Matty Willock | Vital Football

Matty Willock

Kura

Vital Youth Team
With Coyle and Woods both getting game time tonight he's just becoming a bench warmer.

After all the hype and fanfare certainly never made any form of impact in any of the limited
game time he's had. From the lack of statements over his fitness i'd assume he's fit but just
not close to whats required these days.

If he leaves at seasons end could he depart never having played a full 90 minutes.

With Coyle and Woods both getting game time tonight he's just becoming a bench warmer.

After all the hype and fanfare certainly never made any form of impact in any of the limited
game time he's had. From the lack of statements over his fitness i'd assume he's fit but just
not close to whats required these days.

If he leaves at seasons end could he depart never having played a full 90 minutes.

That looks possible.

When Matty had a couple of decent appearances off the bench recently, I thought he was going to actually start soon and we’d start seeing the talent he should have. But he’s been left on the bench the last couple. Weird.

He’s not really shown any form when he has played. Others are deservedly ahead of him including, it seems Woods.

Also possibly that Evans has run out of patience.He needs everyone pulling their weight.Without a dominant skipper there is no room for part timers.It is not a surprise to me.i feared the worst last season. Part of it is the system.Until Premier league clubs are only allowed to sign limited numbers far too many players who could be excellent at our level will be a total waste of space.

I think Willock is going to have to work extremely hard between now and the end of the season to be offered a new contract. As it stands I can’t see him getting one.

Evan's said in his zoom interview 2 or 3 may be leaving in January to make room for new signings. Looking at his game record I can imagine he is right up towards the top of that list, as might a couple of the lesser used loanees

It must be tough being released by Man Utd where you've been as a kid dreaming of making it and ending up at Gillingham. I wonder if his mentality is right

I take no pleasure in having called this last season. I'd love to be proved wrong but I don't think his Gillingham record will be more than a handful of appearances. Perhaps a change will give him the opportunity to relaunch his career.

It must be tough being released by Man Utd where you've been as a kid dreaming of making it and ending up at Gillingham. I wonder if his mentality is right

I thought the deal with Willock was that he was highly talented but was prone to niggly injuries and would be an asset is we could keep him fit. He did spend the beginning of last season injured and only started to get a run of games from January until Covid hit. He is now trying to get fit while competing with injury free players on loan from the likes of Arsenal, Southampton and Celtic plus Championship clubs like Coventry.

Evans has previously said Willock was working hard in training so it probably hasn't been down to attitude but more of injuries and lack of pitch time has stunted his development. Sadly I think regardless of his talent, he is now sufficiently down the pecking order that he won't get a sufficient run of games to demonstrate what he could contribute fully fit.

I remember reading him saying last season that he'd never been injured before. I'm not suggesting his attitude is bad, mentality is a state of mind and maybe his is more of disappointment with not making it at United followed by a succession of injuries. Must be quite depressing for a young man

Disappointing really, from what little I’ve seen of him he looks a half decent player and seems to have the right attributes, maybe he lacks the aggression and intensity to succeed at this level. I suspect he will be moved on. Regarding another absentee anyone know what’s happened to Eccles? Evans said sometime ago he had just become a father I think but he’s been missing for some time.

I remember reading him saying last season that he'd never been injured before. I'm not suggesting his attitude is bad, mentality is a state of mind and maybe his is more of disappointment with not making it at United followed by a succession of injuries. Must be quite depressing for a young man

he was very good at Utd as a youngster and highly regarded the season before he was released, even being put out on loan which at Utd itgenerally means outgrown the u23 games.
I was therefore surprised that he was released but he did have an injury at the end, looks like the medical team at Utd had made an assessment which has been borne out.

Yes, could be attitude or disappointment issue but we don’t know that, does seem like a punt from SE.

It was worth the punt at the time though, I think, Willock definitely has ability just a shame he hasn't put it into practice enough. It's looking likely it hasn't worked out but there's still more time to prove himself. Good luck to the lad 👍🏻

I was thinking that Bromley. People on here talking like he’s gone already. I mentioned above that there was a couple of games recently he came off the bench and had some decent comments from people. Looked to be getting there and I thought he was coming good but he’s been left on the bench last 2 or 3 games.

Agree with those who like the look of Willock, but, to me, he looks out of sorts. When he plays it`s pretty evident that Matty has quality. Perhaps, though, he hasn`t fully recovered from injury. Has he played a full 90 mins for us ?

I may not be fair in saying this but, when you`ve got young guys with bags of energy, enthusiasm and not a little skill, like Robertson, Eccles and Coyle, it`s understandable that they might be ahead of Matty in the queue to start games.

Agree with those who like the look of Willock, but, to me, he looks out of sorts. When he plays it`s pretty evident that Matty has quality. Perhaps, though, he hasn`t fully recovered from injury. Has he played a full 90 mins for us ?

I may not be fair in saying this but, when you`ve got young guys with bags of energy, enthusiasm and not a little skill, like Robertson, Eccles and Coyle, it`s understandable that they might be ahead of Matty in the queue to start games.
Unfortunately it could just be injuries or mental attitude the likes of Luke Rooney and JET being extremes on attitude. With injuries it could just be a case of something like Garmston a injury that is still affecting him long after the pain may have perhaps totally gone.

Part of the problem could be the success of his younger sibling/s.If he is anything like my eldest he had to be best at everything. Or he really couldn't take it.