Match Thread: Yeovil Town v Lincoln City | Page 21 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Yeovil Town v Lincoln City

Just got back. -4 coming through Bisham, frozen snow and ice and abandoned vehicles. A good trip; lovely staff at Yeovil encouraged me to take the dog in to watch the game rather than leave him in the car. That is a first.

Just about as comprehensive a victory as you are likely to witness. After the first ten minutes they were almost in awe, we were physically stronger and more able, and stuck to a game plan which was never really challenged. We never got out of third gear, and never needed to; almost a training ground display which will not have overly tired the players for the Bury game at the weekend.

I guess the highlight was the industry shown by Danny Rowe, he also knows how to sniff a goal out when in the box. Akinde plays so much better when's he is not marked tightly and realises he can beat players and make telling passes. Anderson was double marked for much of the game which afforded space to others. Everyone contributed positively, it would have been hard not to. Though Toff appeared very lucky not to see red for kicking their player in the head.

Finally, what a great effort by the fans, a superb turnout considering the distances travelled, getting back in the early hours, and temperatures around freezing.

Believe it: this squad is going to win the League.

UTI.

Last edited:
Agreed the chances we have limited both Grimsby and Yeovil albeit against sides that aren’t renowned for goals for, it’s nice to keep a clean sheet.

Big test against Bury in that respect but tonight’s game ensure a cushion regardless of the outcome.

Just got back. -4 coming through Bisham, frozen snow and ice and abandoned vehicles. A good trip; lovely staff at Yeovil encouraged me to take the dog in to watch the game rather than leave him in the car. That is a first.

Just about as comprehensive a victory as you are likely to witness. After the first ten minutes they were almost in awe, we were physically stronger and more able, and stuck to a game plan which was never really challenged. We never got out of third gear, and never needed to; almost a training ground display which will not have overly tired the players for the Bury game at the weekend.

I guess the highlight was the industry shown by Danny Rowe, he also knows how to sniff a goal out when in the box. Akinde plays so much better when's he is not marked tightly and realises he can beat players and make telling passes. Anderson was double marked for much of the game which afforded space to others. Everyone contributed positively, it would have been hard not to. Though Toff appeared very lucky not to see red for kicking their player in the head.

Finally, what a great effort by the fans, a superb turnout considering the distances travelled, getting back in the early hours, and temperatures around freezing.

Believe it: this squad is going to win the League.

UTI.
Did your dog enjoy the game?

Best you can get is Evens now for the title and 1/8 for promotion. Saturday might change it a little bit one way or the other. What a match to look forward to now.

Comfortable and fully controlled game- reminded me of Cheltenham away, Had some nice passages of play, defended well (Shacks and Bolger looked very assured and Bolger will learn quickly from Shacks). Bozzie in midfield was like he only ever played there, Rowe was busy, Pett ran the middle again. In fact, I would prefer Rowe to Andrade at County (when Andrade ban runs out).

First time at Huish park for me- rubbish journey down and not much better coming back (snow, roadworks, diversions,). Home and away fans getting their refreshments from the same tea bar was novel and much more how football should be.

Couldn't have gone better as a result and ready for Saturday now

The Yeovil match report thinks they weren't in any trouble until we scored and that they more than matched us - it didn't sound like that to me, but I was only listening:

"Having more than been in the game until the opener, Lincoln's strike did little to deter the hosts..."

"More than matching their top of the league opponents the Glovers looked comfortable heading towards the half-hour mark."

https://www.ytfc.net/news/2019/january/report--yeovil-town-0-2-lincoln-city/

Agreed the chances we have limited both Grimsby and Yeovil albeit against sides that aren’t renowned for goals for, it’s nice to keep a clean sheet.

Big test against Bury in that respect but tonight’s game ensure a cushion regardless of the outcome.
It's felt like we haven't conceded too many chances this season full stop, as DC alluded to post match.

Seemed as though most chances were being put away against us a few weeks back but hopefully these two cleans sheets is a bit of a turning point in that respect.

Big test keeping Bury out at the weekend, though. Highest L2 scorers vs 2nd highest scorers.

The Yeovil match report thinks they weren't in any trouble until we scored and that they more than matched us - it didn't sound like that to me, but I was only listening:

"Having more than been in the game until the opener, Lincoln's strike did little to deter the hosts..."

"More than matching their top of the league opponents the Glovers looked comfortable heading towards the half-hour mark."

Well it didn't sound like that and the stats back that up,one effort on target and we had 60% possession.
They sounded a very poor side.

'Apart from the letting in goals and the not scoring, we were well on top.'

...and five successive defeats for the mighty Cods without scoring a goal.
:yes:
Here's something interesting. The vast majority of Grimsby fans think they are a far better side this season, but statistically they are worse: last season they were 9 points clear of the bottom two after 29 games (on 35 points) - this year the gap is 7 points (on 34 points). With MK Dons and Newport up next, they could be back in the mire. Russell Slade didn't last much longer - he was sacked after the 33rd game when they were 9 points clear.

Funnily enough nearly every match report says the same after the wins this season, the opposition say they were the better team apart from us scoring more and we were incredibly lucky to win!