Match Thread - Wycombe Wanderers F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread - Wycombe Wanderers F.C. vs Tottenham Hotspur - FA Cup

Result?

• Win

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And for a striker his touch should be better too, the ball was bouncing off him like a pinball.

Again whilst it was disappointing, although the commentators didn't mention it, the pitch was rutted and the bounce of the ball was horrendous, they knew this and adjusted, we didn't deal with it so well and spent to much time getting to grips with the awkward and higher than usual spinning bounce by playing head-ball and keepy uppy ! Basically, they adapted or were used to it and we weren't.

Again whilst it was disappointing, although the commentators didn't mention it, the pitch was rutted and the bounce of the ball was horrendous, they knew this and adjusted, we didn't deal with it so well and spent to much time getting to grips with the awkward and higher than usual spinning bounce by playing head-ball and keepy uppy ! Basically, they adapted or were used to it and we weren't.

I, disagree the pitch didn't seem to affect Moura, Winks and to a lesser extent Bale, turning their markers and running into open spaces. Our problem is often the next step, where our lack of quality and end product invariably shows.

I, disagree the pitch didn't seem to affect Moura, Winks and to a lesser extent Bale, turning their markers and running into open spaces. Our problem is often the next step, where our lack of quality and end product invariably shows.

Re-watch the game and then come back and say that.

As I said, they need to be given great credit for how they got back quickly, closed the spaces and worked their guts out to deny us.

We really should be giving much more credit into how their set-up and tactical plan worked so well, we just lacked that type of finishing we have come to expect, the only major frustration was how many times their off-side trap caught Vinnie - it was easy to see, yet he still didn't bend his runs - and for a striker that should be second nature when you come across a high back line.

Unless he does more, I wouldn't pay them a quarter of what we've supposedly agreed to spend on him, or I'd even consider sending him back. Their Striker was much more impressive.
As I've said before Ex Vinnie all round game I don't think is good enough, when passes are hit into him he needs to make them stick and unfortunately he doesn't.
I would love to see Diego Costa here, whether he would be happy as back up I don't know

As I've said before Ex Vinnie all round game I don't think is good enough, when passes are hit into him he needs to make them stick and unfortunately he doesn't.
I would love to see Diego Costa here, whether he would be happy as back up I don't know

well, we could soon be Dad's army if you believed the chatter - Costa and Di Maria are supposedly both on Jose's Jan wish list....

Well a win is a win....next.

Did anyone get the same thought as me while watching last night..." here we go again its going to be one of those nights/games, generally dominating, poor finishing, hitting the woodwork 3 or 4 times, even off a deflection, bad luck etc"

But in the end Prem standard shone through...
Winks, way way better, coolly taken goal finish.
N'Dombele, starting to really look like what we paid for, calm as you like instep goal, followed by a "Ricky Villaesq" goal, excellent.
Bale, I thought is coming on, must remember just how rusty he is, lacking game practice and match fitness, he could quite easily have had a hat trick so I give him thumbs up for his 90mins.

If I was JM or a Spurs scout I would as others say have a look at the "man Mountain" of a striker of theirs.

Wycombe and Alice C, Ainsworth, well played all the best for staying in the Champiionship.

Re-watch the game and then come back and say that.

As I said, they need to be given great credit for how they got back quickly, closed the spaces and worked their guts out to deny us.

I don't need to details of our matches remain etched in my memory. Maybe you should rewatch the match and tell me that Winks and Moura didn't turn their markers and run into open spaces.

I don't need to details of our matches remain etched in my memory. Maybe you should rewatch the match and tell me that Winks and Moura didn't turn their markers and run into open spaces.

Of course they did, but if you couldn't read how badly the ball was bouncing around, you can't see the effect it had on all their control, including Moura.

Of course they did, but if you couldn't read how badly the ball was bouncing around, you can't see the effect it had on all their control, including Moura.

So, the perceived state of the pitch, repeatedly came into being after Winks and Moura did the difficult part of turning their markers. Hmm! So is this general lack of quality, and end product also the case on pristine PL pitches too!?

So, the perceived state of the pitch, repeatedly came into being after Winks and Moura did the difficult part of turning their markers. Hmm! So is this general lack of quality, and end product also the case on pristine PL pitches too!?

You always see it as you want to see, but funnily enough, I've spoken to one of our players this morning, we had a good conversation about the pitch. :thumbup:

Missed my first full match view of Spurs for several years last night. The late matches in the UK are very late here, starting at 10PM and finishing around midnight. After a number of hours travelling yesterday I fell asleep thirty minutes into the game, maybe indicative of the game, and only woke up again ten minutes from the end. Guess I saw everything worth seeing. Based on the game generally, for me there are two main observations.
We have some decent squad players capable of stepping in individually and playing their part when necessary with the better players around them. Collectively though, and this has now been proven on a number off occasions, they would struggle to perform as a team at Championship level.
We have half of a very good midfield in Hojbjerg and Ndombele, and it is great to see Tanguy becoming a third scoring option in the team. It is only half though, with a danger currently of Hojbjerg and/or Ndombele burning out as a result of the workload they carry, We need another defensive and attacking midfielder of the same quality. In terms of existing players, with Dele seemingly out of the equation, those two players are Winks and Lo Celso. I'm not convinced that either of them are genuine top level players.

Missed my first full match view of Spurs for several years last night. The late matches in the UK are very late here, starting at 10PM and finishing around midnight. After a number of hours travelling yesterday I fell asleep thirty minutes into the game, maybe indicative of the game, and only woke up again ten minutes from the end. Guess I saw everything worth seeing. Based on the game generally, for me there are two main observations.
We have some decent squad players capable of stepping in individually and playing their part when necessary with the better players around them. Collectively though, and this has now been proven on a number off occasions, they would struggle to perform as a team at Championship level.
We have half of a very good midfield in Hojbjerg and Ndombele, and it is great to see Tanguy becoming a third scoring option in the team. It is only half though, with a danger currently of Hojbjerg and/or Ndombele burning out as a result of the workload they carry, We need another defensive and attacking midfielder wof the same quality. In terms of existing players, with Dele seemingly out of the equation, those two players are Winks and Lo Celso. I'm not convinced that either of them are genuine top level players.
I think you summed it up perfectly. Glad Spurs helped your health with the much needed sleep without resorting to pills!

I was a tad surprised that Berg didn't get a look in while we risked the trio of Kane, Son & ND.

I have just watched the game again, I always record em, any hows what EX said about the pitch is correct, yes Lucas and Winks did turn their players a few times, but in general the ball did bounce oddly most of the time, in the more central area's, we did see better ball control on the out side of the pitch where it seemed to be in far better condition.

I enjoyed it more the 2nd time, I wonder why lol! the trouble was the majority of finishing was still very poor and never changed lol!

Great Cup tie, all credit to High Wycombe who showed great discipline and fight - rode their luck but that was more down to our poor finishing than anything else.

knew they wouldn't be a push over and they played well above themselves, it was scary to see Toby struggling so badly against their striker, who looked like an absolute man mountain for a player and knew exactly how to use his strengths.

I seriously would go back and take another look at him, because if he can cause us the problems he did, he looked to me to be a serious contender for a plan b..
He did nothing but push our defenders with his arms and of course the ref loved him doing it to us. In our shirt they would send him off.