Match Thread: Yeovil Town v Lincoln City | Page 22 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Yeovil Town v Lincoln City

Just got back. -4 coming through Bisham, frozen snow and ice and abandoned vehicles. A good trip; lovely staff at Yeovil encouraged me to take the dog in to watch the game rather than leave him in the car. That is a first.

Just about as comprehensive a victory as you are likely to witness. After the first ten minutes they were almost in awe, we were physically stronger and more able, and stuck to a game plan which was never really challenged. We never got out of third gear, and never needed to; almost a training ground display which will not have overly tired the players for the Bury game at the weekend.

I guess the highlight was the industry shown by Danny Rowe, he also knows how to sniff a goal out when in the box. Akinde plays so much better when's he is not marked tightly and realises he can beat players and make telling passes. Anderson was double marked for much of the game which afforded space to others. Everyone contributed positively, it would have been hard not to. Though Toff appeared very lucky not to see red for kicking their player in the head.

Finally, what a great effort by the fans, a superb turnout considering the distances travelled, getting back in the early hours, and temperatures around freezing.

Believe it: this squad is going to win the League.

UTI.
Lets hope the dog remembers to rate the players,ref and do a match report!

Just got back. -4 coming through Bisham, frozen snow and ice and abandoned vehicles. A good trip; lovely staff at Yeovil encouraged me to take the dog in to watch the game rather than leave him in the car. That is a first.

Just about as comprehensive a victory as you are likely to witness. After the first ten minutes they were almost in awe, we were physically stronger and more able, and stuck to a game plan which was never really challenged. We never got out of third gear, and never needed to; almost a training ground display which will not have overly tired the players for the Bury game at the weekend.

I guess the highlight was the industry shown by Danny Rowe, he also knows how to sniff a goal out when in the box. Akinde plays so much better when's he is not marked tightly and realises he can beat players and make telling passes. Anderson was double marked for much of the game which afforded space to others. Everyone contributed positively, it would have been hard not to. Though Toff appeared very lucky not to see red for kicking their player in the head.

Finally, what a great effort by the fans, a superb turnout considering the distances travelled, getting back in the early hours, and temperatures around freezing.

UTI.
Actively encouraging you to bring the dog in is a touch of class. Well done Yeovil :clap:

I thought that was one of our best away displays of the season and, for me, the first that made us look like champions-elect.

Boswick in midfield just in front of Bolger and Shackell made us look so secure, and allowed O'Connor to run the game. Rowe was superb, and looks like the number ten we really need. Not that McCarten is bad, but Rowe will get into the box more and score more.

A significant upgrade this transfer window so far, and its now got me switching from wondering how we are top to thinking we will now stay there.

The Yeovil match report thinks they weren't in any trouble until we scored and that they more than matched us - it didn't sound like that to me, but I was only listening:

"Having more than been in the game until the opener, Lincoln's strike did little to deter the hosts..."

"More than matching their top of the league opponents the Glovers looked comfortable heading towards the half-hour mark."

https://www.ytfc.net/news/2019/january/report--yeovil-town-0-2-lincoln-city/

Interesting. I watched the game on i-Follow and, to me, it was one of the most comfortable wins of the season, almost practice match in places. Lincoln were in almost complete control for virtually the whole game and Yeovil, as far as I can recall, never put up a serious threat. I don't think Smith had even a semi-serious save to make. Yes, Yeovil had possession, but they did nothing with it.

A significant upgrade this transfer window so far, and its now got me switching from wondering how we are top to thinking we will now stay there.

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Seven out, three in, but the squad looks improved despite being down by four. Two more signings of the calibre of Rowe and Bolger has to put us in a great position.

Interesting. I watched the game on i-Follow and, to me, it was one of the most comfortable wins of the season, almost practice match in places. Lincoln were in almost complete control for virtually the whole game and Yeovil, as far as I can recall, never put up a serious threat. I don't think Smith had even a semi-serious save to make. Yes, Yeovil had possession, but they did nothing with it.

Agree, Yeovil were pish poor but they’ve recently beat Mansfield so maybe we should give our team credit, we were very good so made them appear very bad. 2-0 flattered them, it was more like a 5-0 drubbing without the extra 3 goals.

