Matt Jarvis | Vital Football

Matt Jarvis

Therealwaldo

Vital Squad Member
Interesting stat on match of the day. When Bennett scored for Wolves today, he was the first Englishman to score for them since Matt Jarvis in 2012.

Would be interested to know what Walsall are paying him! All of his Norwich wages or 50% and how much that is? I’m guessing we’d have no chance of signing someone in that sort of Championship wage bracket on loan.

Lark I think from what I can remember Walsall are renowned for being one of the worst payers in the football League. Bonsor the chairman has regular markets on a Sunday to boost income plus numerous shows comedy nights banqueting does etc. Do you remember one of our Sunday league games being postponed until the Sunday market had finished late afternoon a few seasons ago. So if that's the case and I'm sure Norwich must be covering most of his wages in order to get him fit so I guess its not costing Walsall much why couldn't we have used his experience and skill ? That being said with Reilly and Byrne and Parker he wouldn't have had so many chances as he did yesterday as he would have been tracking back to cover their errors all day !

"one of our Sunday league games being postponed until the Sunday market", about sums our level of competence at the moment.

Lark I think from what I can remember Walsall are renowned for being one of the worst payers in the football League. Bonsor the chairman has regular markets on a Sunday to boost income plus numerous shows comedy nights banqueting does etc. Do you remember one of our Sunday league games being postponed until the Sunday market had finished late afternoon a few seasons ago. So if that's the case and I'm sure Norwich must be covering most of his wages in order to get him fit so I guess its not costing Walsall much why couldn't we have used his experience and skill ? That being said with Reilly and Byrne and Parker he wouldn't have had so many chances as he did yesterday as he would have been tracking back to cover their errors all day !

Most of Walsalls FCs income comes from the market every Sunday, the lease to the hotel on site, corporate events and the advertising next to the M6 - the income from football is secondary.

Maybe now the pitch has been improved, we should hold a Sunday Market on it to help with finances.

If we had signed Jarvis with his injury record he probably would have pulled a hamstring on his debut and people would have moaned about how Scally was wasting the club's resources by signing injury prone players. Jarvis is clearly too good for league one, but it'll be interesting to see how many games he manages to keep fit for.

Nice to see the reception for Matt when he was subbed. He was what we desperately need. Someone to cross the ball into the danger area.

Yes he might gave got injured and I am sure that could have been written into the loan deal ie. If he's injured we don't pay his wages.

Point is we didn't even try (fact) but then again Lovell is happy with quality in the squad ?

I read somewhere that Jarvis is on 30k a week paid by Norwich!!

I don't know why we can't play List in the same role that Jarvis played in, he's the nearest we've got to him.

Nice to see the reception for Matt when he was subbed. He was what we desperately need. Someone to cross the ball into the danger area.

Yes he might gave got injured and I am sure that could have been written into the loan deal ie. If he's injured we don't pay his wages.

Point is we didn't even try (fact) but then again Lovell is happy with quality in the squad ?

We don't play with wingers so why go for a player who might be injury prone in a position we don't usually use? If we did sign him then we'd have to completely change our tactics to suit him

At the risk of being shouted down as a scally sympathiser (or even worse Durham in disguise) do we know for sure we didn’t try? For all we know Jarvis didn’t wanna come back here. Another post alluded to him having a house in the West Midlands from his time at wolves, if true this may have had a bearing. Other than us long suffering fans and PS himself I’m not sure MJ would know anyone else here from his previous time anyway. Other than giving the fans a clap yesterday (which was a nice touch) I’m not sure he really cares who he’s gonna play for.

He’s also getting on a little now and looking for a club to get fit at, I can imagine the spleen venting had we signed him and got injured.

Players rarely go back to clubs and have the same impact as when they left. Think Chris Dickson, super Bob, probably others that I can’t recall atm.

Matty Jarvis was brilliant for the Gills. So many good memories of his runs down the left, pivot, cut in and wallop the ball in with his right foot. Best of luck to him and thanks for the memories. One of our better spells.

The assist for Walsall's second was classic Jarvis.Beat two defenders, left them in his wake and still had time at the byline to look up and pick out an unmarked striker.

At the risk of being shouted down as a scally sympathiser (or even worse Durham in disguise) do we know for sure we didn’t try? For all we know Jarvis didn’t wanna come back here. .

Rob I asked the question on twitter and his wife kindly responded by saying that Gills had not made any approach. He still may have said no but we didn't even ask.

Perhaps our wage strategy prevents us signing decent players on loan. Last January we went for the likes of Rhys Murphy. Perhaps that's the calibre we are looking at again. If that's the case then we will end up exactly where we deserve either just above or just below the drop zone. Happy days eh !

Perhaps some decent attacking football like Jarvis showed yesterday might even attract a few more to come watch.

He may well have house in the West Mids but he's based in Surrey and is advertising for his academy in Surrey so I guess that is where "home is".

The only reason we don't play wingers is that we haven't got any.

Are people seriously saying we wouldn't be more of a threat at home if we had someone who could beat a man and deliver a great cross for the likes of Eaves to attack.

I think the key factor in Jarvis signing for Walsall is the link with former Norwich colleague Russell Martin, who has travelled the same journey and is player/coach until the end of the season. I doubt he would have come even if we had made an approach.

With the short loan window signing on loan a injury prone striker is a risk- we all like Matty but i would not want him back

I believe Walsall have a higher wage budget than us due to the reasons Durham mentioned. I guess the income from our conference and banqueting facilities doesn’t match up to what Walsall get from the markets and the M6 advertising boards!

We get similar attendances to them, our average is slightly higher than theirs this season, but they have played 3 more home games than us so far.