Mateo Kovacic | Vital Football

Mateo Kovacic

D

Departed

Spurs resurrect move for Madrid midfielder but face competition

15 June at 13:00

Tottenham Hotspur are set to resurrect their interest in Real Madrid midfielder Mateo Kovacic this summer, according to Football London.

The north-London side were previously linked with the playmaker - who was known as the next Luka Modric during his time with Dinamo Zagreb and Inter Milan - but he made a move to the Bernabéu for a sizable £27.5m in 2015.

Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has made use of the 23-year-old last season, utilising him as a secondary option to be alongside fellow Croatian Modric.

But the midfielder has not been impressed with his lack of game time – especially with the World Cup next year not too far away - and is reportedly keen on making a move out of the club.

Reports now indicate that Arsenal, AC Milan and his former club Inter Milan are all keen on the former Dinamo man, with Spurs only making a move for Kovacic if they feel they could lose Dele Alli.

Jacque Talbot (@Jac_Talbot)

http://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/spurs-resurrect-move-for-madrid-midfielder-but-face-competition-37290

Does anybody honestly think we're ever going to sign a player from Real Madrid ever again? We've been heavily linked to Di Maria, Sneijder, Ozil, Illarramendi, Isco, Morata, Coentrão and probably a few others down the years and the only guy we ever managed to tempt was VdV. Since selling them Bale, they never seem to be willing to deal with us. Or the players don't want to make such massive wage drops.

I don't see this deal ever happening.

Matic - 16/6/2017 11:32

Does anybody honestly think we're ever going to sign a player from Real Madrid ever again? We've been heavily linked to Di Maria, Sneijder, Ozil, Illarramendi, Isco, Morata, Coentrão and probably a few others down the years and the only guy we ever managed to tempt was VdV. Since selling them Bale, they never seem to be willing to deal with us. Or the players don't want to make such massive wage drops.

Going anywhere is always going to be a step down. Madrid are the biggest club in world football.

Wages are astromical when other clubs get involved, and we just can't compete at that level.... Yet.

We won't be signing any Madrid players in the near future, but once the new stadium is here and we have had a few years of eevenue then we may be able to compete for the players you mentioned.

rk_ni - 16/6/2017 11:40

Going anywhere is always going to be a step down. Madrid are the biggest club in world football.

Wages are astromical when other clubs get involved, and we just can't compete at that level.... Yet.

We won't be signing any Madrid players in the near future, but once the new stadium is here and we have had a few years of eevenue then we may be able to compete for the players you mentioned.

Our club needs to raise its profile further as well. I bet there are sponsorship pressures when stepping away from Real Madrid too and at the moment our market just does not compete with teams around Europe. It's definitely improving and I'm sure the stadium will help in that respect too, but all that matters to sponsors is cold, hard stats.

Wouldn't go near real. Any deal would involve Alli....

rk_ni - 16/6/2017 11:40

There is one massive serious issue that has now caught up with the Spanish clubs, most especially RM and Barca and that's the way in which they've been able to construct salary deals that have allowed them and the player to evade significant proportion of their earnings from direct taxation - namely the 'global marking rights payments and local marketing fees' - the sh8t is hitting the fan big time in Spain as the government is finally coming down hard on both clubs and players - it will mean in some cases players having to pay 50% more tax than they have traditionally done and will add (for example)a round €15-30 million euro's a year to the clubs contributions to tax and national insurance.

The gulf that once existed even between the PL and the Spanish league in terms of the wages they could pay is now almost non-existent, 'netto, net, netti' now means a whole different payment structure to what they've got away with for the past two decades....

I would love him. He is exactly the type of player we need. We will not get him though. He is probably a on more money than we pay our top players.
Either we change e our structure or we risk losing out on any other top players that come along

Haven't the journalists who are quite close to goings on with our club already said that this rumour isn't true? I thought I read somewhere that it is and that Real are desperate to offload a few players to fund a mega bid for Mbappe.

