Matt Clarke | Page 2 | Vital Football

Matt Clarke

Pompeytim - 19/12/2015 08:36

4 weeks apparently Emsworth.

Burgess is a real ball-playing centre half.

Clarke will be fine. With Webster they are good enough for most L2 attacks. Losing Burgess is a blow, but not a disaster.

Clarke wanted game time, well, now's your time to shine!

Absolutely Tim, Clarke (and McCarthy too) wants to play so he'll have - assuming the loan is extended in January - a number of games to prove he's the man to work alongside Webster.

Burgess, whilst sometimes he'll lose the ball trying to bring it out/play it out will be a miss on that score BUT I actually think, as Webster very comfy on the ball, as much as his defensive abilities have shone of late it'll give him that chance to be defender showing this as I would go as far as say he was the better footballing defender than Burgess tbh.

FrattonBlue - 19/12/2015 08:36

I have no worries with playing Clarke and Webster together as proved in the cup competitions, they are a more than capable partnership. Also agree with Tim that Burgess' injury is a blow but not the end of the world.

The main issue will arrive when we play Ipswich and Clarke won't be able to play, plus Christian will probably still be injured. Who will play with Webbo then? We might have to throw Jack W into the deep end or maybe Barton will be considered having played the role against Exeter in the JPT.

That's a worry isn't it, who will play in defence against Ipswich? A bridge to cross as and when I guess.

Although I'd lose to have Whatmough back but not sure he'll be ready, but we'll see.

I thought it odd playing Barton in central defence against Exeter that night but he did well enough so this could be what Cookie does again, he might not have any other options!

Pompey have followed up the loan extension of Sheffield United's Marc McNulty with the extension of Ipswich's Matt Clarke too.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?560742">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Another good piece of news, Clarke has done a really good job for us IMO and was unlucky that Webbo found such terrific form to knock him out of the side. If it wasn't for Burgess' injury though, he may have ended up leaving in January so thankfully he has had this opportunity to prove himself once again and earn a new loan deal. PUP!

Again agree FrattonBlue, the loss of Burgess was disappointing but it not only enabled Clarke to come back in again but to show what a quality player he is that we would have missed if he went back to Ipswich.

Selection headache for Cookie coming up soon, in the coming weeks too IF Whatmough gets himself back to full fitness with Havant.

Its good to know that we have a few defensive options cos now that were getting into extra matches, (v Ipswich to start off with) and plenty of tough promotion games coming soon we dont need to lose out cos of a shortage of decent defenders.

What a signing from Ipswich. Yes, sad to lose Webster to the Tractor Boys but what a deal Pompey did for - in my opinion, and that of scott mc - the unsung hero that is Clarke.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?581352">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Clarke may not have won any formal trophy but he has certainly won many accolades from the fans, on everyones shortlist pretty much, he was level with Burgess and Stevens pretty much for me but Burgess goals and without any other factor - yes, his charitable and selfless side, it had to be him for me. They make a very good partnership and Jack keeps them on their toes. I actually think Burgess takes the pressure off Clarke a bit, he takes more responsibility for getting things going and is the leader at the back, Clarke also missed a few games and took a few more to get going this season. It was very small margins for me!!

Again, hard not to agree in many ways, but - there's usually a but - I've often thought it was Clarke who took the pressure off Burgess to be honest?

Still, a cracking pairing and hopefully both are retained. Again, hopefully he'll stay, Whatmough comes in an looks the part alongside either.

Clarke has been every inch the footballer we hoped he would be since arriving from Ipswich. Yes, he will leave, probably in the summer, so all being well a new deal is signed.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?590033">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

How much longer can we keep Clarke? All being well a new deal CAN be signed to maximise our return when - not if - he's sold.