Match thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Match thread

Mappred, meant to add 2 things, first that time helps and second that women in general seem to do a far better job than men under these sort of circumstances. I've got daughters, daughters in law, and my wife, all help in all sorts of ways. First time I've seen that happen and it took me by surprise.
Best of luck for his future.

Can't imagine Colback was too happy to be playing left-back. Might determine whether or not he signs for us permanently. :hmmm:
He is an experienced pro he would have understood...probably MON spoke with him before the decision nd explained to him why. Maybe MON wanted to see how the midfield works without him in the first place, he is not ours after all nd only one yellow from suspension. Infact he was still on the pitch nd when needed he switched back to midfield...that is how you experiment...by trying different things...

Never will be Pope, but thank you anyway. My stepdad fell of some scaffolding on Tuesday, and found out on Thursday, that he is paralysed from the waist down and will never walk again. Absolutely in pieces, but puts things into perspective doesn’t it.

Sorry to hear that chap. Best wishes to you and your family, there will always be a hilariously petty argument on here to take your mind off it for a bit x

MON walking a tightrope by getting next year's pre-season in early.

Pope, where do you get the long ball jibe from? As someone said at the final whistle, that was more like going back to the Warburton days. Playing out from the back, plenty of attacks but suspect at the back. We should have had 4 or 5.

Appiah getting valuable game time, some great moments (and some mistakes) from Pele, Yates looking fine. A younger side but some shocking misses.

Grabban worst of all when Pele robbed a defender and handed it him on a plate - let someone get back and take the ball off him when it should have been in the back of the net. Cash also dragged a shot wide first half, free header over the bar at 1-2.
'Yates looking fine?? He was awful. Complete headless chicken. One of his mistakes nearly cost a goal. Yes we tried to play some football , but it was terrible. Not sure how anyone can defend him anymore!

Last edited:
'Yates looking fine?? He was awful. Complete headless chicken. One of his mistakes nearly cost a goal. Yes we tried to play some football , but it was terrible. Not sure how anyone can defend him anymore!
Absolutely nothing wrong with Yates.

He's 21; he is going to make mistakes but for me he made less than half as many as Pele.

On this forum so many members are all for "chucking the kids in", "if they are good enough they are old enough" etc but it's just empty words once they get on the pitch and aren't doing absolutely everything those fans want to see

Yates has been a real bright spot of this season and one of relatively few positives going forward

Thing is, if he really was crap he would have people on here defending him to the death. But he has talent, so on here he's crap and few seem that fussed on defending him

Because he’s about 12 & has been playing at this level for about 15 minutes. Granted not all our young players will work out but while we aren’t fighting for automatic promotion or desperately trying to avoid relegation it is absolutely something we should be doing.

Now our season is over we should be getting as many minutes as we possibly can into Yates, Appiah and any other player we think could be ready.

So far they haven’t been brilliant but they haven’t been awful either and I hardly think it’s fair to single either of them out for scorn when our established ‘stars’ aren’t pulling up any trees either.

Ahhh that brilliant youngster production line theory that hasn’t propelled us into the premier league over the last 21 years...overhyped. Add Osborn and cash to that ever growing list. Sure they’ve earnt us a bob or 2 but it has been squandered whilst that overhyped production line has never really done much other than in the main lower premiership football and even then they were probably propped up by better footballers.

If we think Yates and appiah get us promotion next season ....forget it.

I don't get it... bearing in mind these decisions weren't forced due to injuries:

Our best midfielder at left back

Our best left back at centre back

Our best centre backs nowhere to be seen.

Our best winger playing as a number 10

Our best number 10 on the bench.

Our best striker set up to fail due to a lack of midfield creativity.

When we finally get our most creative player on the pitch, the striker who is most likely to benefit is taken off.

We try and play football, but without our most creative player, then bring Murphy on and game plan changes to pumping long balls into the box. Then he decides to bring on our most creative player.

The decisions make no sense.

No game plan that I could see.

It's like he's setting us up to fail.

Pretty much as I saw it - I'm starting to wonder if he's trying to get himself sacked?

Ahhh that brilliant youngster production line theory that hasn’t propelled us into the premier league over the last 21 years...overhyped. Add Osborn and cash to that ever growing list. Sure they’ve earnt us a bob or 2 but it has been squandered whilst that overhyped production line has never really done much other than in the main lower premiership football and even then they were probably propped up by better footballers.

If we think Yates and appiah get us promotion next season ....forget it.
Whatever players do eventually get us promotion will have come from somebodies academy. No reason why some of them couldn't have come from ours

Thanks ORF. The poor bloke is 67 and (was) fit as a fiddle. My one hope from now is that he at least manages to just stand, but that’s not looking likely. My mum and me are really close, and she is so strong, and dealing with this amazingly. I’m not, and am struggling big time. My dad was a complete c#*t, and this bloke is ten times the man he is. If it had happened to him, I genuinely would not have batted an eyelid, but unfortunately that doesn’t happen in real life.
Forest; meh.

Keep fighting for him, Mappred & just remember it could have been worse, hard to see it that way, but believe me it could!

Whatever players do eventually get us promotion will have come from somebodies academy. No reason why some of them couldn't have come from ours
Don't get me wrong, i think its good that Yates is getting games, but just worry that O'Neill might be doing him more harm than good.

Don't get me wrong, i think its good that Yates is getting games, but just worry that O'Neill might be doing him more harm than good.

Yates has played plenty of league football now, so if he does have aspirations to play at this level, then this is where he needs to show he's capable.

I was more worried with the impact on Arvin - he was hardly used.

Yates has played plenty of league football now, so if he does have aspirations to play at this level, then this is where he needs to show he's capable.

I was more worried with the impact on Arvin - he was hardly used.
Was almost pointless playing him, for the amount of times he got the ball, even tho it looked like he had the beating of their right back!