most seem to talk about the volume of fouls in relation to fouls in a match or severity of fouls (or targeting of one player). I'm not sure you would be right to say he made a decent one beforehand so 5 isn't persistent...

Just being a pedant but does it impact what the role/position of the player is. For example would a referee subconsciously or otherwise give Bridcutt more leeway than say Johnson or Rogers.

I was really excited when we made this signing and genuinely think he has looked alright in cameos. Starting to feel like not going to happen for him though isn't it?

I was really excited when we made this signing and genuinely think he has looked alright in cameos. Starting to feel like not going to happen for him though isn't it?

Don't write him off yet Gaz. I think he's looked pretty decent in the short playing time he's had and you have to think that he is currently challenging Bridcutt for the holding role, and that's a very difficult shirt to wrestle away. I'm sure he'll get a chance to make a starting shirt his and given a run of games will be a good player for us

Could he not play alongside Bridcutt? The balance definitely hasn't been right with McGrandles not on the pitch.

I do get the feeling he might not get a proper run for us now...

Could he not play alongside Bridcutt? The balance definitely hasn't been right with McGrandles not on the pitch.

I do get the feeling he might not get a proper run for us now...
He’ll probably end up somewhere back down South next summer, having cost a hefty wage but contributed bugger all in the process.

Im sure the young lad will be pleased to know he has the backing of a loyal fan base.
Agreed, way too soon to write the lad off, in the Carabao Cup game at Shrewsbury he had a good game and showed some quality.

His appearance on the bench yesterday was his first after injury?

That's more of a concern as he's had a couple of long spells out since signing, unlucky or another Walsh?

Hopefully unlucky and if McGrandles is out for a while he might get more game time to show what he's about.

He's not been injury free and he's not had a run of games so I would say he has not had the opportunity to impress MA in either training or matches just yet.

Let's see if he can keep fit and take it from there. If his attitude is good which I am sure it will be, he deserves to be given a fair chance to be able to prove himself.

I'm not sure how anybody could be writing him off given the aforementioned circumstances just yet.

Should be a shoe-in for 90 minutes in the EFL Trophy in a fortnight, and probably in the FA Cup at the start of November. Difficult, but needs to show he's pushing for a place in these games.

Should be a shoe-in for 90 minutes in the EFL Trophy in a fortnight, and probably in the FA Cup at the start of November. Difficult, but needs to show he's pushing for a place in these games.
I agree that he needs to show that he is worth the shirt, but on the other hand he needs to be given that chance , and on the history so far I have my doubts !

One interesting thing with Sanders, I remember an analyst on Twitter basically saying of the Prem u23s his % of progressive passes was particularly great/one of the best.

I think Sorensen does that a little bit, passes like that one for the goal against Rotherham right between the lines. I can't say I've been wowed by him thus far (early days), but he definitely seems higher in the pecking order.

More generally it seemed to be a problem on Saturday picking the ball up and playing it forward and if that's Sanders' skill, would be good to eventually see that in home games even alongside Bridcutt rather than what was a very attacking midfield on Saturday (with two 8s and Bishop not really in the game).

One interesting thing with Sanders, I remember an analyst on Twitter basically saying of the Prem u23s his % of progressive passes was particularly great/one of the best.

I think Sorensen does that a little bit, passes like that one for the goal against Rotherham right between the lines. I can't say I've been wowed by him thus far (early days), but he definitely seems higher in the pecking order.

More generally it seemed to be a problem on Saturday picking the ball up and playing it forward and if that's Sanders' skill, would be good to eventually see that in home games even alongside Bridcutt rather than what was a very attacking midfield on Saturday (with two 8s and Bishop not really in the game).
He has been injured when he might have got some games and we really haven't seen much of him.

In the few games he has played, my impression is he looked like a reincarnation of Ray Wilkins playing for England. ie only playing a sideways pass, if a backwards one was not available.

Like a lot of players in their first few games, he probably had not making a mistake, foremost in his mind. So we have little evidence either way.

If he does have a particularly good range of passing in his locker and we can actually get him on the pitch for a run of games, it would be like the arrival of a new player. The only upside of so many injuries, is the potential for a pleasant surprise if someone like Sanders suddenly comes through and strengthens the side.

Now he is fit (I think) it's up to him to show what he can do in training, to force his way into MA's thinking.

He has been injured when he might have got some games and we really haven't seen much of him.

In the few games he has played, my impression is he looked like a reincarnation of Ray Wilkins playing for England. ie only playing a sideways pass, if a backwards one was not available.

Like a lot of players in their first few games, he probably had not making a mistake, foremost in his mind. So we have little evidence either way.

If he does have a particularly good range of passing in his locker and we can actually get him on the pitch for a run of games, it would be like the arrival of a new player. The only upside of so many injuries, is the potential for a pleasant surprise if someone like Sanders suddenly comes through and strengthens the side.

Now he is fit (I think) it's up to him to show what he can do in training, to force his way into MA's thinking.
Looked the best of a distinctly average set of January signings. Would like to see him get a bit of a run in the side, injury permitting.