Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Villa v West Ham under the Monday Night Lights

Marvelous played very well for his first home Premiership game. I know a few of his passes were misplaced, but give him a couple of games to get match sharp and he will be the anchor we are looking for. Al Gahzi, not for me thank you.
Another great crowd tonight. I just wish people would come to watch the game instead of food and drink making you get up and down like a friggin yo yo.

The highlight of the night, he was Marvelous! If he gave the ball way he went and got it back . He looks the real McCoy

I don't know what to make of Jota. He is way too slow to be a winger, too weak to be a midfielder, incredibly inconsistent and yet could win you the game. He might be more suited to attacking midfield trying to play those wizard balls into Wesley.
He is also somewhat predictable and he cuts in from the right onto his left foot. He wasike this when playing for the scum.
Either coach him to take the man on and Ho around the back or play him on the left wing.
He can do it and I think Dean Smith knows how to get the best out him, but he does need to move quicker and to go outside and then get to the byline.

I thought they all worked their balls off last night, McGinn and Grealish just ran out of puff last 20 minutes and we became sloppy with the ball.

It`s just a lack of quality in a few areas, Taylor is doing well but just cannot create at this level - just not powerful enough, so we have no threat from the players they allow to have the ball.

Jota, El-Ghazi and Wes.....hmmmm nah, not gonna cut it are they - trying their best.

I`m still seeing Elmo play, i am scratching my head how this is happening.

Hourihane and Lansbury for me last night over Elmo and Luiz.

That was us at full pelt and i am not convinced we have enough going forward, but cannot knock the effort at all.

Why not? They could have easily both been sent off if there was a bit more to it. Remember Lee Bowyer and Kieran Dyer against us.

Yes, but they were out-and-out swinging for each other. Last night was just a combo of frustration and passion. It was all over within 5 seconds.

My biggest concern with Wesley though, is that I don't even see the potential. He doesn't look to have anything that Davis doesn't have.
Ah, come on now. The run and finish for Wesley's goal against Everton, I'd need to be resuscitated if Davis did that. Wesley has the attributes, but desperately needs some more coaching. Get in an ex pro for extra sessions.

Wesley was and is a strange one for me, I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong that Deano has ever played with a big lump striker at his previous clubs.
I thought in the summer what a strange signing Wesley was, especially as we have two similar players in Koj and Davis.
We really are short on options aren't we

The positives, only conceded one goal in the last three games. Not too far back we conceded goals like a sieve and that was in the Championship. Further forward we are not there yet.
Jack took a captain’s responsibility to make something happen, by the last 20 minutes probably tried too hard. McGinn had good moments during the match but nowhere near enough of them. I didn’t see much connection between Jack and SJM and unless the latter can get on the ball more often we’re going to struggle in the middle of the park unless additional support is brought in.
Jota struggled with the ball all evening and he and Anwar spent as much time defending as attacking. Not once did they get to the byline to pull a cross back, Jack did and Wesley should have scored from it. Wesley has nice feet at times but looks abysmal in the air, particularly for a big man. You can see us getting overrun away from home if we put that group out. Plenty of time yet and we can build from the strength we have at the back. I admire and totally support Dean’s emphasis on attack and he has plenty of options as he tries to get the balance right.

Jota isn't a winger in my humble opinion , he just hasn't got the pace to beat a man , get to the byline and whip a cross in. I reckon he would make a decent No. 10 though.

Last edited:
I'd play Hause all day over Taylor and before anyone says he's a CB , I'll remind them Tyrone was a left-back
Hause is a proper man who won't need a fanny like El Ghazi to cover him

For me Hause is the best LB at the club (unless we count TM3). Taylor has been steady this season imho but shouldn’t be allowed past the halfway line

Wouldn’t make any difference if we had Kane up front a striker can only score with good delivery and others playing off him , I fear that at present Wesley is isolated up front and feeding off scraps. Both our wide players failed to deliver quality , hence why Elmo came on. Need a rethink on our attacking style, we need to create and score more if we want to survive.

Wouldn’t make any difference if we had Kane up front a striker can only score with good delivery and others playing off him , I fear that at present Wesley is isolated up front and feeding off scraps. Both our wide players failed to deliver quality , hence why Elmo came on. Need a rethink on our attacking style, we need to create and score more if we want to survive.

Eddy don't we hear this about every striker we've had since lord knows when sometimes they have to show a bit themselves?
Same with fullbacks can't keep blaming wingers not tracking back for shite fullbacks. They have to do their own jobs now and then,

Come back from a weekend in Madrid late yesterday afternoon, didn’t extend the trip to Valencia as I wanted to come back to watch this match, wish I had now. Best summed up as one to forget, wasn’t the best. Hard to really pick out any individual performances, the defence did well I guess. Mings and Engels are a pretty solid pairing, fit or not Chester isn’t displacing either of them. Wesley is just a lot of huff and puff, I’m sure there’s a good striker in there but it’s not a 20 goal a season one. The only player I can never really fault is McGinn, always puts a shift in and unlike some of the others he didn’t have 2 weeks off. Absolutely need to be taking advantage of teams with 10 men, tbh you’d never have known they playing with 10 men after the sending off unless someone told you.

Can’t see us getting anything Sunday which makes these missed points all the more important.

Looks like our defence is well sorted and as good as anybody in this league, pity the same can't be said for our strikeforce, i dont support the fact our main striker is not getting the service, standing there expecting the ball at your feet and complaining when its not, is getting us nowhere. move your arse and create something. I will be glad when Kodjia is fit as i think he will be better.

so we are holding our own plus not really being over run by experienced top prem teams with a complete new squad after 5 games in a league we have no real right to be in but you cant see improvement?
ok.

What I was saying is improvement this season from the first game to this one. We still do not look like a team that has gelled. We look disjointed and are toothless up front.

No doubt Wesley is isolated , but having said that his hold up play isn't the best and the other players haven't got time get time to get around him.

No doubt he is finding the step up in class difficult as are one or two others , but he has to improve.