Yet more bleating from the Yeovil manager about how ' some big boys from up north came and took our ball away'. Another attempt to divert issues from his own team & coaching by saying we were to rough for them & didnt play to the rules.
Is he just copy & pasting from other losing managers rants?

Yet more bleating from the Yeovil manager about how ' some big boys from up north came and took our ball away'. Another attempt to divert issues from his own team & coaching by saying we were to rough for them & didnt play to the rules.
Is he just copy & pasting from other losing managers rants?

I played Saturday & Sunday local premier league football in and around London for 20 years & believe me southerners are not softees & know how to look after themselves on the pitch!

You know things are going well when they start playing fancy football, creating lots of chances whilst also being strong at the back. It was a great watch! League one, we're ready.

Darren Way says Lincoln bend the rules... What does he mean? He unfortunately wasn't very specific and prehaps intentionally left it very vague by saying they are very good at bending the rules. He did have a dig at us for diving so prehaps that's it?

The only rule I saw us bend was the no kicking people in the head rule (forget which rule number that is - but we definitely bent it)

I played Saturday & Sunday local premier league football in and around London for 20 years & believe me southerners are not softees & know how to look after themselves on the pitch!
Oh I didnt say they were soft!. Ex Forces and I have played against a few 'toughuns!' . Jocks were the hardest, Jock squaddies the toughest, specially when playing against any English B'stards!!!!!

UTI.
Saw your dog and he looked as cold as you were.Very decent turn out from imps and chatted to a few lads and lasses who had put a hard shift in to get there last night.
Totally worth it when we come away with the 3 points and as you say Rowe the ace in the pack who may make all the difference played through the middle.
Special mention to the New Bossie operating in the middle of the park he was outstanding.

No pressure on them that day, all on us.
If we want promotion we need to be winning games like tonight without doubt.
About time we went out and gave a team a hiding again, far to happy just lately to get the lead and sit in
You must be psychic, that is exactly what happened

Very solid performance. OConnor was outstanding and of course Rowe got closer to Akinde than Shay has managed so both looked dangerous. Controlled midfield ,rock solid at the back ,played some good football and created plenty of chances. What more could you ask for. Outclassed the Glover's at every aspect of the game. Toffs probably a little lucky to stay on the pitch. The city fans were great and got right behind the team.

Re the McCartan / Rowe comparisons and how close to Akinde they’ve got I think we need to remember we had Bossie in midfield providing defensive stability and it sounds like we dominated.

I’m just saying maybe it’s a bit too simple to say Rowe got closer to Akinde than McCartan - perhaps the nature of the players behind created the platform to allow Rowe more freedom in advanced areas than McCartan’s been able to enjoy.

Re the McCartan / Rowe comparisons and how close to Akinde they’ve got I think we need to remember we had Bossie in midfield providing defensive stability and it sounds like we dominated.

I’m just saying maybe it’s a bit too simple to say Rowe got closer to Akinde than McCartan - perhaps the nature of the players behind created the platform to allow Rowe more freedom in advanced areas than McCartan’s been able to enjoy.

it`s going to take a lot to knock Rowe out of the 10 slot,in my opinion having only seen his 2 appearances he is head and shoulders an improvement in the team balance and links better and offers a better goal threat.(and this comes from someone who wasn`t that impressed with his resigning)
just what we need competition for places.

it`s going to take a lot to knock Rowe out of the 10 slot,in my opinion having only seen his 2 appearances he is head and shoulders an improvement in the team balance and links better and offers a better goal threat.(and this comes from someone who wasn`t that impressed with his resigning)
just what we need competition for places.

I’m not disagreeing. Just highlighting there are other factors especially at Yeovil but Rowe has been very impressive for sure. (Not that I was at Yeovil).

I’m not disagreeing. Just highlighting there are other factors especially at Yeovil but Rowe has been very impressive for sure. (Not that I was at Yeovil).

Previously Rowe was deployed wide but now through the middle he receives more ball and is much more involved in the game(shades of Pett)
This time round he looks a different and better player but with 2 games it`s early days to make a full judgement.