Match Thread - Wycombe Wanderers F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup | Vital Football

Match Thread - Wycombe Wanderers F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup

Result?

• Win

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Difficult to even guess the line-up for this.

Dele is likely to be out. Don't know if Gedson's been sent back. Is Lamela fit? and can he last 90 mins? Hoj could do with a rest. Is Jack Clarke now on loan?. Based on the Pool game midweek, how many will be held back?

Personally I'd like to see Son start with Vin and see how they gel. Might just surprise us. I say start Son, because imo, he needs a confidence boost as he's been out of sorts lately. If he nets a couple, sub him early.

Ideally want to see Berg on the scoresheet too.

Hart
Aurier, Rodon and Tanga with Davies as Capt.
Winks, Sissoko, Academy.
Berg, Son, Vin

Wycombe can't be taken lightly despite being bottom of Championship. They've only been spanked once and mostly losing by the odd goal.

A professional cohesive team performance please.

Dele is likely to be out. Don't know if Gedson's been sent back. Is Lamela fit? and can he last 90 mins? Hoj could do with a rest. Is Jack Clarke now on loan?. Based on the Pool game midweek, how many will be held back?

Personally I'd like to see Son start with Vin and see how they gel. Might just surprise us. I say start Son, because imo, he needs a confidence boost as he's been out of sorts lately. If he nets a couple, sub him early.

Hart
Winks, Sissoko, Academy.
Berg, Son, Vin

Wycombe can't be taken lightly despite being bottom of Championship. They've only been spanked once and mostly losing by the odd goal.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about seeing academy players for this one. Clarke is now out on loan with stoke, White is now with Pompey, Devine played on Friday for the under 23s, and Scarlett just played today for the under 18s. Hopefully Tanganga can get 90mins though.

I hear your good point about Son but I hope him, Kane and Hojbjerg can sit this one out. I might regret saying that if Son misses a glorious chance against Liverpool though

Hart
Winks, Sissoko, Academy.
Berg, Son, Vin

Good points. Will be very surprised if Bale doesn't play though, needs a hat trick to get him in the Liverpool squad, and Doherty will almost certainly start at RB.

I note the points made following my post and agree with them all, hence my opening line, it is difficult to predict what Jose may put out.

Yes, Dele is being mooted as injured, though my guess is it depends on how the talks of a potential loan to PSG progress over the weekend.

I almost forgot about Doc....such is his personality, so easily done!. Yes, he's likely a cert!

I really want to see Berg start and knock a couple in. Remember, it were HIS missed chances v Pool that we all (and Jose) rued. Son's been finding the woodwork of late and desperately needs to get back on track.

The game won't be as one sided as v Marine, so I think we'll need more than just Vinnie for this.

Last edited:
Surely no one or very few who will start against Liverpool will start this one.

Hart
Doherty Tanganga Rodon Davies
Sissoko Winks
Bale Lamela Moura
Vinicius
SNo1, that's a pretty good line up, you have a mixture of skill/talent and aggression there, it really should be good enough to beat Wycomb.

Surely no one or very few who will start against Liverpool will start this one.

Hart
Doherty Tanganga Rodon Davies
Sissoko Winks
Bale Lamela Moura
Vinicius
That looks like exactly the right team for this one. All of Doherty, Rodon, Davies and Sissoko may however be possibilities for the Liverpool game dependent on how Jose opts to set up for that match.

19 July 2003 - my only trip to Adams Park. WW 2 THFC 3

Spurs: Sullivan, S Kelly, Bunjevcevic, Gardner, Ziege (Galbraith, 35), Toda, Davies, Acimovic (Yeates, 73), Ricketts, Redknapp, Postiga (Slabber, 73). Subs: Jalal, Henry, Barnard, Foster.

I remember getting excited about 2nd half sub Mark Yeates......the new Gazza !!!

19 July 2003 - my only trip to Adams Park. WW 2 THFC 3

Spurs: Sullivan, S Kelly, Bunjevcevic, Gardner, Ziege (Galbraith, 35), Toda, Davies, Acimovic (Yeates, 73), Ricketts, Redknapp, Postiga (Slabber, 73). Subs: Jalal, Henry, Barnard, Foster.

I remember getting excited about 2nd half sub Mark Yeates......the new Gazza !!!
What a horrendous read. I've taken a view that Bale hasn't lifted his game since rejoining us, because he's a bit peeved about the games and elevens he's been included in, I'm sure that he believed that he would be an automatic starter alongside Kane and Son. Suspect that Redknapp will have felt pretty much the same when included in that line up.

What a horrendous read. I've taken a view that Bale hasn't lifted his game since rejoining us, because he's a bit peeved about the games and elevens he's been included in, I'm sure that he believed that he would be an automatic starter alongside Kane and Son. Suspect that Redknapp will have felt pretty much the same when included in that line up.

