Matt Rhead | Page 3 | Vital Football

Matt Rhead

I cannot believe fans would rather watch City play with Akinde and Rhead together at the expense of including someone like McCarton. Rhead ball is in the past, plan B at best please. Big Matt gets so much slack from most Imps fans because they see a lot of themselves in him ie lardy, slow and limited. He will have his moments this season but few and far between. Akinde with footballers around him like McCarton, Pett and Andrade are vital to success this year and miles better to watch and a lot harder for opposition to defend against.
Please DC no more Rheadball as plan A

Really can't agree with that & especially it's tone. Rheady is NOT lardy and slow. He is a very fit and skillful professional footballer. Do u actually think the Cowleys would be playing him if he wasn't ?
The passes he lays off are pretty special at times & his ball winning in the air is exceptional.
Can Akinde be better? Maybe in time. But not seen it yet

I cannot believe fans would rather watch City play with Akinde and Rhead together at the expense of including someone like McCarton. Rhead ball is in the past, plan B at best please. Big Matt gets so much slack from most Imps fans because they see a lot of themselves in him ie lardy, slow and limited. He will have his moments this season but few and far between. Akinde with footballers around him like McCarton, Pett and Andrade are vital to success this year and miles better to watch and a lot harder for opposition to defend against.
Please DC no more Rheadball as plan A
"Lardy,slow and limited". ? You've been sitting in Co-op upper 5 haven't you?:grinning:

Really can't agree with that & especially it's tone. Rheady is NOT lardy and slow. He is a very fit and skillful professional footballer. Do u actually think the Cowleys would be playing him if he wasn't ?
The passes he lays off are pretty special at times & his ball winning in the air is exceptional.
Can Akinde be better? Maybe in time. But not seen it yet

Define 'slow'. If you mean 'moves quicker than the average Barry Ten Bellies', you could be right. If you mean 'can keep up with his footballing contemporaries over a significant distance', you might be wrong.

Can we start spelling McCartan's name right please?

Guilty as charged your honour. Apologies Graeme I genuinely thought that was the correct spelling, I will pay more attention next time. Bad spelling and incorrect grammar is a bug bear of mine especially as in the distant pass I qualified as an expert in the English language by attaining a B mark in my English O level.

Guilty as charged your honour. Apologies Graeme I genuinely thought that was the correct spelling, I will pay more attention next time. Bad spelling and incorrect grammar is a bug bear of mine especially as in the distant pass I qualified as an expert in the English language by attaining a B mark in my English O level.
Think you mean the distant 'past'. :p

There's a good analysis of Tuesday's game on the Bury fans forum.

The writer of that makes the point that with Matt Rhead up front the Bury defence were able to play a high line. That's an advantage to any team wanting to take the initiative, which Bury did.

He also made the point that when McCartan came on it pushed Bury at least five yards further back towards their own goal

Like some others I don't think Rhead should start too many games any more. His attributes will be a big advantage against teams sitting deep and hard to break down (usually when they're winning or happy with what they've got) and, conversely, his hold up play will be useful where we're trying to see games out.

But unless he's going to have Green or Akinde alongside him (not pushed wide) it's just going to make it too easy for most sides to defend.