I know nothing of this player. I know I don't trust Real though and unless we're getting Bale, James or Isco from them I'd prefer we stay clear of them.

Doubt if we will be able to agree personal terms. More likely than not we could get Real down to £30-35m for him but think we would struggle to even match what Real will have him on. Not to mention we always seem to be used as bait for clubs who will pay 100k+ salaries. More likely than not we would agree a fee and see him leave as our bid being accepted allows other teams to suss how much they have to pay.

Never going to happen. I'm not sure we'll sign anyone in this summer window. Levy must be having a nightmare. Got great money for Walker but now average players are going for £30m. Levy wont want to pay more than that for anyone.

The wages will always be our stumbling block in any deal. Even Arsenal pay much higher wages than us.

I'm very concerned.

AC milan now have a billionaire owner who wants to get them back to the top dogs of serie A. They to are apparently interested in kovacic. Levy and lewis needs to get with the times. He sold mason for 10m ffs and he expects better players for the same price.

Taricco the yid - 16/7/2017 08:47

AC milan now have a billionaire owner who wants to get them back to the top dogs of serie A. They to are apparently interested in kovacic. Levy and lewis needs to get with the times. He sold mason for 10m ffs and he expects better players for the same price.
it was actually £13m. I think Sissoko proves we are not afraid to spend big on fees, but we obviously knew he wouldn't demand parity with our top earners as he needed to escape from the championship. He was going to take whatever we offered him. They are far more scared of upsetting the wage structure and having a much bigger monthly outlay. If this is the case I think we're going to be seeing very few coming in, as we are only going to be targeting promising 19-24 year olds who haven't had a move to a big European club (think Lamela, Janssen, Eriksen, Lloris etc etc etc) and hoping we don't get gazumped by other big teams in the process. Unless the market settles down over the next 2 windows this is going to leave us very exposed to having to upgrade the squad according price and wages, instead of what positions need filling.

Devon Spur - 18/7/2017 23:21

Taricco the yid - 16/7/2017 08:47

it was actually £13m. I think Sissoko proves we are not afraid to spend big on fees, but we obviously knew he wouldn't demand parity with our top earners as he needed to escape from the championship. He was going to take whatever we offered him. They are far more scared of upsetting the wage structure and having a much bigger monthly outlay. If this is the case I think we're going to be seeing very few coming in, as we are only going to be targeting promising 19-24 year olds who haven't had a move to a big European club (think Lamela, Janssen, Eriksen, Lloris etc etc etc) and hoping we don't get gazumped by other big teams in the process. Unless the market settles down over the next 2 windows this is going to leave us very exposed to having to upgrade the squad according price and wages, instead of what positions need filling.

It's worth recalling (again) that technically, top PL clubs can only increase wages by £7 mill p.a. and stay within PL financial stability rules...

The Premier League are continuing their version of salary caps for the next three seasons.

PL recently agreed to extend ‘short-term cost control’ over their player wage bills, but this only relates to centralised TV rights money, so teams are still able to pay their stars more from other funding still have the ability to do so (that means commercial income increases).

The TV money restrictions from next season will only apply to clubs with player wage bills in excess of £67m (rising by £7m for each of the following two seasons), which is likely to be all the teams apart from those promoted.

This regulation will prevent clubs increasing wage bills by more than £7m from the previous year. Or if it suits them better, they must demonstrate their aggregate player wage bill hasn’t increased by more than £19m from a 2012-13 base season. This £19m also rises by £7m for each of the following two seasons.

But the irrelevance of these rules to the top teams such as Chelsea, Man City and Manchester united is demonstrated by Manchester United’s commercial revenues of £66.1m in the last financial quarter alone, a rise of 42 per cent, with the increase all going on player wages if they so wish.

So the rules are really about stopping those clubs who haven't seen big increases in commercial revenues.... like Spurs and anyone outside of ManC. Manure and the Chavs...