Probably not as bad as it seems. It was probably one of those where we had 2 games in 3 days in pre-season. This was the second group and I'm guessing Redknapp was recovering from yet another injury :-)

Jose Mourinho says Gareth Bale lacks confidence in his fitness and that he will consult the Welshman over whether or not he feels up to facing Wycombe in the FA Cup on Monday night.
After two difficult years at Real Madrid and having arrived back at Spurs with a knee injury, it has taken Bale longer than anyone expected to get up to speed in north London.
The 31-year-old has started just one Premier League game this season and played only 25 minutes in total - off the bench against eighth-tier Marine - since the turn of the year.

Bale has endured a number of injury problems during his time back at Tottenham but will feature against Championship side Wycombe should he feel ready.

The forward has a full week of training under his belt and regular game-time could be important, though Mourinho has also warned he will not give away minutes simply to play people into form.
Related
"This week he is working every minute like everybody else at a good intensity and let’s see the way he reacts to that load of work and how he reacts by the end of the week," said Mourinho. "If he feels, because it is also about his own feelings, if he feels that the week he had has had a positive impact on him and on his confidence, he will play.
"I cannot give players minutes. Minutes on the pitch is not something that I can give. I am going in this direction, we all know the difficulties he had in the last couple of seasons, we all know that he arrived injured and we all know that even this season a little bit up and down with small things.
"The most important thing for him is to be consistent training without problems. When a player is consistently training at high intensity without any problems, then the player is ready. Not to be given minutes but is ready to earn minutes and that is a different thing."

Dele Alli is also in need of a chance to impress in the FA Cup but is a doubt for the trip to Adams Park following a slight tendon injury, while Matt Doherty and Serge Aurier could also miss out.
Should Spurs get past Gareth Ainsworth's side they will face a trip to Everton in the fifth round after the Toffees’ comfortable win over Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday night.

Mourinho has promised that while there will still be changes, he will not send out a weak side on Monday.
"If we are knocked out it has to be because we are not good enough, not because we didn’t face the game with enough respect," said Mourinho.

"I don’t feel much difference between the Championship and Premier League. See Brentford, see the difficulties everybody has when they play against them. For me, that story doesn’t exist when we are speaking about the Championship.
"I had lots of experience in the FA Cup and, OK, Marine was an extreme situation but I played against League Two and League One. I won and I lost. I lost in a season when I was champion with Chelsea. We lost in the FA Cup at home against League One opponents [Bradford].
"It’s a pity the local people cannot enjoy it. It was a pity Marine people had to be in the streets. It’s a pity that Wycombe supporters cannot be in the stadium but I look to them not as a small team. They are Championship and the Championship is fully professional."

Jose Mourinho says Gareth Bale lacks confidence in his fitness and that he will consult the Welshman over whether or not he feels up to facing Wycombe in the FA Cup on Monday night.
After two difficult years at Real Madrid and having arrived back at Spurs with a knee injury, it has taken Bale longer than anyone expected to get up to speed in north London.
The 31-year-old has started just one Premier League game this season and played only 25 minutes in total - off the bench against eighth-tier Marine - since the turn of the year.

Bale has endured a number of injury problems during his time back at Tottenham but will feature against Championship side Wycombe should he feel ready.

The forward has a full week of training under his belt and regular game-time could be important, though Mourinho has also warned he will not give away minutes simply to play people into form.
Related
"This week he is working every minute like everybody else at a good intensity and let’s see the way he reacts to that load of work and how he reacts by the end of the week," said Mourinho. "If he feels, because it is also about his own feelings, if he feels that the week he had has had a positive impact on him and on his confidence, he will play.
"I cannot give players minutes. Minutes on the pitch is not something that I can give. I am going in this direction, we all know the difficulties he had in the last couple of seasons, we all know that he arrived injured and we all know that even this season a little bit up and down with small things.
"The most important thing for him is to be consistent training without problems. When a player is consistently training at high intensity without any problems, then the player is ready. Not to be given minutes but is ready to earn minutes and that is a different thing."

Dele Alli is also in need of a chance to impress in the FA Cup but is a doubt for the trip to Adams Park following a slight tendon injury, while Matt Doherty and Serge Aurier could also miss out.
Should Spurs get past Gareth Ainsworth's side they will face a trip to Everton in the fifth round after the Toffees’ comfortable win over Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday night.

Mourinho has promised that while there will still be changes, he will not send out a weak side on Monday.
"If we are knocked out it has to be because we are not good enough, not because we didn’t face the game with enough respect," said Mourinho.

"I don’t feel much difference between the Championship and Premier League. See Brentford, see the difficulties everybody has when they play against them. For me, that story doesn’t exist when we are speaking about the Championship.
"I had lots of experience in the FA Cup and, OK, Marine was an extreme situation but I played against League Two and League One. I won and I lost. I lost in a season when I was champion with Chelsea. We lost in the FA Cup at home against League One opponents [Bradford].
"It’s a pity the local people cannot enjoy it. It was a pity Marine people had to be in the streets. It’s a pity that Wycombe supporters cannot be in the stadium but I look to them not as a small team. They are Championship and the Championship is fully professional."

If Aurier and Doherty are out, I'm hoping this will be the big moment in Tanganga's season we've all been waiting for.