Match Thread. | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread.

To be honest Pebble I personally have no issue with Forest mixing it.We are now stronger in the air which is better for us both end s of the pitch.Long term though we need either a creative player starting in the middle 3 or,if not,very attack minded full backs to give us more threat and balance.COYR.

Agree. Incidentally we have a decent creative no. 10 that was beginning to bed in but doesn't start these days. But I also get the demand for pts right here right now

I do think we're comfortably one of the ugliest teams from an ethical stance. Constant cynical fouling, time wasting, diving, haranguing the referee etc. It's been going on for a long time.

Once we has a reputation for good football and behaviour, right now we're seen as an ugly cynical long ball team. By our fans as well as other teams.

It's not why I watch football.

No comment

While ever there is a realistic chance of making the play offs I think it's a bit unfair to criticise style if it turns up maximum pts. Mon ultimate goal is promotion and rightly so imo

There are a number of very loud voices on here (mine might be one of them, who knows) and I suspect that the reason there are a fraction of the number of regular posters that there used to be might lie at least partly in that direction

You will all get what you want sooner or later anyway so there is little point in arguing about it.

After supporting the last two managers to the hilt against grain, I've had enough of it. I honestly don't care who the next manager is. Let CP pick for all I care.
Who said it’s what I want? In fairness I didn’t want AK to go and didn’t want MoN.

However now we have got him I just want him to get the side playing the sort of football we know they can. With all of his experience he should be more than capable of that...

Whether he survives under our owner is not really up for debate. He will be sacked at some point if he doesn’t walk first but it would be nice if the same manager started and ended the season for us just once.

While ever there is a realistic chance of making the play offs I think it's a bit unfair to criticise style if it turns up maximum pts. Mon ultimate goal is promotion and rightly so imo
Its not getting us maximum points though..if we were on the back of a 5 game winning run, I'd agree with you, but we're struggling to create chances and beat teams at the lower end of the table..

We have been all season though.

Karanka signed so many attacking players to address this very thing: Grabban, Dias, Goncalves, Carvalho, Soudani, Lolley.

Problem is, Dias and Goncalves didn't work out at all; Soudani has had a long term injury and we have missed Grabban for 5 games (plus the rest)

That leaves us reliant on Lolley for goals, Carvalho when he is hot rather than cold, and Grabban when he is fit.

Beyond that we are back to relying on players who are not good enough in an attacking sense that were here before Karanka arrived- Cash, Osborn etc

Not to the extent we are now though. I agree we’ve relied heavily on Lolley all season, but I’d say we we were reliant on him from an assist and goal scoring point of view under karanka. We still had a bit about us as a team to pass our way and create chances throughout the team even if Lolley was the one with the eventual run, assist or finish.

Now, we just look a team devoid of knowing how to do anything unless we give him the ball 50 yards from goal and hope he does something. It’s frightening! I was very impressed with Swansea yesterday & they were a Grabban type up front away from being one of the best I’d seen at the CG this season.

Reason for that was that everybody was comfortable on the ball for them- they all ran into space when someone had the ball so that there were several options available for the carrier and everybody knew how to play simple accurate passes and wanted to join the attack. We never had any runners and nobody looks comfortable having a run or cross other than Lolley.

You can argue that might be an inherited player issue for O’Neill, but we were never this creatively abject before and where he takes full blame is persisting with 3 holding players who must have entered the Swansea half between them about 3 times all game.... at home!!!

Not good enough!

Let's be honest, it wasnt great yesterday, but we got the win, and that's all that matters at this point of the season. To a large extent he is having to make the most of what he has. We weren't particularly consistent before he came either.
Despite how crap most of you would have us believe we are, we are still just 2 points off the play offs, which tells me we are no worse than most of those around us. We are also selling out the ground just about every game, so most who are going dont seem to mind too much.
MON was brought in by the owner to try and get us promoted this year, a last throw of the dice. He hasn't got the luxury of developing a lovely passing style. I have zero doubt the owner told him to try and get us straight up. So he's doing what he can, with what he has. We have an unbalanced squad with a lot of players who are not good enough.
If we dont go up and he stays, I believe we will see a very different squad and be a lot more effective next season. I firmly believe MON would put together a squad able to get out of this division.

