Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City | Page 34 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City

Just got to grind them out, at times. We almost needed to prove to ourselves that we are capable of difficult challenges. Wigan sounded a complete different animal to Tuesday, and have a chance of staying up with performances like that.

Looking at the results it turned out to be a massive 3pts. Let’s hope we can capitalise on that Tuesday night at home.

Thanks again for your company imps. I’m slightly worse for wear but off to make a chicken madras for later. What could possibly go wrong.

Its been a tough few weeks. As some of you know my 84 year old mum in a care home caught Covid. All 7 of them in the Lincolnshire home survived and made a full recovery. Then a few days later my mum had a fall and broke her hip. You couldn’t make it up.

i couldn’t visit her in Lincoln County Hospital as they said no visitors. She refused an ECG asking for my dad (Died in 2019). After pretending to be my dad over the surgeons phone (mum has dementia) she agreed. Bottom line full hip replacement and all is well.

Apologies for the download but I needed to vent amongst my fellow imps.

enjoy the rest of the weekend. UTI 🔴⚪

Tough times mate. Feel free to vent away any time

We really did look like we were running on empty today. It was shear grit and determination that saw us through today. No idea what the card count was either. Could do with a week off but Swindon midweek before a long trip to a very tricky game against Argyle. Hopefully the Bristol job will be sorted soon. Can’t be doing with MAPP rumours adding to the stress🤪

Thanks again for your company imps. I’m slightly worse for wear but off to make a chicken madras for later. What could possibly go wrong.

Its been a tough few weeks. As some of you know my 84 year old mum in a care home caught Covid. All 7 of them in the Lincolnshire home survived and made a full recovery. Then a few days later my mum had a fall and broke her hip. You couldn’t make it up.

i couldn’t visit her in Lincoln County Hospital as they said no visitors. She refused an ECG asking for my dad (Died in 2019). After pretending to be my dad over the surgeons phone (mum has dementia) she agreed. Bottom line full hip replacement and all is well.

You are amongst friends here Stevie .We wish your Mother well and crack on with that madras,

Although it was a good three points under the circumstances you really have to be concerned about performance levels.

Ever since I praised the physical condition of the players they've looked lacking in energy, especially at the end of games which was previously a big strength.

Not just that Wigan should have got a draw, at least, out of that, since Doncaster most of the good football has only been on display sporadically.

Today was different as the wind and bouncy pitch made it a battle against the elements as well but in both games against Hull, as well as Sunderland, and the first half especially against Accrington we've been really passive and pretty much sat back, but without the usual dynamism to get forward on the break, The winner today was a return to that but then we just allowed Wigan to create chance after chance.

Too many players on their heels, seemingly unable to pass it properly any more and a lot more defensive insecurity than we've been used to.

Let's hope this has been the bad run, as the team has still been getting good results, but it can't be ignored.

Winning ugly, another building block in place. That last 10 minutes + 5 was tough though!

As other results have showed today, results, results, results. No one gets an asterisk against their points total at the end of the season to indicate some were a bit lucky.

Really made hard work of it, credit to Wigan who had a game plan and tried to make it work, with better finishing they would have done, though I still think Grant was fouled in the build up to their goal. Whether the pitch, variable wind, Wigan's physicality or all 3, the players looked drained at times and that's the worry going forward. Need to hope Scully's injury not too serious, and need Archibald up to spped and Morton hopefully getting nearer to fitness.

Classy, classy piece of work by Hopper for the winner.

Possible coupon busters:

1. Us obviously,
2. Acc v Shrews : Shrews have only lost 2 of 9 matches against current top 8 sides.
3. Portsmouth v Blackpool : Blackpool have only lost 2 of 8 matches against current top 8 sides (unbeaten in last 5 v top 8).

Basically anyone could beat anyone!

I reckon I might claim that as a win. Wouldn't have put money on it though.

As far as we're concerned, brilliant result. Worried we're running out of energy and players. Looking forward to a big gap between fixtures Tuesday to Saturday - 3 whole days without a match!!

Winning ugly, another building block in place. That last 10 minutes + 5 was tough though!

As other results have showed today, results, results, results. No one gets an asterisk against their points total at the end of the season to indicate some were a bit lucky.

Really made hard work of it, credit to Wigan who had a game plan and tried to make it work, with better finishing they would have done, though I still think Grant was fouled in the build up to their goal. Whether the pitch, variable wind, Wigan's physicality or all 3, the players looked drained at times and that's the worry going forward. Need to hope Scully's injury not too serious, and need Archibald up to spped and Morton hopefully getting nearer to fitness.

Classy, classy piece of work by Hopper for the winner.
And Grant - a dream ball.

We were bloody awful , a performance not helped by squad injuries, the pitch and wind. We appear to be running on empty. However Johnson and Rogers have been terrible in these conditions and lets hope Scully and Anderson are back soon. I am not sure how we didn't lose but form on the pitch is a concern. Could do with four cancelled games so the grass grows a bit!!

You're mum's a tough cookie - absolutely chuffed for you that she is ok, hope the hip replacement goes well and that she recovers quickly and fully.

As for venting? We're all Imps and you're in good company. Vent away.

Great stuff about being your dad - at uni, when refused a permit to park on campus, I used to visit myself. Being a mature student has its bonuses...

5 out of 7 at home. Although the away form has been far more rewarding, it should help resting the players between games short term.