Matt Clarke | Vital Football

Matt Clarke

FrattonBlue

Vital Reserves Team
The Portsmouth News are reporting that Pompey are in talks with 18 year old Ipswich defender Matt Clarke about a potential loan move to the South Coast.

He is naturally a left footed centre half, though I have heard that he can play in midfield too.

Cook is hoping to seal the deal in time for the Coventry friendly.

Pompey, from the looks of it, are about to add to the squad once more with Paul Cook ready to bring in Ipswich defender Matt Clarke.

Social media already had him as being in Portsmouth on Monday with him 'tweeting' his presence in the city ahead of a loan deal...

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=555127#ixzz3gVSRexK0" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

FrattonBlue - 20/7/2015 22:32

The Portsmouth News are reporting that Pompey are in talks with 18 year old Ipswich defender Matt Clarke about a potential loan move to the South Coast.

He is naturally a left footed centre half, though I have heard that he can play in midfield too.

Cook is hoping to seal the deal in time for the Coventry friendly.

Sounds highly rated, a good addition but as I've said in my article suprised, if I'm honest, Cook's bringing in (a) another loanee and (b) a loanee defender that isn't even a right back!

Agreed, it looks like a good signing and I have read that Ipswich see him as a very talented young player, though it is still a surprising deal. Even so, I am positive about this signing as brings more depth to the centre half position while Jack is out injured and hopefully he can cover at left back too, seeing as he is left footed. I'm not overly concerned about dipping into the loan market either as Cook seems to be far more wiser than previous managers, and will not go overboard on bringing them in.

Good luck to the lad.

Yeah, there has been no official confirmation of the deal yet but he did play against Coventry last night and impressed me, to be fair!

Discussions on deal are on-going I believe. Could possibly be a sticking point over the numebr of games he plays. At only 18 Cookie might not want to commit to too many appearances.

That's the thing isn't it - Ipswich, understandably, will want him to play regularly. We've got 'decent' options in central defence so would he be considered 'better' than Robbo, Whatmough and/or Burgess to keep one of those out week-in-week-out...

If he was Burgess, who I think is a decent footballer - Robbo 'should' be a shoe-in, signing would end up be one I questioned?

I heard Mick McCarthy has confirmed that he'll be loaned out to us at the start of the season so pretty made take that as confirmation but I guess nothing is set in stone yet

Confirmed he'll be loaned out when they have cover wasn't it - 'probably' will be to PFC but not sure he actually said it would definitely see him coming to the Park was it?

Finally it's a done deal, portsmouthfc.co.uk confirmed Matt Clarke had come in on loan on Monday afternoon after all the talk, rumour, speculation and of course his summer trial!

Clarke has come to Fratton on loan from Ipswich, initially until January.

At just 18, albeit only having played three 1st team matches for Ipswich, he comes very highly rated and would be expected to be there or thereabouts in Paul Cook's starting XI - put it this way he's himself said he's come here to play football

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=555481#ixzz3hpUkgMDV" target="blank"><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Until Accrington in the FA cup last weekend we hadn't seen Ipswich loanee Clarke in the side (as a starter anyway) for a little while as he was being kept out by Webster.

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?559925">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

Clarke has done well here, but with Webster playing well in that position I hope that the manager sticks with our own young player before a loanee. :1: :1:

mslorna48 - 15/12/2015 09:12

Clarke has done well here, but with Webster playing well in that position I hope that the manager sticks with our own young player before a loanee. :1: :1:

Think he will lorna, although in light of the Burgess injury this 'could' open the door to Clarke again? Wouldn't want Burgess out BUT if he is then Clarke is a more than able deputy.

The suggestion was Ipswich could loan him elsewhere in the new year...perhaps the weekend will see this change?

Any combination will work

This is basically the opinion Paul Cook has when it comes to the central defensive options that Pompey have at the moment with him having 'no qualms' (as the <a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-boss-has-no-qualms-matching-matt-clarke-in-defence-1-7115524' target='blank'><b>News</b></a> put it) with pairing Matt Clarke with Adam Webster, should this be needed due to Christian Burgess' injury.

A week or so ago it wasn't looking too good, in my view, that Clarke would stay beyond his existing loan from Ipswich – I wouldn't say it was a case of him 'not wanting' this as such, more a case of him wanting (and needing) regular 1st team football more.

With that not being the case, which his boss Mick McCarthy (rightly, to be fair) wanted for the 19-year-old it was looking likely he would return to Portman Road in January and head to pasture new?

Fast-forward to the weekend and Burgess' injury against Hartlepool and suddenly he's back in the side again and, depending on the seriousness of the injury to the man I'd say is 'probably' Cook's first choice central defender, Clarke is now very much in the picture again.

NOT that he was ever out of it, it was merely a case of Webster waiting for his chance and taking it when it came.

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=560092' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

The injury to Burgess took the gloss off last Saturday's result for me. Stupid, silly challenge that should have attracted a straight red. I have enjoyed Burgess lalely. Not scared to hold/carry the ball and assured to boot. I hope Clarke does the business for us and wish him all the best. I presume they have done a lot of work together on the training ground this week so hopefully all will be ok with Webster. How long is Burgess likely to be out? Anybody know?

4 weeks apparently Emsworth.

Burgess is a real ball-playing centre half.

Clarke will be fine. With Webster they are good enough for most L2 attacks. Losing Burgess is a blow, but not a disaster.

Clarke wanted game time, well, now's your time to shine!

I have no worries with playing Clarke and Webster together as proved in the cup competitions, they are a more than capable partnership. Also agree with Tim that Burgess' injury is a blow but not the end of the world.

The main issue will arrive when we play Ipswich and Clarke won't be able to play, plus Christian will probably still be injured. Who will play with Webbo then? We might have to throw Jack W into the deep end or maybe Barton will be considered having played the role against Exeter in the JPT.

Emsworthianblue - 19/12/2015 08:36

The injury to Burgess took the gloss off last Saturday's result for me. Stupid, silly challenge that should have attracted a straight red. I have enjoyed Burgess lalely. Not scared to hold/carry the ball and assured to boot. I hope Clarke does the business for us and wish him all the best. I presume they have done a lot of work together on the training ground this week so hopefully all will be ok with Webster. How long is Burgess likely to be out? Anybody know?

I'd absolutely agree with the red card thoughts Emsworthian - I've not seen it back but at the time it seemed a straight red card to me with him VERY lucky to get away with it...