Let's be honest, it wasnt great yesterday, but we got the win, and that's all that matters at this point of the season. To a large extent he is having to make the most of what he has. We weren't particularly consistent before he came either.
Despite how crap most of you would have us believe we are, we are still just 2 points off the play offs, which tells me we are no worse than most of those around us. We are also selling out the ground just about every game, so most who are going dont seem to mind too much.
MON was brought in by the owner to try and get us promoted this year, a last throw of the dice. He hasn't got the luxury of developing a lovely passing style. I have zero doubt the owner told him to try and get us straight up. So he's doing what he can, with what he has. We have an unbalanced squad with a lot of players who are not good enough.
If we dont go up and he stays, I believe we will see a very different squad and be a lot more effective next season. I firmly believe MON would put together a squad able to get out of this division.

Agree and while the performances under MON have not been great, he has garnered 18 points from 12 games so far, an average of 1.5 per game. That's not at all bad - far better than the last three or four years (equivalent to 69 points over a season).

I also believe that if MON is here next season we will see more effective football and, I think, more entertaining football.

Someone earlier said that fans around them left the ground unhappy yesterday! I can't believe that. I can tell you that everyone around me in the upper TE was absolutely delighted and punching the air with the win, because that's the most important thing. We weren't bothered that it wasn't champagne football - after all there's always the hope that it will get better next time. Fans thought; well we made hard work of that and were lucky - but we actually WON. Let's get over it...

Around me there was lots of moaning - far more than in recent weeks despite the fact we won. From what I saw no one went home particularly happy.

As for on here, it’s obvious that the majority view is a dislike of what we have been served but I don’t get what you are saying about someone not daring to go against someone else’s opinion. Maybe that is coloured by your opinion...
Around me too. Upper Trent by the way.

That's not really what he said is it. He said he would also like to play teams off the park, I think he used the word sweep but it takes time and he has been there for 12 matches
But it's what he inferred! Anyway he says alot of things and does the complete opposite! He took over a good team/squad with a decent way of playing and totally dismantled it and after 12 games we just play horrible defensive kick and rush football. The days of us playing teams off the park are sadly gone!

I don’t.

Agree and while the performances under MON have not been great, he has garnered 18 points from 12 games so far, an average of 1.5 per game. That's not at all bad - far better than the last three or four years (equivalent to 69 points over a season).

I also believe that if MON is here next season we will see more effective football and, I think, more entertaining football.
Again. I don’t.

I agree it will be effective, but very much doubt it will be entertaining!

Someone earlier said that fans around them left the ground unhappy yesterday! I can't believe that. I can tell you that everyone around me in the upper TE was absolutely delighted and punching the air with the win, because that's the most important thing. We weren't bothered that it wasn't champagne football - after all there's always the hope that it will get better next time. Fans thought; well we made hard work of that and were lucky - but we actually WON. Let's get over it...
Of course everyone was delighted with the win. I was pleased, not delighted, too. What I wasn’t pleased with was the performance, and to be honest, apart from Derby, I haven’t enjoyed hardly any football since he’s been here. Didn’t want him in the first place, nor Keane, who apart from growling at the fourth official, what exactly is his role?

Its not getting us maximum points though..if we were on the back of a 5 game winning run, I'd agree with you, but we're struggling to create chances and beat teams at the lower end of the table..
Probably shouldn't have used the word maximum. The main point is really about stage of the season- we have 6 or less games to try and take that spot. These games are all about pts not trying to get the style right imo

Of course everyone was delighted with the win. I was pleased, not delighted, too. What I wasn’t pleased with was the performance, and to be honest, apart from Derby, I haven’t enjoyed hardly any football since he’s been here. Didn’t want him in the first place, nor Keane, who apart from growling at the fourth official, what exactly is his role?

Tbf that is probably 6pts gained from 4th officials who seem to cost us at least that many pts every fooking season