Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 38 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Classic low placed team at home to the top team today on a windy day and a bobbly pitch especially with the home team on the back of a 5-0 whipping. It looked an obvious nailed on banana skin and we showed a different way to normal to get the win. We’ve played teams off the park with slick passing and great skill and cruised to the 3 points but today we got the 3 points by battling, scrapping and riding our luck. 10 away wins from 14 is Promotion form and the 3 points today showed we can win ugly. Having said that the real piece of team quality secured the winning goal and so deservedly won the game.
On another note Callum Laing looks a real player. Looked a good player when on loan at Oldham against us in Lg2. 22 yrs old, signed for Wigan 4 yrs ago and played 100 ish games out on loan and scored 30 ish goals and only played 10 games for Wigan. For that judgement alone Wigan deserve to be where they are, Laing would be great in a MApp style team.

Think I saw him play, but remember nowt about him. Seems he was born in Scampton and played down the road for Ingham !!
Didn't play long (or very well as I recall) but interesting that he was born in my current neck of the woods. Thanks for that, must do some local research when allowed to mingle again.

Just seen the 2 min highlights - their goal had foul in buildup and it took a deflection. The winner was a far better goal from start to finish.

they gave hopper no credit for that -

I had Sky Soccer Saturday on in the background.

Commenting on the goal Jeff Stelling said it was a really good finish, but the defence allowed too much space, Hopper

It's more whining than moaning really but said the opposition were poor and didn't deserve anything from the game - and on and on and on....
There's loads of his post match interviews on YouTube that are just the same if they don't win, it's hilarious

Wasn't at our best, but just felt really important that we won today and we did. That said, amazing to think that not are our best still means our keeper didn't really have to do much!

Talk about App coaching young players and making them better - but feel Jackson, Walsh and Hopper have all come on leaps and bounds as well despite being our more experienced players. Just shows can always improve with great coaching. Great goal from Hops.

First time since we've had to listen to away commentary it has irked me a little, thought they were very biased. But imagine aways fan feel like that with BBC Lincs.

And how is Kettle still a ref at this level?

Hope Skully is ok or going to place a serious burden on young Rogers and Johnson, the later of which is looking quite tired at the moment already.

A win on Tuesday gains more importance with Posh hot on our heels.
Just hope we don't run out of players!
This is my worry. Last weekend a lot of us, myself included, were saying we should rest one of Johnson or Rogers and play Scully or Anderson instead, and rotate the 4. It seems like we will have to go with Johnson and Rogers again on Thursday. From being seemingly well covered in most positions in January, we are now looking threadbare. No cover anywhere really outside of the full-back positions.

Though it was Brian Stainton. And yes, he got his place when Brian Heward emigrated, although Heward I think came back within a year. 1964? 1965?

Just realised I am very old. (: