Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Benitez

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
D

Departed

Mauricio Pochettino details exactly how he interacts with young players like Alli and Kane every day

Mauricio Pochettino has detailed how at 44 he deals with such young players in his squad

BY ALASDAIR GOLD
13:29, 19 JAN 2017
SPURS

Mauricio Pochettino has quickly earned himself a reputation for developing young players into internationals and he has given an insight into how he goes about it.

The Tottenham Hotspur boss gave a revealing interview to Argentinean media outlet La Nacion with his views on social media, the Premier League, returning to Argentina one day, but perhaps most interesting were his thoughts on dealing with young players.

Spurs have been competing at the top end of the table in recent seasons with a squad with the youngest average age in the Premier League.

“You have to try to feel things the way they do, show empathy. Nowadays, the more human leader is the one that is successful," said the 44-year-old.

"The iron fist is a thing of the past. The kids also feel passion but you have to help them discover it, discover inspiration. More than motivate them, you have to take care of them. Today, everything tends to make relationships colder.

READ MORE
Tottenham Hotspur fans back Kevin Wimmer to shine after Jan Vertonghen injury

"You have to maintain them via text messages, Whats App, Skype. It’s very difficult for people nowadays to create a relationship, to look people in the eye, touch another person. Those of us that come from another generation have the responsibility to not have this new generation forget how to touch, talk to each other, relate.

"All of that is what football consists of. Tactics are nothing more than the relationship that you have with your teammate. Based on how we relate amongst each other we will define how we act."

Pochettino was also asked how he avoided becoming a seargent major or just another friend to the players.

“With spontaneity. There are no problems if you, in front of your group you must act in a genuine manner," he said.

"The worst thing you can do to a player is hide who you really are, to act one way and then act another.”You have to trust in yourself with honesty in front of everything else. This will help you to never be wrong. You can be upset, you can show your less appealing side. You can be near or far, you will always be you.

"You can keep being who you are, believe in your intuition, believe in oneself. I’ve learned to act that way because I’ve made mistakes in the past.”

READ MORE
Spurs academy starlet reveals what's special about Toby Alderweireld in training
He added: "Within every group there are individuals and they are all different. Individually you have to speak to players and know that each one understands the correct message is also a difficult job.

"It’s like with your kids. You can say, ‘But I raise my kids under the same way. With the same values…’ But yet one you reach one way and another another way. In football it is very similar to home."

http://www.football.london/tottenham-hotspur-fc/news/mauricio-pochettino-details-exactly-how-12477792

Watch the first 5 minutes of this and then reflect on what we are doing...............

[youtube=T5EkSxjkDfc]

Lol. When you're emulating the greatest manager of all time AND increasing revenues to edge closer to United, which will take a while, you really should let things play out for an extended period.

Do the people who don't rate him and there was quite a few recently, still want him gone? Serious question

ScottDaYid - 6/4/2017 11:53

Do the people who don't rate him and there was quite a few recently, still want him gone? Serious question

I think one or two of them are no longer in a position to reply :71:

ScottDaYid - 6/4/2017 11:53

Not surprisingly, his most ardent vociferous critics here have all but silenced themselves, as always the proof is self-evident that there are some here that could easily see the incremental improvement across all area of the squad, the team, our 'system', our tactics and our game management - if there is one area of disappointment, it has to be on last summers recruits - that said I am still convinced the best of Janssen is the back-end of this and then next season, whether that's good enough we will see - which does leave us with two potential poor buys..

I have genuinely forgot who were the culprits and I am genuinely asking the question. If they only write on here when things ain't going well then that says it all but if they are still on here I'd like to see what they've got to say :6:

Please take the time to check for existing threads about individuals and add your new comments to the existing thread.

Thank you.

80deg16minW - 6/4/2017 12:42

Please take the time to check for existing threads about individuals and add your new comments to the existing thread.

Thank you.

Alright sorry Dad :83:

Thank you.

You have the power to merge threads!!

Spursex - 6/4/2017 13:02

Thank you.

You have the power to merge threads!!

You of all people should understand delegation.

I have criticised Poch on the odd occasion but have been in favour and behind him on the whole.

I haven't been disrespectful towards him by calling him names or insulting his character. Words like naive, inexperienced and unintelligent have been used and quite a few worse.

Yesterday I was puzzled by the decision to play Sissoko instead of Janssen but I think I may understand. Possibly neither are fit enough to play 90 and Janssen is probably more dangerous against tired defenders.

Also Sissoko needed to prove he was a lost cause and he probably has now but I'm still not sure.

Those who have insulted him know who they are and should partake in some humble pie if they have any decency about them.

I noticed Dembo looked pretty fresh at the end and lasted the 90 which used to be a no no with him.

Poch has said he has a special fitness programme tailored to him by Jesus Perez which is working well. Good news and I don't think he is going anywhere so I was wrong on that one. Poch says he is in the top 5 best players he has worked with. !!

humble pie...bah indeed! ... f'in decency about HIM IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BR PROTESTING FOR .... he is paid a small fortune compared to us plebs and yet he is abysmal, has no drive, no dedication. no heart, he has the ability but not the mentality ...he should be ashamed to take his inflated salary....

i am disappointed in you NRD... SERIOUSLY

If it is a wnd up....well yes i took the bait..........i hate his demeanor and attitude 100%

....As most on here know i disliked Jenarsole in a football sense but I would have Jenas in the team 100% before that waste of space shisokko.

Jenas is a god in comparison, cos despite his inadequacies, he cared, tried and put in a shift.

Greavswasthegreatest - 6/4/2017 19:38

humble pie...bah indeed! ... f'in decency about HIM IS WHAT YOU SHOULD BR PROTESTING FOR .... he is paid a small fortune compared to us plebs and yet he is abysmal, has no drive, no dedication. no heart, he has the ability but not the mentality ...he should be ashamed to take his inflated salary....

i am disappointed in you NRD... SERIOUSLY

If it is a wnd up....well yes i took the bait..........i hate his demeanor and attitude 100%

You got the wrong end of the stick Greavsie. The thread is about Poch. I was questioning why he started him. I meant those who have insulted Poch.

Nick Real Deal - 6/4/2017 19:34

I noticed Dembo looked pretty fresh at the end and lasted the 90 which used to be a no no with him.

Poch has said he has a special fitness programme tailored to him by Jesus Perez which is working well. Good news and I don't think he is going anywhere so I was wrong on that one. Poch says he is in the top 5 best players he has worked with. !!

I bet Lallana and Rodriguez are on that list.....